Push-pull gear for a 1P 0-4-4T

I'm in the throws of (slowly) building a Midland 1P tank from the Craftsman kit. Considering it came without the instructions, I think it's going fairly well, helped along by the largely pictorial article in Hornby mag from a couple of years ago. The worst thing I've done is fit the tanks on opposite sides. One has a hole for the handbrake, I've got to fill that one and drill one on the correct side

Can't grumble really, the kit came complete with wheels, two motors (a brand new X04 and MRRC XO4 type five pole) and most castings duplicated for the princely sum of £10.

I've substituted the motor for a small Mashima I had from another kit I bought, a Little Engines D11, that one cost £20!

Anyhow, Midland stuff isn't my first area of interest but it'll make a 'cute' loco for our new layout. The one I want to finish it as was 58065, one of the ones which used to work the 'Southwell Paddy' from Rolleston Junction on the Nottingham-Lincoln line.

It was push-pull fitted but I only have a couple of photos of the loco to work from, none of which really show the push-pull gear well enough to have a go at scratchbuilding a representation. As it's pretty prominent on what is quite a small loco, I think I really should try to fit it, otherwise I'll always know it's missing. :no:

I've looked at Craftsman's catalogue and it seems that their 1P has the push-pull gear fitted, but it's not listed as a separate item

So does anyone know if there's a casting available please? Alternatively is there a drawing available so that I could have a go at making something correct-ish?

Thanks in advance 

The only castings I found when I was building my 1P (see here) were of a much later type, so I made my own representation of the regulator mechanism. There's a useful photo here, and others in Essery & Jenkinson, An Illustrated History of Midland Locomotives from 1883, vol 3, 1988, Wild Swan, and a drawing of the regulator gear in James, Hunt & Essery Midland Engines No 1, 1999, Wild Swan.

Nick

I'm not sure if the gear was all the same but Dave Alexander does a set for a G5, was the Midland/LMS gear the same as NER/LNER or could it be adapted?

Thanks for the reply, no idea myself, somebody else will probably be along shortly to advise. Does he have a website? I don't see it on a quick google. 

The only castings I found when I was building my 1P (see here) were of a much later type, so I made my own representation of the regulator mechanism. There's a useful photo here, and others in Essery & Jenkinson, An Illustrated History of Midland Locomotives from 1883, vol 3, 1988, Wild Swan, and a drawing of the regulator gear in James, Hunt & Essery Midland Engines No 1, 1999, Wild Swan.

Nick

Many thanks for that, I'll have to look in the club library for those books. We have a couple of Midland modellers but I don't think they've done anything push-pull. Barely over half an hour and the questions been answered!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply, no idea myself, somebody else will probably be along shortly to advise. Does he have a website? I don't see it on a quick google. 

No website but he can be contacted by phone

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40348-AlexanderModels

Alan Gibson does castings for the MR/LMS/BR vac equipment.

See http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Catalogue.pdf page 9 4M757 Push/pull gear. I have bought a set of these for stock and they are good representations.

Regards

Any chance of a photo? The description "MR/LMS/BR" is rather wide ranging and, although the principle is the same, the appearance of the gear on the 1P and, say, an Ivatt or Fowler 2-6-2T are rather different. In these later types, the vacuum diaphragm is mounted higher on the smokebox side rather than on the running plate, and the cylinder is integral with the steam pipe cover. Some useful photos here.

Nick

Any chance of a photo? The description "MR/LMS/BR" is rather wide ranging and, although the principle is the same, the appearance of the gear on the 1P and, say, an Ivatt or Fowler 2-6-2T are rather different. In these later types, the vacuum diaphragm is mounted higher on the smokebox side rather than on the running plate, and the cylinder is integral with the steam pipe cover. Some useful photos here.

Nick

In my ignorance I assumed that they all much of a muchness, but in view of AGW's Midland bias perhaps it's very much a MR jobbie. Having looked at the photos I'm thoroughly confused, perhaps the AGW casting are not what I took them to be.

post-5728-0-37438600-1426527919.jpg

Sorry about the colour I didn't want to take it out of the pack.

Regards

Thanks for that PB, looks like a trip to York show may be required, it's only a couple of weeks away and would be a decent excuse to go. I know that it would be cheaper and quicker by mail order but I was undecided about York as I only have the Sunday off work, so........ 

In my ignorance I assumed that they all much of a muchness, but in view of AGW's Midland bias perhaps it's very much a MR jobbie. Having looked at the photos I'm thoroughly confused, perhaps the AGW casting are not what I took them to be....

Thanks for the photo, David. As others have said, that would be fine for the 1P. Not sure how I missed that one when I built my 1P.

Nick

Archived