The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

So nothing to titivate and froth/discuss.

Or was there?  1 minute 8seconds the Coronation passes a folder labelled "GW   M/W" - or was it.  Let's have a go at what that means.

I would place a substantial sum of money on exactly what it means but as I don't want to spoil the fun I'm saying nothing until further clues appear. However there are two nice things apparent from that visual hint -  firstly that The Engine Shed is creeping back towards the art of dropping subtle hints (and hopefully won't again be neutered by the new ancien regime for having done so).  And secondly it is hopefully a confirmation that a project is well under way and the fact that it is sufficiently advanced to allow hints to be shown would suggest that it started some time ago and has survived the arrival of the new ancien regime.  Early samples at the Warley show perchance - how appropriate that might be.

As I normally tend to deal in numerical rather than alphabetical clues is it too much to hope that this project, which as I have said appears to exist - hence the hint, might be accompanied by a complementary item that's worth a at least a (censored, but knowledge of pre-decimal currency might help).

So there you go - several clues as to what the hint might be and let the frothing commence as I run for an umbrella.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

social media does need very careful management . Its reach is fabulous for spreading the word but that can be good or bad . I can see the issue with the image . That imperfection with the wheel, your eye is drawn to it. Easy correction at photography stage I would have thought

looking at the J36 , cast body , presumably Mazak . Should I go there ....... (probably not but given Hornby's recent record with the stuff it does put me off a little) 

Re the Coronation, I'm still struggling with the need to do this model again . I had one and in the end sold it on . Nice model, just never sat well on my layout

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So Freedom of Speech is not an option then?

I give praise where it is due - I have both emailed Hornby, and verbally thanked Simon Kohler at Glasgow, and mentioned it in other fora for offering the J36.

We can all interpret things differently - I stand by my comments.

I think a lot of it is in how you say it . The internet is not terribly good at sarcasm

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

social media does need very careful management . Its reach is fabulous for spreading the word but that can be good or bad . I can see the issue with the image . That imperfection with the wheel, your eye is drawn to it. Easy correction at photography stage I would have thought

looking at the J36 , cast body , presumably Mazak . Should I go there ....... (probably not but given Hornby's recent record with the stuff it does put me off a little) 

Re the Coronation, I'm still struggling with the need to do this model again . I had one and in the end sold it on . Nice model, just never sat well on my layout

I’ve got a red Coronation , Duchess of Gloucester . Not sure there’s enough here to prompt me to replace it, but a blue one might be tempting. Not on initial release, but let’s see what the price settles down to. I think this is an odd choice of re release, I can’t see that the old model was all that bad

Or was there?  1 minute 8seconds the Coronation passes a folder labelled "GW   M/W" - or was it.  Let's have a go at what that means.

As I normally tend to deal in numerical rather than alphabetical clues is it too much to hope that this project, which as I have said appears to exist - hence the hint, might be accompanied by a complementary item that's worth a at least a (censored, but knowledge of pre-decimal currency might help).

So there you go - several clues as to what the hint might be and let the frothing commence as I run for an umbrella.

Apols for selective quoting.

I guess it could be a 'H" - possibly a restaurant car?

Pre-decimal currency: perhaps not the obvious. Tanner? Ha'penny? Guinea? Quid? Bob? Shilling? Half Crown? Farthing? Sovereign? I wondered if there's a telegraph code link but nothing obvious.

I give up Mike - too hard for me!

I’ve got a red Coronation , Duchess of Gloucester . Not sure there’s enough here to prompt me to replace it, but a blue one might be tempting. Not on initial release, but let’s see what the price settles down to. I think this is an odd choice of re release, I can’t see that the old model was all that bad

Will this one do you guv?

photoshopped from and old one and Duchess wheels   looks grand, the actual production model will be 6221 'Queen Elizabeth' which cannot lose.

post-7929-0-43603400-1529805825_thumb.jpg

I'm also interested in how the new Nelson looks, hard act to follow after the excellent N15.

Cheers

pic edited, will remove if asked.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that slice of reality Ian, as you all should know, Engine Shed is meant to be a little more ‘raw’, by virtue of its subject matter. We have taken great pains to point out that there are areas with these EPs that still need to be ironed out. Yes, we could take great care to ensure that items are only presented when absolutely pristine, but who wants a Development blog that is overly sanitised, that goes against the whole point of the exercise?

