D3000 at Weston-super-Mare

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is the right forum but I seem to remember as a kid in the late 60's or very early 70's, a Class 08 based at Weston-super-Mare for shunting purposes.  If memory is correct, it was D3000 but I can't remember if it was blue or still green at the time.  Any help would be great.

Julian Sprott

An excellent find, just 4 months before withdrawal, and with an eastern BG too.

It seems to have gained a blue cabside data panel. I suppose it would be opening a can of worms to wonder if it was still in black livery?

Julian, during the period you refer to D3000 was a Bath Road loco, so there is every possibility it would work at Weston Super Mare.

It was later transferred to Canton, and when it arrived it was still in BR green livery.

D3000 was later sold to the NCB and I saw it under repair at Canton in November 1975 when it was still in BR green, with 'cycling lion' and numbered D3000 with a 'TOPS' data panel beneath the numbers.

In fact it was still in BR green at NCB Mountain Ash during 1981

In the 1996 photo by"Jonny777" above the loco has been fitted with replacement engine compartment doors of the 'pressed steel' type with a BR 'cycling lion' on one, whereas during its BR and NCB life it had the original 'strap hinge' doors and the BR 'cycling lion' was on the battery boxes..

Hope this answers your question.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info and I must admit that I really can't remember any details (well, I was about 8 or 9 lol) but I do remember a big fuss about "a shunter" being at Weston-super-Mare as one had not been there for years.  I know it wasn't there long and why it was needed is a mystery.  I do remember seeing D3000 somewhere though for years I was convinced it was at Weston.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

An excellent find, just 4 months before withdrawal, and with an eastern BG too.

It seems to have gained a blue cabside data panel. I suppose it would be opening a can of worms to wonder if it was still in black livery?

Hi Jonny

All data panels when first introduced were blue. It was only with the introduction of the later BR liveries of the 1980s that data panels had a clear background so they were the same as the loco colour.

Thanks for the info and I must admit that I really can't remember any details (well, I was about 8 or 9 lol) but I do remember a big fuss about "a shunter" being at Weston-super-Mare as one had not been there for years.  I know it wasn't there long and why it was needed is a mystery.  I do remember seeing D3000 somewhere though for years I was convinced it was at Weston.

Julian Sprott

If it was a temporary duty then perhaps in association with track remodelling.

Locking Road Excursion station closed in 1964, it and most of the associated carriage sidings were subsequently lifted.

The Weston-super-Mare Loop line was singled in January 1972 as part of the Bristol Area MAS scheme, there were also extensive trackworks  at this time,

cheers 

I was about to post that I have a clear recollection of seeing 3000 at Worcester in Summer 1972 but have always doubted myself because I've not seen any evidence of it being allocated there, so thanks Rivercider for the pic.

• RMweb Gold

I think it's safe to say that D3000 was withdrawn in BR green, blue data panel, wasp stripes and early BR (cycling lion) logo on it's battery boxes.  All I need is someone to confirm that it was at Weston in the late 60's, early 70's.

Julian Sprott

I think it's safe to say that D3000 was withdrawn in BR green, blue data panel, wasp stripes and early BR (cycling lion) logo on it's battery boxes.  All I need is someone to confirm that it was at Weston in the late 60's, early 70's.

My mistake from an earlier post - D3000 on transfer to Canton had the later BR emblem - "ferret on a dartboard" - not the earlier "lion on a unicyle".

Sorry for misleading you.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Think it's more black than green lol.

Julian Sprott

Hi Julian

I have seen other photos of D3000 and she was in green livery from the early 1960s. It appears from photographs all the WR early 350s had been repainted when they went through Swindon works. All those from the first batch built with only two lights recieved four headcode lights with the "standard" conduit run.

I have yet to find a photo of a 350 in black with the post 1956 emblem. Very few escaped works in green with the early totem. I do have a copy of a photo of an ER machine with the coach emblem, as it is black and white photo I cannot tell if it is green or black.

and look what it's coupled to................

There was still at least one shunter's truck at BTM when I worked on the Christmas post there in 1974.

Is it possible that the loco's presence at Weston was due to it being worked back from Taunton or Bridgewater to Bath Road, and it being 'staged' there because the crew were out of hours?

• RMweb Gold

A recent ebay listing was for D3000 at Bath road

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=381195843665

Listing States 1964 but I think later than that judging by the custard-dip blue pullman in the background.

BR green livery, I bid but lost, slide went for over £16!

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Members of Weston Railway Society remember class 08s at Weston around that time and some of them still have their notes.

One member has four different 08s recorded there around 1971, but he does not currently have notes to hand, 3750 was one of them.

Another member has D3990 recorded there on 2nd May 1970.

The reson for the shunter at Weston was possibly track work, also the suggestion that due to remodelling at Temple Meads

some parcels work was temporarily carried out at Weston

Hopefully more info may come to light,

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived