The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

New edition just out. First printed Merchant Navy looks awesome, 2nd running sample of the 71 with a Working Panto for anyone with OHL, and 1st running samples of the Colletts look amazing. No video but plenty of pics.

• RMweb Gold

New edition just out. First printed Merchant Navy looks awesome, 2nd running sample of the 71 with a Working Panto for anyone with OHL, and 1st running samples of the Colletts look amazing. No video but plenty of pics.

Having been party too and provided comments on the CADs for the Merchant Navy and its variations some time ago its good to see the first 3D print.

• Like 1

Some nice models in the pipeline!

Even though it looks like the GHOST of a Merchant Navy, I'm impressed by the "stereo" model.  I'm just glad I don't model Southern!  Especially with the 71 looming on the horizon, another impressive looking loco.  That red "livery" took me a bit aback, it makes it look like a Metropolitan loco.....

However the Collett rake looks just up my street, or pahaps I should say track?

D'you think they'd sell them in installments?

Now forgive me if im wrong, but that the silver coach on top of the box in the background? New mk3 Sample?

It could also just be a non-painted sample that Hornby will use to hand paint or something into a livery that is actually for the 2016 range.... I am on the fence about new Mk3s. Would love to see new ones. But at what level of detail is a big question.

- Highly detailed ones means too expensive for long rakes.

- RailRoad ones means all relevant detail added and many people upset over the lower detailed one.

• 1 month later...

From several comments in the Peckett thread:

Would there be interest in a  separate general thread on Hornby's new style of dripfeeding product announcements via their website, and what this might mean for the 'traditional' annual announcement/catalogue bash?

Not in yet another thread I hope, though you and others raised a fair question.

My glib answer is that any of us who have determined that adding Hornby froth to our eggnog* has become an 'essential' part of our Christmas traditions probably needs to install heating in the shed / loft.

* Substitute seasonal libation of choice here.

Being more deliberate:

• We've historically complained about Hornby's level of communication, in terms of status, production dates and progress on models in development.
  • We've complained about inadvertent publication of Hornby announcements prior to the embargo date "ruining the surprise". (I wanted to say 'ruining Christmas' but that would be over the top.)
  • Some people complain about the futility of the froth fest, though I will stipulate that (when it doesn't devolve into a wishlist) it can be fun. 

I think using "The Engine Shed" blog to drip feed announcements of new products is great.

First of all, it is not "wrong" in any sense of the word. Hornby is entitled to use any marketing approach they choose to make new announcements.

Secondly, it addresses many things people have complained about.

Primarily it keeps enthusiasts engaged in the Hornby brand. This is exactly what the new management told us they planned to do and credit where it is due, that is exactly what is happening.

Announcements contained in "The Engine Shed" keep people engaged and coming back to Hornby.com every fortnight - just because there might be something interesting there. Personally I'm glad they are doing so on their website rather than Facebook - though they are evidently using Facebook as a teaser.

While perhaps many, if not most, of the splashiest new announcements have likely been made though the year, there are bound to be some other surprises divulged ahead of the catalogue, so the annual year-end "anticipation discussion" (if I'm being kind) can continue - if perhaps somewhat muted compared to the recent past.

If there's a downside, it is for the model railway trade press whose January issues won't have so many exciting new Hornby items to discuss.  It will be interesting to see if there is an event in Sandwich for the press this year. Frankly the essential facts can be more easily conveyed via a web conference - even if that doesn't have the same personal effect as a face-to-face meeting.

Now there's an idea for reaching out to enthusiasts - web-casting a presentation of the 2016 range, either live, or as a recording!

How many items have actually been announced in the "The Engine Shed" blog this year?  Without trawling though all the postings, I can recall the Adams Radial, the King, the Merchant Navy, the Peckett 0-4-0ST, the GWR Collett coaches and SR/ex-LSWR rebuilt coaches. How much of Hornby's 2016 range does this represent I wonder?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

How many items have actually been announced in the "The Engine Shed" blog this year?  Without trawling though all the postings, I can recall the Adams Radial, the King, the Merchant Navy, the Peckett 0-4-0ST, the GWR Collett coaches and SR/ex-LSWR rebuilt coaches. How much of Hornby's 2016 range does this represent I wonder?