Best wishes,

Paul

And thankyou for giving us an ‘official’ view. Most of us are absolutely delighted to get development news of any or all your upcoming models, and in the raw is exactly how it needs to be. Surely we all know that the eventual release that we can buy will not have the warts etc the EPs may show - and if anyone has concerns about proportions or dimensions they can raise them with you now.

Keep doing what you are doing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done to Hornby for getting back to The Engine Shed. It's always nice to see what, or when, the stuff is coming.

The funny part was when you made mention of the 'invite to Margate'.  The last time I looked, Tesco had a huge superstore right opposite to Hornby...  They must have popped in for a loaf of bread, and a pint of milk....

On a positive note, Hornby used to make Skalextric cars over there as well. Can I put in a request for a Lotus 88, and the Tyrell 6-wheeler? It'll look just right next to Bittern.....

Happy modelling!

Ian.

• Like 3

I would place a substantial sum of money on exactly what it means but as I don't want to spoil the fun I'm saying nothing until further clues appear. However there are two nice things apparent from that visual hint -  firstly that The Engine Shed is creeping back towards the art of dropping subtle hints (and hopefully won't again be neutered by the new ancien regime for having done so).  And secondly it is hopefully a confirmation that a project is well under way and the fact that it is sufficiently advanced to allow hints to be shown would suggest that it started some time ago and has survived the arrival of the new ancien regime.  Early samples at the Warley show perchance - how appropriate that might be.

Tanner Oner?

Gerry

Half crowns were used to pay for the gas meter in a well known kids tv show.  Ivor the Engine range confirmed!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would hardly call that abortion of a GW large prairie any sort of competition for a properly researched model.  If I was Dapol I wouldn't have had the nerve to show a CAD that bad.

• RMweb Gold

I would hardly call that abortion of a GW large prairie any sort of competition for a properly researched model.  If I was Dapol I wouldn't have had the nerve to show a CAD that bad.

Very quiet on this since first announced. Was it just a place maker like Heljan did with their 47xx.

• RMweb Gold

Very quiet on this since first announced. Was it just a place maker like Heljan did with their 47xx.

having looked forward to a Dapol prairie in 4mm, I hope that we will finally get to see it come to fruition. To be honest, I don't really mind which of either manufacturer finally makes it, as long as its worthy of the patience. What we don't need, is being fobbed off with a 25+ year old tooling, and a "GASP!" a brand new box!

Caveat Emptor, and the wallet will stay shut.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

H could well be considering a re-introduction of the large prairie, a redacted loco they inherited from Airfix/Dapol and which has probably made them a good few honest bobs over the years.  But to be honest I can't see them doing much more than the best upgrade they can manage on the old tooling; they are not in a position to spend speculate money on new stuff at the moment and a 'Railroad' type version at a reasonably low price to match the 14xx, which has a very similar history, and which could beat Dapol to the punch by being available fairly quickly, must look like an attractive proposition to them.  I'd probably buy one if it can be brought in at under £60 or so.

I have two Airfix bodies which share a chassis at the moment, and they are showing their age!  Moulded handrails (not the end of the world and replaced many years ago on one body), crude crosshead, no cab detail, and very noisy, but the body is fundamentally accurate and captures the look well.  Quieter, smoother, running with a modern mechanism, and some cab detail, would transform this old lady into a very attractive proposition!  If the mech is kept forward of the cab, it could be the basis of a 43xx as well, but there is less chance of beating Dapol to it in this case.  Dapol's proposed 43xx has not attracted the adverse comment that the 61xx/5101 CAD has, and one assumes that Dap are re-jiggerising the loco a bit and it will be delayed in consequence, allowing H an opportunity if they are quick off the mark and have no problems of their own developing it!

This would mean that the Dap version, when it appears, would.have to be very much better than H's; we are perhaps talking about compensation, between the frames detail, and features capable of allowing a very much higher price point, a luxury model.  And the 43xx would have to match; this would probably be a major spaniard in Dap's planning!

All of which is complete and utter conjecture, spelt f r o t h, on my part!!!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...