The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

A lovely issue,open,honest and keeping up all in the loop.This is The Engine Shed back to its old self.The J36 looks the business but this week's star of the show for me is Paddington Bear.Those logos and the overall finish make it a highly desirable issue Now if only the vertical movement on the coupling bar could be subtly tweaked.....

Thanks R&D team.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yep good edition. Not sure it’s quite back to its old self. No tantalising glimpses of things to create froth fest, but it’s certainly a good edition. The star of the show is definitely the J36 though!

• Like 1

Yep good edition. Not sure it’s quite back to its old self. No tantalising glimpses of things to create froth fest, but it’s certainly a good edition. The star of the show is definitely the J36 though!

If the J36 looks this good in E/C black, just imagine what Maude looks like in NBR livery.

Let's hope next year a L/C option is in the offing.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Let's hope they can kick the factories into gear. Hornby spends all this money developing these wonderful things and then has to wait close to a year to get it produced once its signed off. Frustrating for them to recover money invested as well as us - and in the long run, can only slow the pace of new development as well as diminishing revenues.

Doesn't do Hornby any favours showing trains on 1st radius curves does it?

Dave.

Possibly it's to show their ability to run on "train set" type layouts. Maybe the layout built on an 8' x 4' board is still the most numerous yet we hear little about them?

• RMweb Gold

Possibly it's to show their ability to run on "train set" type layouts. Maybe the layout built on an 8' x 4' board is still the most numerous yet we hear little about them?

I would imagine so.

It’s great to see on a RMweb chocolate box layouts, cameos and scenes of reality in miniature, but they don’t build themselves overnight.

I’ve had 4 “layouts” in my life, only 1 wasn’t a scene of chaos and fitted the sterotype above.. I was 15/16 and it took a full time summer plus many months of weekends and friends to build...sadly it lasted 1 exhibition and was dismantled due to lack of a home.. the same fate as the other 2 of 4 attempts.

I reach the conclusion that a working week, family plus all the house admin stuff eats 95% of the time, so until I retire chances are any other scenic attempt will be a promise unfulfilled, and additionally mean I don’t have playtime.

So instead I have chaos... on 4 levels, with 4 loops, a triangle, an double reverse 8 shape, endless sidings... but it’s organised.. there are stations, sheds, timetables, stock is planned as are loco diagrams....

https://youtu.be/JlYzRDy-SGs

I recently invested in a Piko measuring car which resulted in considerable track works to improve the joints on my curves/points and voltage flow, I now have much less derailments and steady running, and a more even curvature and voltage flow, over what turns out to be a >15m diameter running circle.

I play when I can, the grass and stone can come when I retire, and I decide what time period and country my collection lives in.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

Agreed! And no it's not that I expect sneak previews and quick glimpses into things to come, and whilst I do miss that I understand it cannot be present in every blog.

The blog suffers from a few things, it started off on a high and they could never keep up! Whoever was in charge of their social media platforms then knew what they were doing. They kept to schedule and things were perfect. They've now decreased the number of blogs and still do miss a few. Content is not as "exciting" as it has been.

The most recent blog was "nice", it was a "good" read, the blog was PACKED with content, but the content wasn't as good as before. Yes the painted samples of the J36 was nice and so was the Paddington Bear IEP, but the Class 87 just seemed old. Nothing new, same information received before.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• 4 weeks later...

Too much emphasis on non railway sounds. I was hoping for more generic station announcements as well. I am sure it will sell but not for me this time.

Chris

Twenty nine sounds playable up to three at a time of which eight are non railway (ambience sounds). Which bit of Twin Track Sound did they tweak to get three channels.

The blog did hint at this initial launch being the first of a possible series covering different themes.

Perhaps if you let Hornby know the sort of thing you want in some detail maybe you will get your wish.

Rob

Think the TTS vent van is a really interesting, and reasonably priced, idea - looking forward to getting one and to seeing future ideas from Hornby to take this forward. Might encourage some people who are put off by price of sound decoders to give things a go.

Edited by dcroz

A while ago, Hornby did ask for comments about what people might like to hear from the Van.

Hi. There was a separate thread where a few people put forward ideas. Had hoped someone from Hornby would have had a look in on it as I believe we have a Hornby employee on rmweb as a member.

Edited by Chrisr40

A while ago, Hornby did ask for comments about what people might like to hear from the Van.

One thing that looked odd for me out of the loonnnngggg list of sound functions was a 40 second station sound recording with a steam locomotive, braking, station noises and announcements. Station noises and announcements are ok, but won,t it look silly on a layout hearing a steam loco come in and brake but there being no actual train there?

Now maybe you could time a plain DCC loco to come in and stop at that moment but I think the van has no train leaving sound...

I love the station stuff but maybe the loco noises should be either on separate sound tracks of just restricted to the loco itself.

Edited by JSpencer