The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Some more great stuff from Hornby....Hornby's new management certainly are striving to get things back track. Introducing "The Engine Shed". A bi-weekly blog written by the Hornby developers showing us a little more behind the scenes work.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/welcome-to-the-engine-shed/

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/forum/engine-shed/?p=1

Cheers!
J

Edited by AJA Models
  • Like 1

Already listed under 'New Blog' at 11.27am, so suggest you might ask mods to combine both.

I'd suggest that the other two threads on this topic be merged. This one we can keep separate from the 'discount bargains' and focused on Hornby's new blog, much like the "Simon Says" thread here.

The creation of "The Engine Shed" blog is a very promising step for Hornby in terms of communication to customers.

As such I applaud the effort and the first issue has some great content in terms of pre-production images.

I think the decision to publish every two weeks is curious. Unless the purpose is simply to be a repository for pre-production snapshots, (which is really nice to have and a positive step for Hornby) it could easily take too much time from the development team and distract them from the job of designing models.

If any material written content is to be provided, then that will take (some) time away from development work.

If however it is simply an outlet for pre-production images, then the bi-weekly publication schedule should be manageable.

Mr. Kohler's biweekly blog is excellent. He however is in the position of not having a full time model development job and, one presumes, has more time to devote to written content.

I would like to see the blog talk about where models are in the development process, much like Bachmann does.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I think two weeks turnaround is more than fair. Simon Kohlers SIMON SAYS is also offered up on a fortnightly basis. If The Engine shed posts are only half as interesting as Simons then they too should make for an enjoyable read.

I suppose if they staggered the two, then we would in theory get a new scheduled posting every week. But I would also like to think the The Engine Shed posts could also include spontaneous posts as well, should they have something that they want to make a noise about. 

It's nice to see that the Hornby development team continues to use their nice 3D printer, though that photograph of the 71 prototype* doesn't pass muster. It looks like someone used their mobile phone.

* the 1:76 prototype, not the 1:1 prototype

What they apparently need for "The Engine Shed" blog is a "how to" seminar by Andy Y, to show them what is possible with a crate from B&Q and some duct tape.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Adams 442T.  Sorry to be ea pedant but instead of calling it 'new blog' why not have called it 'Hornby Engine Shed'?

I wasn't the original poster who listed it, I merely pointed out that two threads might be better combined.  To be pedantic I don't think pedant was the word you wanted...............

Edited by Adams442T

• 2 weeks later...

New blog post today on the Hornby "The Engine Shed" blog. It is on the S15 and and the TTS King Class sound test.

Painted pre-production samples of the S15 are photographed as well as a 3D printed version of the King along with livery illustrations in blue

The S15 is being discussed, in yet another new thread, here EDIT: (now closed).

A useful inclusion in the blog is a glossary for Hornby's terminology for samples/stages of production:

1. Rapid prototype model or Stereo Sample (which appear to be 3D printed)
2. First Shots off tooling
3. Running Sample
4. Decoration Sample
5. Approval Sample

They have full definitions in the blog.

I have to say that this level of transparency is exactly the kind of thing that many of us here have been asking from Hornby. It is a big step forward for them and I congratulate them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

From the King thread:

... to my inexpert eyes and it is nice to see three things here:

Hornby new releases at an advanced stage within a relatively short time from being announced

Hornby looking like they are back to their old standards with some rather lovely new tooling

Hornby improving their communications, SK's blog has been one of the best manufacturer communication pieces for a while and this Engine Shed blog looks like being another excellent bit of comms from Hornby

All three things are very definite signs of the continued improvement at Hornby and there is a sense of momentum with them which I find hugely positive.

Yes, very much so. This Engine Shed posting was very worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's posting to "The Engine Shed" blog is mostly focused on the Class 71.

For those interested in the actual tooling process, the end of the blog has photographs of a number of tools being developed for the Class 71. (It's not immediately obvious, but there are captions - they are not well located.)

At the end of the blog is a photograph of all the components of a J50 prior to assembly. The caption indicates these are 'first shots' from the tooling or as others call them EP sample components.

