The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Sad to see the state the 503 has deteriorated to.  Hornby could do 1938/1956 "original" and "loop" variants with LMS, BR Green, BR Blue and BR Blue and Grey liveries.  Yeah!

It would have been nice to have some word on the expected arrival of the B2 and Ruston&Hornsby locos....

• Agree 2

I'm somewhat surprised at the level of progress on the Princess Class with the current update photo.

These pictures have been around since the original announcement was made in January this year

Personally, I would rather it be right rather than rushed.

I've got the feeling though, that Hornby are being a bit optimistic over the revised release date of Autumn 2019.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I found the comments made by Hornby a bit strange regarding the Princess Class. They state "As the model is expected later in the year there has not been a great deal to show you until now" and  then show some old pictures . I would have thought that if the model is to be released in3-4 months time there would have been plenty to show us !

Makes you wonder if they put the wrong pictures in the article.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Frond said:

I found the comments made by Hornby a bit strange regarding the Princess Class. They state "As the model is expected later in the year there has not been a great deal to show you until now" and  then show some old pictures . I would have thought that if the model is to be released in3-4 months time there would have been plenty to show us !

Makes you wonder if they put the wrong pictures in the article.

Whatever the reason, the pics show a very early stage in the design, tooling and production, especially given the variations announced.

If release is planned for Autumn one would expect it to be at sample stage, or whatever those first tentative assembled models are called.

We live in hope. :)

Perhaps a summer intern was given the task of putting a couple of paragraphs together and found the wrong picture?

"Autumn" is only two or three months off so you'd expect to be seeing a livery/final pre-production sample by now, if they're going to get it on the boat by then!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I'm starting to think they just uploaded the wrong pics? The information certainly doesn't seem to match the photographs in question.

Probably all part of the consequences of turning The Engine Shed into something very different from what it used to be and it's now in the hands of 'marketing' rather than the folk who knew what they were actually looking at and doing.  And if that print (which is what it appears to be?) really does represent the current state of affairs then either they are going to be making unprecedented progress in the next 2-3 months or they're going to have a job hitting their release date with an accurately finished and liveried model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just received the usual weekend e-mail from Hornby promoting the Engine Shed. In the blurb they talk about sneak peaks of upcoming projects including "a sample for the brand new Princess Royal!" But it is the same old picture.

If this picture really does represent the current state of progress then I can't understand why the are still saying that the model will be available in the Autumn. Something clearly does not stack up.

Is it incompetence using the wrong picture or is the project behind schedule and they are not admitting it or is there a cunning plan?

PS Personally although I tongue in cheek made the suggestion that it was the wrong picture I think that there is nothing else to show, because if there was the article would have been far more extensive.

Edited by Frond
Correct typos
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

One has to wonder whether The Engine Shed is being quietly sidelined........being shunted into a siding if you like,excusing the awful pun.......in order to be overtaken by its glossier but slightly vacuous contemporary YouTube version.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

One has to wonder whether The Engine Shed is being quietly sidelined........being shunted into a siding if you like,excusing the awful pun.......in order to be overtaken by its glossier but slightly vacuous contemporary YouTube version.

Sadly I would tend to agree. This months was very light on its usual content. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought the Princess Royal had been pushed back to late next year? That's what seemed to be thought byou the comments. Which I think was somewhere on the Hornby site. Might have been the Hornbys Facebook page, but I haven't seen it officially stated.

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I have wondered if they're going to amalgamate it with 'The Signal Box' - and call it 'The Moretonhampstead' .  But I strongly suspect that particular irony would be lost not only on many who look at 'The Signal Box' but also on those who produce it.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I hope they keep the Engine Shed, on the plus side I had not picked up on the fancy box for the Huntley & Palmer freight pack, a nice touch.

The quality of the images in the section on the 156 and 87 weren't great either for some reason, but fine on the H&P pack and Open Weekend.

Started watching the Signal Box, the close ups of the HST livery and details are useful and interesting. Also shows how difficult it is with HD as it shows up every speck of dust!

22 hours ago, farren said:

I thought the Princess Royal had been pushed back to late next year? That's what seemed to be thought byou the comments. Which I think was somewhere on the Hornby site. Might have been the Hornbys Facebook page, but I haven't seen it officially stated.

It is now officially stated as autumn 2019 on Hornby's site , but last week it was winter 2019-2020, so it can change every few weeks, hope this will help

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Maybe it's based on the docking schedule of the ship that's bringing them across - often difficult to tie down?

Al.

All the container ships between the Far East and the UK work on a liner basis with published dates of departure and UK port arrival although delays can occur due to weather and congestion at the port - but the shipping companies don't like delays because they cost huge amounts of money.

But to get a shipping date means the goods have to be manufactured and packed and loaded to a container before there's going to be aboard a named ship giving a planned UK arrival date.  And in the UK the goods have to clear Customs etc before they can be delivered to the consignee.  Knowing the planned arrival date of the ship is probably the most reliable part once you know your goods are aboard that ship (provided the container isn't taken off the ship at another port enroute of course).  Hence some folk - such as Kernow - will tell us the name of the ship our models are on and we can usually find its arrival date and watch its progress towards the UK on the 'net.  If we can do it sitting at home it should present no problem for the UK 'manufacturer' customer or their agent to do the same.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 27/07/2019 at 10:31, The Stationmaster said:

Probably all part of the consequences of turning The Engine Shed into something very different from what it used to be and it's now in the hands of 'marketing' rather than the folk who knew what they were actually looking at and doing.  And if that print (which is what it appears to be?) really does represent the current state of affairs then either they are going to be making unprecedented progress in the next 2-3 months or they're going to have a job hitting their release date with an accurately finished and liveried model.

I felt this was different to previous editions. Somewhat less informative. Hopefully the marketing folk will get up to speed. I found this somewhat less mouth watering.

• Agree 2

I would guess that Hornby marketing wants to control all customer oriented messaging but doesn't understand how to communicate or doesn't wish to communicate with those who liked the old Engine Shed. I am not sure that  type of "corporatization" sits that well in in this rather specialized hobby in spite of what the young things in marketing have been told in their business trade schools. The Engine Shed should have remained a channel oriented to the sophisticated railway and modeling technically knowledgable customers. Then the marketing departments U Tube can then be let loose on the less sophisticated sectors of their perceived markets without turning off the knowledgable customers. 

• Agree 3

I quite agree!

You'd have thought that the marketeers would have understood the principles of Segmentation and could take on board the idea that their product appealed to a number of different demographics.  The main problem is that its probably not a good idea to employ the same person to communicate with different channels.

However I fear that currently Marketing is in the hands of the armwaving, fast talking, completely incoherent Social Media generation...

21 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

I hope they keep the Engine Shed, on the plus side I had not picked up on the fancy box for the Huntley & Palmer freight pack, a nice touch.

I went and had a look expecting it to be biscuit tin inspired and was a bit disappointed.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A shadow of its former self . Looks like it was cobbled together at short notice to get something out , which explains the Princess pictures.   The new darling is Signal Box , I suspect Engine Shed will just wither and die . 

• Agree 1