Richmond Branch

Hello everybody

Thanks for the comments on my topic.

I haven´t be at Richmond museum, I would go there last November but than it was closed for the wintertime

I hope to go there this spring.

My girlfriend of Brompton on Swale did contact the museum for me last November and the man who she did spoke to send me a lot of pictures that was very very nice of him.

I will look for the railway book about the Catterick Camp Railway thank you very much for that tip.

Thaks

Henk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lovely modelling :)

I live quite close to there - can always pop over if you need a sudden view of something you have forgotten..

we have a couple of nice museums if you make it up to Darlington - and I can always offer a loo break if you are on the bike and we are around!

look forward to seeing how this develops

cheers

Andy

Andy

Andy I find it very nice what you offer me, I will notice it in my mind and will ask you if neccesary.

In November, I visited the Head of Steam museum in Darlington (English)

Greets

Henk

• 4 years later...

Update with new pictures of my n gauge layout

I build the buildings only from cardboard and paper the trees are made with a frame of metal wire.

If someone has information about the signals used on richmond's yard then I will like to hear that.

Greetz Henk

mijn model 9.jpg

mijn model 1.jpg

mijn model 2.jpg

mijn model 3.jpg

mijn model 4.jpg

mijn model 6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work, here is a picture of the model in Richmondshire Museum.

IMG_3001.JPG.b7845f0c86d7fcec8ceaae73acf3ab45.JPG

Here is a copy of the LNER track plans and you can see the signals on these. 

Track Plans.pdf

The museum is closed to the public during the winter months but there are almost always folk working on maintenance and making new displays during that time. Working groups are usually in on a Tuesday and if you just wanted to see the model and did not mind avoiding wet paint and folk working, you would be welcome on a Tuesday if you made arrangements in advance. E-mail admin@richmondshiremuseum.org.uk and mention that Jim said to contact them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Jim

I did visit the museum some years ago and have seen the model railway there.

The circels are ground signals I think .

I have to make a small study of Britishs signaling I think.

Is it right that the semaphore signal at the end of the platform are starters aswel the semaphore on the entrance of the goods yard?

Henk

• 1 month later...
On 17/11/2019 at 13:30, henkholland said:

Jim I will visiting Richmond next spring when I will see a friend who lives in Brompton on swale

I go to Richmond almost every year but next time I will buy some loco and wagons in England aswell.

Thanks again

Great work.

Make sure you go to the cinema and the museum when there!

EDIT: A member of my model railway club is a denizen of Brompton.  I wonder if he is your friend?

Edited by Edwardian

I'm sure she is not a member of your model railway club

Last days I'm working on n gauge semaphore signals

The prototype is almost ready the lights are working now I have to develop the best way for the movement of it.

Best wishes for 2020 for everybody on this forum.

Henk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi

New pictures of my 2 mm Richmond branch model railway.

Lot of people have to stay home at this time, so I have enough tie to put some new pictures on RM web.

I work on it  every day for a couple of hours.

This time yoou also see the first semaphore signals in n gauge, home made, working and with lights.

The ladders are not yet assembled to the signs because the are to fragile, even the signs are the post is only 2 mm square brass.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

rm1.jpg

rm2.jpg

rm3.jpg

rm4.jpg

rm5.jpg

rm6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Great to see a model of Richmond.  I live very near there in Brompton on Swale and did a lot of research just a few months ago with a view to building this in 0 gauge.  As it turned out there isn't quite enough space in my shed so I had to abandon the idea - it was a very big area.  

However, during the research I uncovered a lot of old photos and got some screenshots of the old movie reel - a video compilation of the station in its former glory that they play on screens in 'The Station' as it is now called.  I also took my own photos of the area and buildings as they are now, some of which are very well preserved.

If you can use any of this material I'll be very happy to let you have it.  Good luck with the project.

Cheers ... Alan

Edited by Alan Kettlewell

Hi Alan

When I visit England than I visit Brompton on Swale every time to see a friend who's living there.

I have stayed a lot of time in the bunk barn  by Chris and Rose.

It's a beautifull station in Richmond and I can understand that it is a pity that you have not enough space in your shed to build it.

Thanks for the offer to share the material with me but my girlfriend in B-o-S has already arranged a copy of the stationfilm for me in 2015, from the museum in Richmond, further I bought the book North Eastern Branch Termini writen by Ken Hoole.

And when you are looking on internet you will find beautifull pictures of the subject BUT NEVER ENOUGH.

At the moment I try to build the bracket signal on the platform but that is hard to make it working and with light in it.

It is to small for all the details but my idee of modeling is when it is much to small to build leave it away so I will build the bracket signal but only with the uprights and not with all the cross connections in it.

• Agree 1

Having a copy of the film footage is great for your project.  Nice one.  

I read this book (link to Amazon below).  As the title suggests it's a bit more about the Catterick sub-branch but there is some very interesting info about the whole line from the North Eastern main line through to Richmond and Catterick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catterick-Military-Railway-Richmond-Branch/dp/B00470LQEI

Worth a read if you can get hold of it.

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Alan

have ooked at your contributions on this forum nice work in brass indeed.

Many years ago I did the same and build some locos of the dutchs railways.

The locomotor we call it goat in Holland.

The steam driven one is a 8800 and it comes to Holland after the WW11 and it is still running at Stoom Stichting Nederland in Rotterdam.

20200524_160936.jpg

20200524_160943.jpg

• Like 1