I have to say that Hornby really is stepping up their communication here in a material effort to engage their customers.

• RMweb Premium

There is also a terrific section on the new Airfix Shackleton MR2 which is well worth a look. Clearly Hornby are not just looking at how Hornby trains communicate, they seem to be making a real effort across their various product lines. I think they really do deserve the thumbs up for this, if Hornby management deserve to be held responsible for the torrid few years they went through then they also should be recognised as steering the company back towards a good position (at least in terms of product quality and delivery) and improving corporate communications.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm surprised to see that Hornby staff in the UK build the models from the first shots. Surely one of the things they're interested in is how well the factory puts the bits together - after all its those factory staff who will eventually have to put together the several thousand production models so an early idea as to how easy that is for the factory should be a factor in signing off the first shots. Does anyone know what Bachmann, Dapol etc. do?

I'm surprised to see that Hornby staff in the UK build the models from the first shots. Surely one of the things they're interested in is how well the factory puts the bits together - after all its those factory staff who will eventually have to put together the several thousand production models so an early idea as to how easy that is for the factory should be a factor in signing off the first shots. Does anyone know what Bachmann, Dapol etc. do?

I suppose the point is that the model is the sum of its parts, and a view of the pre-assembly parts and the effort required to assemble them to a rtr model is essential in the development process. Incorrectly moulded parts that don't fit or are even missing essential detail can be corrected more readily at this point rather than after a completed sample (decorated or not) is emitted by the factory in China, its not like they can pop down to the toolroom and get it sorted, is it!  Its good to see that Hornby pays this amount of attention to detail in the manufacturing process.

Apart from all that, all those bits and bags on the workbench looks just like one of the more complicated Airfix kits - now only if they went back to the Triang CKD format...  Not to reduce price, but to allow you to have essentially a rtr model that you "built yourself".  Such fun!

"When you look at the classic red, white and yellow Hornby packaging, you are seeing a highly detailed image of the model you have just purchased. This image represents what you find when you open the box"

Box image of M7 245 in LSWR Green:

http://www.rrrmodels.co.uk/images/user/80-011214085606.jpg

How it actually looks:

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R3204_1504384_Qty1_1.jpg

I'm damn grateful, the 'highly detailed image' didn't represent what was actually in the box.

Regards,
Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the way the people behind Hornby's "The Engine Shed" blog are including teasers in their content during weeks when there's no 'big' news - (except, this week, for people looking forward to the D16). ;)

The end of the Class 91 video has something big, green and named (without a double chimney) peeking into the lower right corner of the frame and there is a very big clue to something Southern, presumably built in 1941, being the topic of the next "The Engine Shed" in a fortnight.

post-1819-0-26631000-1437762214.jpg

I think they way they are doing this is clever and fun.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I do like the way the people behind Hornby's "The Engine Shed" blog are including teasers in their content during weeks when there's no 'big' news - (except, this week, for people looking forward to the D16). ;)

The end of the Class 91 video has something big, green and named (without a double chimney) peeking into the lower right corner of the frame and there is a very big clue to something Southern, presumably built in 1941, being the topic of the next "The Engine Shed" in a fortnight.

attachicon.gifgwrsneakpeek.JPG

I think they way they are doing this is clever and fun.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the aforementioned engine being the King Class.The model appears to be a Hall class instead.

Looking forward to the 'Shed' on the As-Built Merchant Navy's.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the aforementioned engine being the King Class. The model appears to be a Hall class instead.

On first look I couldn't see any steam pipe detail (and I was looking at the video more than the static image I clipped) - but I agree, it does look like a straight steam pipe.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

More importantly what about the Class 60 that lurks in the background around 10s and then in the foreground, a final version of the DCC Sound 60005 Skiddaw currently available to pre-order presumably?

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the aforementioned engine being the King Class.The model appears to be a Hall class instead.

Looking forward to the 'Shed' on the As-Built Merchant Navy's.

Page 110 from 'The Book of The Merchant Navy Pacifics' (Irwell Press)  for those who are interested ;)