The Adams Radial wasn't announced via "The Engine Shed" blog as far as I can tell. It was announced at Warley last year along with the Class 71 (and a couple of wagons IIRC). They've only featured in the blog as an update, not as an announcement. The un-rebuilt Merchant Navy was announced via the "News" section. Same goes with the GWR King.

The Adams Radial, GWR King and those wagons announced at Warley were 2015 models. The Class 71 and SR un-rebuilt Merchant Navy are 2016 models.

The following are the 2016 items announced via the blog:-

• GWR Collett coaches (15/5/2015)
  • SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt (ex-LSWR 48') coaches (15/6/2015)
  • Peckett & Sons W4 0-4-0ST (2/10/2015)

The following are the 2016 items announced via the news section/Warely:-

• Class 71 (22/11/2014)
  • SR Un-rebuilt Merchant Navy (28/2/2015)

Therefore we have 2 ranges of coaches and 3 locomotives already for 2016. That seems to be the approximate number of items Hornby usually announces each year i.e. 3 locos and 2 ranges of coaches. So all that is left for December is just wagons.

Edited by Rusty.J

I'm not sure about this differentiation between 2016 models and 2017 models.

As far as I'm aware a model is proposed, worked on, and at some stage it becomes apparent that it will be ready to hit the shelves in a certain timeframe.  The most sensible way to run a business for that to be the point at which it becomes a "2016 model" or whatever.

The way Hornby are using the Engine Shed suggests to me that Hornby are trying to move this way.  Compare this with one of the major competitors where some announcements are materialising immediately and others are years away, yet both categories appear in the catalogue...

Les

From several comments in the Peckett thread:

Not in yet another thread I hope, though you and others raised a fair question.

My glib answer is that any of us who have determined that adding Hornby froth to our eggnog* has become an 'essential' part of our Christmas traditions probably needs to install heating in the shed / loft.

* Substitute seasonal libation of choice here.

Being more deliberate:

• We've historically complained about Hornby's level of communication, in terms of status, production dates and progress on models in development.
  • We've complained about inadvertent publication of Hornby announcements prior to the embargo date "ruining the surprise". (I wanted to say 'ruining Christmas' but that would be over the top.)
  • Some people complain about the futility of the froth fest, though I will stipulate that (when it doesn't devolve into a wishlist) it can be fun. 

I think using "The Engine Shed" blog to drip feed announcements of new products is great.

First of all, it is not "wrong" in any sense of the word. Hornby is entitled to use any marketing approach they choose to make new announcements.

Secondly, it addresses many things people have complained about.

Primarily it keeps enthusiasts engaged in the Hornby brand. This is exactly what the new management told us they planned to do and credit where it is due, that is exactly what is happening.

Announcements contained in "The Engine Shed" keep people engaged and coming back to Hornby.com every fortnight - just because there might be something interesting there. Personally I'm glad they are doing so on their website rather than Facebook - though they are evidently using Facebook as a teaser.

While perhaps many, if not most, of the splashiest new announcements have likely been made though the year, there are bound to be some other surprises divulged ahead of the catalogue, so the annual year-end "anticipation discussion" (if I'm being kind) can continue - if perhaps somewhat muted compared to the recent past.

If there's a downside, it is for the model railway trade press whose January issues won't have so many exciting new Hornby items to discuss.  It will be interesting to see if there is an event in Sandwich for the press this year. Frankly the essential facts can be more easily conveyed via a web conference - even if that doesn't have the same personal effect as a face-to-face meeting.

Now there's an idea for reaching out to enthusiasts - web-casting a presentation of the 2016 range, either live, or as a recording!

There hasn't been a December press event at Hornby for the last two or three years. No reason to suspect this year will be any different. Hornby no longer has any regular dealings with the model press.

