7 completed 3 L&Y & 1 Midland loco in progress.

Well I had planned on getting the N7 finished but I found a problem with the chassis. I had soldered a plate on the bottom of the chassis to mount some pick ups & I think it heated the solder round the bearing & moved it a touch. It took some real head scratching to find the issue but I think I've sorted it.

I'm not doing much more on the N7 now because i've various hospital appointments this week & I head to the Isle of man Saturday for my annual 2 week holiday.

I have done some minor work on the body though fitting the westinghouse brake gear.

Apart from my hiccup this is a joy of a model kit To build It really is.

I took a trip to Haworth yesterday to see one of my all time favorite locos which is now out of service. It's parked in Oxenhope shed & I took some images of its lining which is my next project number 957.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the holiday blues of our spoilt isle of man trip has finally settled & I decided to do some modelling yesterday.

The N7 has been on the bench for quite a few weeks now. I had trouble with the chassis but that's finally sorted although I need to re do the pick ups because I placed a temporary set up on there to check it ran.

I started yesterday to finish off the body. I wasn't happy with the westinghouse brake pluming so I re did it & finished off the rest of the handrails & fitting of castings.

This morning I finished up the body & got it cleaned & dried. I've now got the body sprayed mart black ready for lining & painting plus weathering. This along with the J50 are both locos I built to run on our club layout we are currently constructing. I shall post some photos later once I've put it back on the chassis & got it ready for a trip to my friends for lining. I'd like to line it out myself but I am terrible with both transfers & paint so I will let my mate do it for me.

Simon

• Like 2

I've been chipping away at the N7 & getting her finished as i said in my previous post.

Today i fitted the coupling rods & added new pick ups which have improved the model no end. Shes running beautifully smooth now i am really happy with the result. I can't do anymore now except fit some couplings which i will do this evening.

Here is the result of my efforts 

post-8269-0-05146300-1433693056_thumb.jpg

I've started the the chassis on the Barton Wright class 25 which will be finished as 957 in L&Y livery. The only thing i have done today is assemble the basic frames of the loco which was a very hassle free job. 

I need to drill the gibson wheels but i cant get to a pillar drill until tuesday so it will have to wait.

post-8269-0-80249700-1433693040_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now 

Simon

• Like 5

I've been working on the barton wright over the past couple of days. I've had a few issues with the chassis which ended up being the wheel quartering.

Today I built the tender chassis & got the footplate built with valences bufferbeam & drag box. The last thing i did was solder the boiler up & straighten the firebox on the boiler tube.

Hopefully i should be able to update thread with pictures over the weekend.

Simon

Hey up Mark.

Cheers, found the Instructions a little vague in places regarding body fixings but I've sussed it out.

I passed Brierfield box last week just a patch on the ground now which is a shame.

Simon

I'm up early this morning & I've got the bit between my teeth.

I'm planning to have the body finished today so I can have it primed & painted tomorrow all being well. If I succeed it should be lined out by Thursday & then I can crack on with the chassis to get it running but I need to buy so phosphoric acid first so I can work in comfort around gibson wheels whilst soldering.

Fingers crossed I get a good run today & maybe I can have the tender done too.

Simon

I've been working on 957 & the body is now completed & out for lining. Its been a very good model to build this with hardly any problems at all. I'm really looking forward to building some more LRM kits. I'm not sure which to do next the radial tank or the J3.

post-8269-0-21103600-1434571808_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-82216200-1434571818_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-75616200-1434571827_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow i am planning to hopefully get the pick ups fitted & the chassis finished off but i think i might need to get some more paint. I'm going through black spray paint like it is going out of fashion. I'm going to try & buy it in bulk so i don't run dry when i need it.

That's all for now.

Simon

• Like 3

For the past few days I've been working on a new kit. The barton wright body is out for lining so I've stopped that build for now. I've also run out of black paint for the chassis.

I started the tender for a J3 which will be finished as 64105 in early br livery. It's an Ardsley engine just right for our club layout. I've just about completed the tender body & I must say a very enjoyable build with all pieces fitting as they should.

I'm going to start the loco body today & see where it takes me. I will photograph the bits as I build them & document the body. The tender I got stuck into & forgot to take pictures.

Simon

Well I was going to crack on with the J3 but I decided I wanted to start the l&y radial tank. It's a long bunker version which will be completed in lancashire & yorkshire railway livery. Made a good start on the footplate. I've 2 going at once now scary to think this is 7 & 8.

Simon

I've been a little quite posting of late but i have been busy building kits & trips to hospital with my missus. 

Anyway i've had to stop the barton wright class 25 for the time being until the body is back from lining out.Rather than wait for that to return to finish i decided to plough on with the L&Y 2-4-2 kit & the J3. Having made 3 of the LRM kits i must say they are a real mixed bag of kits from the excellent to the jidenco ish design. This 2-4-2 is certainly a semi scratch build & it does show its age. Saying that it is going together well. I think it might be a bit out to the purist but i have tried my best with it to make it presentable. Hopefully once it is painted & lined out it won't look too bad. 

post-8269-0-68544200-1435505458_thumb.jpg

This is where i am at the moment with the 2-4-2. I am going to jig up the chassis this evening or tomorrow but it is a very over complex etch for my tastes & not like the other LRM kits. I'n not grumbling though because without them we wouldnt be able to model pre grouping & there fun to make because they test your skill.

