Class 22 areas of operation

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

There is I believe a reported sighting of one at Birmingham New Street but no photographic evidence.

We did see a very poor 126 slide of a Class 22 at New Street once in someone's collection, very distant and very under exposed, but most certainly a Class 22 and at New Street c1970.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

We did see a very poor 126 slide of a Class 22 at New Street once in someone's collection, very distant and very under exposed, but most certainly a Class 22 and at New Street c1970.

Kevin

D6327 on a DMU drag from Oxford IIRC

Hang the quality Kevin! If you have that shot it has to be published .... pretty please!

D6336 also made it to Worcester from Oxford following 2 other loco failures on a Padd - Worcester working

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

D6343 was in fact the first diesel to be seen at Moretonhampstead on 9th August 1962. (Source:Modern Railways) D6327 was noted at BNS on a 17.45 from Oxford (date unknown). A lot of information on these machines is in issue 206 of Traction (Nov 2012) where I have outlined everything that I could research on their operations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

22s definitely worked Hayle Wharf.  They would have been on parcels, milk or freight turns that far down though no doubt the odd local passenger working happened as well.  St. Erth - Kenny O milks was one of their regular duties for a time I believe.

• RMweb Gold

22s definitely worked Hayle Wharf.  They would have been on parcels, milk or freight turns that far down though no doubt the odd local passenger working happened as well.  St. Erth - Kenny O milks was one of their regular duties for a time I believe.

post-9767-0-39493500-1434831331_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

In the Summer 1971 diagrams for 63's there was a pair booked to work the following -

1B55 06.55 Plymouth (23.45 Paddington) - Penzance attached to the train engine (T-THo 01/06-01/07)

6B57 11.00 Ponsandane - Bristol Temple Meads Goods perishables (same date)

1B28 21.15 Bristol - Plymouth attached to train engine (same date)

6V07 07.40 Plymouth (19.00 Kensington Olympia) - Ponsandane milk ets (SO 12/06-04/09)

1A65 13.45 Penzance - Paddington to Plymouth (same dates)

1V83 17.20 Plymouth (10.03 Liverpool) - Penzance (same dates)

SPARE AT PENZANCE SuO (Same dates)

2B15 07.25 Penzance - Newton Abbot to PLymouth MO (Same dates)

Whether or not they ever did this job I do not know.... but i'd love to find out if they did do the work...

In the Summer 1971 diagrams for 63's there was a pair booked to work the following -

1B55 06.55 Plymouth (23.45 Paddington) - Penzance attached to the train engine (T-THo 01/06-01/07)

6B57 11.00 Ponsandane - Bristol Temple Meads Goods perishables (same date)

1B28 21.15 Bristol - Plymouth attached to train engine (same date)

6V07 07.40 Plymouth (19.00 Kensington Olympia) - Ponsandane milk ets (SO 12/06-04/09)

1A65 13.45 Penzance - Paddington to Plymouth (same dates)

1V83 17.20 Plymouth (10.03 Liverpool) - Penzance (same dates)

SPARE AT PENZANCE SuO (Same dates)

2B15 07.25 Penzance - Newton Abbot to PLymouth MO (Same dates)

Whether or not they ever did this job I do not know.... but i'd love to find out if they did do the work...

Blimey!

Have to say it seems unlikely they worked that on more than a few occasions, if at all. I would have thought those Saturday workings in particular would not go unreported by that date but you never know. Saying that, there are relatively few photo's / reports of the 20:10 Exeter - Newton Abbot that summer and by all accounts that was a regular turn for one, sometimes two 6300's.

• RMweb Premium

23.45 Paddington - Penzance would have been the sleeping cars-only train as there were two back in those days.  The second, earlier, departure conveyed seats, sleepers and vans and also arrived Penzance later having stopped at many more stations including for shunting of vans.  The TPO left Paddington a bit earlier I believe and the newspapers earlier still to arrive early in the morning.  Not sure those trains necessarily ran complete through to Penzance.

I'm not at all sure about two 22s attaching to a train engine though as that would make a triple-header.  Such events were uncommon and if known about in advance as in being timetabled were often photographed.  I don't recall seeing any photos of a triple-headed working and would be happy to be directed to such if one exists.

• RMweb Gold

23.45 Paddington - Penzance would have been the sleeping cars-only train as there were two back in those days.  The second, earlier, departure conveyed seats, sleepers and vans and also arrived Penzance later having stopped at many more stations including for shunting of vans.  The TPO left Paddington a bit earlier I believe and the newspapers earlier still to arrive early in the morning.  Not sure those trains necessarily ran complete through to Penzance.

I'm not at all sure about two 22s attaching to a train engine though as that would make a triple-header.  Such events were uncommon and if known about in advance as in being timetabled were often photographed.  I don't recall seeing any photos of a triple-headed working and would be happy to be directed to such if one exists.

In the 1970-71 timetable -

the Penzance Postal left Paddington at 22.20 (it left at around that time for years);

the 23.45 Paddington conveyed a Sleeper and a car GUV for Exeter but no other sleepers in either the Plymouth or Penzance portions and was very much a stopping train in Cornwall (it also stopped at St Budeaux!), it ran via Bristol;

the Penzance News train left at 00.40, while

the Penzance Sleeper left at 00.55 with car GUVs for Plymouth and Penzance and was wholly for sleeping car & Motorail passengers.   First advertised stop was Plymouth so it would easily have overtaken the 23.45.

• RMweb Gold

Found it :-). This was my local railway but I only explored its remains in the 70's and 80's

That is a very sad clip - but fascinating none the less!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Bill's still around Mike. Started his railway service at Kittybrewster before transfering down to Didcot and doing a few years at Marylebone.

I don't know if he'll still remember me and I'm not quite sure how it came about but I've an idea he travelled up to Crich with us on one occasion many years ago.  You could ask him about the time he was sent to Kittybrewster Work s to get an ex-works engine ready and on arrival found he had to light up an ex-works steam engine - something he'd never done before! 

Rick, somewhere on RMWeb a member posted a fantastic b&w shot of three green 22s on a down passenger service at Bodmin Road, I think it was posted a year or two back but not sure which thread. I think the story was that the two booked locos had failed and a third was coupled on the front to get the whole shebang moving again.

• 2 months later...

The 2 x Class 22 diagram was as below (excuse the font size and bold type; the document doesn't cut n paste very well for some reason).

The other booked pair was 7B10 01.00 Exeter Riverside Yard - Keyham on a MO (LA194 A engine and LA195 A engine coupled at Exeter, uncoupled at Laira). The train worked forward from Keyham at 05.58 to Liskeard with the LA195 A engine (having been uncoupled from the LA194 A engine at LA) starting the diagram. Tue-Fri 7B10 departed Riverside at 02.40 and was booked an 800 (LA151) for the Cl. 22 forward.

LAIRA - TURN No. 198.

TWO X CLASS 22 (IN MULTIPLE) - 1100 H.P.

FROM / TO

ARR

NOTES

DEP

CODE

WORK SPECIALS AS ORDERED

Laira Depot

0B55

T-TH (01/06 - 01/07 & MON 07/06 ONLY)

Plymouth North Road

Attached

1B55