CHRIS LEIGH

The problem that manufacturers have, including Hornby, is the access to production slots to produce models, so the proposed dates of release seem to be very much finger in the wind. Take Hornby's 2014 new locomotive programme, only one new model from that years programme was fully released that year, the 2 HAL, and one of the K1s squeezed in at the end of December. The other K1s, Class 700, Crosti, J15 and D16 models all went into 2015 with the D16 and Crosti having only just been released. Already we see that the 2016 programme will be affected by some delays, with the Adams Radial, having been brought forward by Hornby from 2016 into 2015 is now scheduled by them for release in January 2016. Personally I think Hornby's recent practice of release information is more designed to increase anticipation and encourage pre-ordering via their own website sales outlet from the frothing that ensues, but hey, I'm just a cynic.

• Like 1

The problem that manufacturers have, including Hornby, is the access to production slots to produce models, so the proposed dates of release seem to be very much finger in the wind. Take Hornby's 2014 new locomotive programme, only one new model from that years programme was fully released that year, the 2 HAL, and one of the K1s squeezed in at the end of December. The other K1s, Class 700, Crosti, J15 and D16 models all went into 2015 with the D16 and Crosti having only just been released. Already we see that the 2016 programme will be affected by some delays, with the Adams Radial, having been brought forward by Hornby from 2016 into 2015 is now scheduled by them for release in January 2016. Personally I think Hornby's recent practice of release information is more designed to increase anticipation and encourage pre-ordering via their own website sales outlet from the frothing that ensues, but hey, I'm just a cynic.

As this very thread would seem to demonstrate. No, we're not cynics - more, realists I think!

• RMweb Gold

There hasn't been a December press event at Hornby for the last two or three years. No reason to suspect this year will be any different. Hornby no longer has any regular dealings with the model press.

CHRIS LEIGH

Which cuts some enthusiasts who are not internet trawlers out of the loop.Is it really impossible to have an "inclusive" p.r.policy ? Surely not.

Which cuts some enthusiasts who are not internet trawlers out of the loop.Is it really impossible to have an "inclusive" p.r.policy ? Surely not.

Cost:benefit.

If (and I have no idea if this is the case) the majority of Hornby's sales are to internet trawlers, why would they throw money at trying to reach the remaining minority if the cost:benefit ratio doesn't work out?

Hornby is, after all, a business, not one of the social services.

Since Chris Leigh has assured us that the model railway mags will continue to publish all the news (presumably reaching the non-trawlers), it would be a strange commercial enterprise that then spent even more money on disseminating news to that group.

Looked at another way (and assuming I'm right about cost:benefit): why should modellers who use the internet pay higher prices for their models, in order to subsidise publicity to customers who are unwilling to use the internet? I write "unwilling" rather than "unable" since pretty much every public library in the country offers free internet access and free courses in how to get started.

Paul

• Like 2

I am afraid Hornby is not in my good books at the moment, I have 4 Merchant Navy owners with front bogie suffering from mazak corrision with the bogies crumbling away and Hornby cant supply spares nor can any other stockist in the UK. Call that good service with locos over £200, I don't think so

• RMweb Gold

I am afraid Hornby is not in my good books at the moment, I have 4 Merchant Navy owners with front bogie suffering from mazak corrision with the bogies crumbling away and Hornby cant supply spares nor can any other stockist in the UK. Call that good service with locos over £200, I don't think so

Which has What to do the with subject of this thread? Which is Hornby's communications policy.

...The following are the 2016 items announced via the blog:-

• GWR Collett coaches (15/5/2015)
  • SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt (ex-LSWR 48') coaches (15/6/2015)
  • Peckett & Sons W4 0-4-0ST (2/10/2015)

The following are the 2016 items announced via the news section/Warely:-

• Class 71 (22/11/2014)
  • SR Un-rebuilt Merchant Navy (28/2/2015)

Therefore we have 2 ranges of coaches and 3 locomotives already for 2016.