Now alongside the 2-4-2 i have been chugging away with a J3. I started with the Stirling tender that came with the kit & again it has some challenging metalwork with flared sides & a single piece top / coal bunker which needs curving & forming. I actually thought it would be a right royal pain in the arse but it was a rather enjoyable hassle free build. I finished the body off with paint & transfers.

post-8269-0-02430100-1435505503_thumb.jpg

I've now started working on the loco body. You might think there is a lot of body making going here at the moment & your right. I don't have any money spare for wheels & motor / gearboxes at the moment so i thought i would do what i could with the kits i have. The other reason i built the tender first is i wasn't looking forward to building the 1 piece curved cab that is on great northern locos. I managed to do it in 1 go & it is more or less perfect i am super chuffed with this J3 kit i would recommend it to anyone it is very well designed & fits without hardly any fettle.

post-8269-0-58611500-1435505468_thumb.jpg

This kit has quite a lot of curves & forming which is a nice challenge & it is designed so well that it goes together without trouble. I've built up a single splasher so far but it wasn't a hard job.

post-8269-0-89482500-1435505479_thumb.jpg

I'm gonig to jig up the chassis for this kit also this next week so it is a case of fitting the wheels to both models, adding brakes & picks / motor & there done.

Thats all for now.

Simon

post-8269-0-88310200-1435505492_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Right quick update.

For the past few days I've been working on the J3.

I had a few problems with the smokebox wrappers. I couldn't get the boiler level with all the wrappers so I discarded 1 all together & it's sitting better. In places I have to admit it's been fudged!! I couldn't form part of the smokebox because either I cocked it up or the instructions wasn't clear either way it's not brilliant. Luckily it should be hidden well when I put on the sandboxes on the splashers but it's not perfect.

I've built the chassis today which was a breeze & it's rolling sweetly now. I'm going to dismantle it tomorrow & finish off all the details then get it ready for paint. I want this finished by next Sunday so I can test it at our small scales show at the club.

I shall update properly with some photos soon.

Here are some images of the J3 chassis & the tender with wheels & the body on the chassis.

Its starting to look like a J3 now. 

post-8269-0-83764700-1435875428_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-70972500-1435875409_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-97275000-1435875418_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it should be finished by this time next week & i can test it on the club layout.

Simon

• Like 5

Just a quick update.

Today I fitted all the cab handrails, the boiler handrails & most of the castings on the loco. I've also fitted the sandboxes & the rear splashers which I had to scratch build because the ones supplied wouldn't fit properly.

The rear splashers were a pain & I've blobbed solder in the corners to try & fill the gaps & create a solid part for the crank splashers. I can't say this kit has impressed me, the tender was fantastic but the loco isn't the best if I am honest. Still i'm happy it is going together & fingers crossed once it is built, painted & weathered it will look ok. That said I fudged another of my kits & it looks fantastic now it's weathered.

I'm going to finish the loco off tomorrow I have the cab inner splashers to fit plus the cab floor & fall plate plus a few lubricators on the body & the smokebox handrail. Once this is done i'm going to finished off the tender chassis & fit all the components on the loco chassis so they are both ready for paint & final assembly.

The radial I've built so far is going on the back burner because next up is the c12 & i'm ordering a N1 kit & a j6 which will be for a rainy day sometime.

I'm now building stock that will be used for both our club layout based on the halifax high level line but also i'm getting exceptionally interested in the Queensbury lines & i'm starting a layout at the club in the future which will be based on the Queensbury lines around Keighley.

That's all for now.

• 1 month later...

Well I've been rather quiet of late with my build thread.

For the past few weeks I've been rather busy with the birth of my daughter so modelling has ground to a halt.

On Thursday I started to tidy up a few jobs. Firstly I converted the J79 to em & added some final details although the model still needs tweeking. I've also nearly finished the j3 now. Today I built a tender coupling, tender picks & tender brake gear. It's running beautifully now. I'm going to finish the model on Monday with the last loco brakeshoes & cabside numbers.

I've bought a N1 kit & I have a c12 which are my nect 2 models to complete. I'm going to try out slaters rg4 replacement gearboxes in the next 2 models as they look a nice box.

Hopefully I can start to get back on track now with my models. But that's all for now.

Simon

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the slaters gearboxes Simon. To be honest Ive never really understood the fastination with the portescap & the prices they fetch on ebay when compared with the price of a high level box - but at the same time i like to keep an open mind...

I've used high level products in a few of my builds & have no issues at all with them. I do prefer all metal gears in my models if possible though. We have a 4f at the club which has a slaters rg4 & it's a beauty. We'll see anyway I may still go down the high level route depending on money when I come to order.

Simon