The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

What delay?

I expect that like me Hroth expected the February edition to be somewhat earlier. The January edition was published on Friday 11th so I assumed that the February one would be either on Friday 8th (4 weeks) or Friday 15th (5 weeks) not the 22nd which is 6 weeks.

When you think about it 52 weeks a year divided by 6 is only 8-9 editions a year, bit strange for a "monthly" blog.

25 minutes ago, Frond said:

I expect that like me Hroth expected the February edition to be somewhat earlier. The January edition was published on Friday 11th so I assumed that the February one would be either on Friday 8th (4 weeks) or Friday 15th (5 weeks) not the 22nd which is 6 weeks.

When you think about it 52 weeks a year divided by 6 is only 8-9 editions a year, bit strange for a "monthly" blog.

..... and with February being only 28 days it'll be interesting to see when the March one turns up !

Anyway, the Terriers are looking good ( apart from the 'sunshine' lettered black one they seem to have forgotten - again ) and those GWR coaches look VERY impressive.

30 minutes ago, Frond said:

Hornby have very clearly stated on many occasions that they will bring out a blog once a month and there's no fixed date for it. They've said it about 4 times publicly now. They've said they'll post once a month on any given Friday and if possible a bonus blog. Not once has Hornby said that they'll be posting every second or third Friday or anything of that sort.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hornby have very clearly stated on many occasions that they will bring out a blog once a month and there's no fixed date for it. They've said it about 4 times publicly now. They've said they'll post once a month on any given Friday and if possible a bonus blog. Not once has Hornby said that they'll be posting every second or third Friday or anything of that sort.

I am aware of what Hornby have said. I was simply trying to point out that when I start checking to see if there has been another monthly blog I tend to start looking (apparently naively) approximately a month after the previous one. This is not intended as criticism of Hornby in any way, as I said above they have made their intentions clear, but simply saying that the six week gap was a bit surprising given that there did not appear to be any "Hold the Front Page" type news.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about when it appears,  like looking for the next issue of MRJ, commenting on when the next Engine Shed will arrive is an minor and entertaining subject of conversation. A "monthly" blog that appears near the beginning of one month and then towards the end of the next month is stretching the definition a bit and fair game for comment.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Latest Engine Shed is up

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/r7229-controller-48ds-peckett-b2

Samples of Ruston 48DS & Peckett B2, plus a preview of the large Prairie coming next month.

Thanks, good to see the Peckett B2, that NCB blue does look very, well, blue!

all the best,

Keith

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Not convinced by the weathering on the yellow line side cabin...

The little fogman's hut? The aspect that consistently gouges my eyes in Hornby's presentation is the track.  Hornby could so do with a properly ballasted and  well weathered length of Peco's new bullhead to present their steam and earlier diesel models to better effect.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Not convinced by the weathering on the yellow line side cabin in the photo of B2 Sherwood.

Surely it's a fogmans hut. So no worries he can't see it.

• RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2019 at 13:22, tractionman said:

Thanks, good to see the Peckett B2, that NCB blue does look very, well, blue!

all the best,

Keith

looks a little less bright blue here in this Hatton's vid, 

good to see progress.

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
link to vid added
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, truffy said:

The price of that Big Boy puts most of the toys discussed here to shame! :blink:

It'd certainly make my wallets eyes water, I think I'll stick to my pre-ordered Peckett B2.

Wondering how difficult it would be to motorise the Revell Big Boy plastic kit with a couple of spare 8F chassis?  :jester:

Edited by Hroth
spelin, natch!
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, truffy said:

The price of that Big Boy puts most of the toys discussed here to shame! :blink:

Well, compare it then to the competition.  Broadway Limited also offers a Big Boy, and is priced at $750 including DCC sound, which appears to work out to £580 (and of course you would then need to add VAT).

http://www.broadway-limited.com/paragon3upbigboy4-8-8-4.aspx

The Large Prairie looks gorgeous and so does the samples of the Scotrail Mark 2s. 

Price of the Big boy isn’t that bad. About 70 odd cheaper then the Roco BR85 I got last month. But the Big Boy is tempting to. 

Chris. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris89 said:

Price of the Big boy isn’t that bad. About 70 odd cheaper then the Roco BR85 I got last month. But the Big Boy is tempting to. 

And not really much more than the Tillig 2-10-2s I've been acquiring. But they are HOm, and tiny by comparison. As for the HOe Bemo 0-4-4-0s, Saxon IVks, at over £500 a pop, these are even smaller, yet all to the same 1:87 scale. 

The fact is that British OO models are almost all very fine value, by comparison with other countries' models. 

• Agree 1

The Hornby/Rivarossi "big boy" has been resurrected again. https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/rivarossi-h0-1-87-union-pacific-heavy-freight-train-steam-locomotive-class-4000-big-boy-running-number-4014-special-edition-in-celebration-of-the-150th-anniversary-of-the-first-transcontinental-railroad.html.  New and improved. They appear to have RP25 size flanges on all the wheels this time.

Everyone is trying to cash in on the 150th anniversary of the completion of the US transcontinental railroad. Even more than the dueling terriers this is a crowded field with Athearn, and Broadway Limited offering their HO big boy (UP Class 4000) versions. Kato has one in N. If you really just want a shelf display model buy the Revell kit. Much cheaper.  And Hornby sort of misses the boat by not having it ready until August. The anniversary of the completion with the gold spike driving ceremony at Promontory Point is May 10.    

More on point (promontory point that is) is the Bachmann  USA $549 set attempting to replicate the historic engines and trains used currently to re-enact the signing at a US historical monument in northern Utah. 

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_269_620&products_id=6953&zenid=b73i91vf3pv2pcloq8bu0b4fg5

Note that this being Utah no champaign or alcoholic beverage as documented in surviving photographs is now depicted in the recreation. History sanitzed. I'm skipping the joint SP Historical and Technsical Society and Union Pacific Historical Society convention in Ogden May 9 (with an extra cost side trip to Promontory Point in a bus).  

Edited by autocoach