Useful analysis, especially for those of us who don't concentrate enough to remember what first appeared where and when!

I'm not sure about this differentiation between 2016 models and 2017 models...

I see that as another benefit of this style of trickling out the information; it perhaps results in less fixation on a delivery date that has to be achieved?

...Not in yet another thread I hope...

Good choice of location for the topic.

I too see this as a natural development with many advantages in economy, reach, and direct engagement of any interested customers. It is happening to a significant extent in other hobby sectors, so no surprise to see it for model railway product.

I don't believe it will be Hornby's exclusive customer communication for many years yet: the annual catalogue will continue for just so long as it is profitable. It just so happened I visited a model shop early and late on the day of the Hornby catalogue going on sale about three years back; and was surprised to see how few were left from the original pile at day end. I was then told that a box of them had been used to replenish the stack around lunchtime. Clearly some demand for this item.

Useful analysis, especially for those of us who don't concentrate enough to remember what first appeared where and when!

I must admit that I didn't concentrate either. I was however very interested to find out after reading Michael's (Oz) post. It took me a good 35 mins to actually look for everything. :D I'm rusty after all. Can't get the fingers to move without some lubricant.

Not sure how this has anything to do with the current thread...But all I can say is that all manufacturers cannot be expected to stock every single spare part at any given time. And putting a manufacturer in your "bad books" just because they don't have a certain spare available isn't really going to help you get it sooner.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how this has anything to do with the current thread...But all I can say is that all manufacturers cannot be expected to stock every single spare part at any given time. And putting a manufacturer in your "bad books" just because they don't have a certain spare available isn't really going to help you get it sooner.

Especially as there is a dedicated thread for this issue below this thread.

The change is a reflection of the change in the UK market - you now have Rapido, Dapol, Heljan, DJM, Oxford and Bachmann all competing for the same money with Hornby.  

Then add in the secondary market - those contracting with the above to make specific models whether it be retailers like Kernow and Hattons or others like Realtrack, Revolution Trains, etc. and it has become a crowded market and much more difficult to maintain mindshare with the customers, not to mention the risk of duplication of models that may not have sufficient sales to make more than 1 model profitable.

• RMweb Premium

Surely its just a matter of timing. The mags will pick up the information from the Internet and publish as soon as they can in their news section, as we have seen with Collett coaches etc, so those without internet access are only disadvantaged by a few weeks. So I think the policy is really pretty inclusive.  And I would suggest that if its so important to have up to date information, in all facets of life, they would probably have recognised the benefit of having the internet by now. Its not like you have to get it piped in, you can pick it up very easily on a monthly pay as you go phone.  Even amongst seniors I would have thought people who aren't internet connected are very much in the minority now.

What was the alternative. Announce to press and wait for the mags to publish in 2/3/4 weeks , with an embargo inbetween (which was broken several times by one mag that seemed to go to the publisher early). Then subscription readers got information ahead of the mag appearing in shops , how was that fair exactly? Then of course you couldn't comment on it on a forum because it may have been embargoed and run risk of moderation.  Really the internet with direct communications between manufacturer and their customer has swept all that away. I get if you are a mag proprietor you may be a little bit peeved at no longer having news that could boost your circulation but really for the rest of us this is a tremendous improvement. And I think mags are savvy enough to realign their offer accordingly

Initially I was very cynical about Hornby's new direct approach, and I still do not like the fact that they are cutting out model shops by selling direct. But I thoroughly enjoy Simons blog and The Engine Shed and I think both have been a great success in enguaging directly between Hornby and their customers. So if no Christmas announcement because they've pre announced next years range I'll not complain.

What I think you will see is maybe an announcement concerning re liveries or perhaps even one new model around Christmas time , coinciding with release of new catalogue. There's been no modern image items announced (Sorry don't view the 71 as Modern) so maybe there is something still to come there. There have been tantalising glimpses of what appears to be a mk3 in some Engine Shed videos, so you never know.

• Like 5