The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

26 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Well that means we haven’t had an engine shed at all in October. The last was 27/9, and the next is obviously going to be 1/11. So much for a monthly blog! 

Does anyone care anymore? It’s such a tepid reflection of what it used to be. 

it reminds me of MREmag: it used to be one of my first reads each morning, then the frequency dropped and I had to think about whether or not I should access it, then the frequency dropped again, then it changed into something else, went on hiatus... When someone mentioned it the other day I had completely forgotten it even existed. 

I suspect the Engine Shed is, for me, going through the same death process. 

Paul

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Fenman said:

it reminds me of MREmag: it used to be one of my first reads each morning, then the frequency dropped and I had to think about whether or not I should access it, then the frequency dropped again, then it changed into something else, went on hiatus... When someone mentioned it the other day I had completely forgotten it even existed. 

Paul

It's now a approx bi-monthly electronic mag type edition and IMHO has improved somewhat from an all time low a couple of years ago.

October's is 168 pages.

IIRC Simon Kohler was one of the main contributors at one time

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

IIRC Simon Kohler was one of the main contributors at one time

No. I suspect you're thinking of "Simon Says", which to give him the credit so often lacking here, was an innovation for Hornby.

The Nim.

23 minutes ago, Nimbus said:

No. I suspect you're thinking of "Simon Says", which to give him the credit so often lacking here, was an innovation for Hornby.

The Nim.

No, he was involved for a while at MRE and had a column, Kohler Confidential.

Kohler.JPG.06d9c63cfbcaf0509b2fcb2b3e4c7448.JPG

1264430467_Kohler2.JPG.066585128756b8bb9491bbdefc61157c.JPG

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Not at all impressed with this edition of the Engine Shed. Looks to be written by some numpty in the marketing department just touting some rather ordinary new releases of existing models.

Either that or Hornby just has nothing new to wow the punters with.

• Agree 8

28 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

It's a shame they couldn't be bothered to synchronise the exhaust sound with the wheel rotation speed.

Thats a trait of TTS because it's meant to be a cheaper alternative to the main DCC sound brands. It's more suited to diesel really from listening to YouTube videos. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, autocoach said:

Not at all impressed with this edition of the Engine Shed. Looks to be written by some numpty in the marketing department just touting some rather ordinary new releases of existing models.

Of course they might be saving something for Warley.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Vistisen said:

Of course they might be saving something for Warley.

A4 front P2

W1

LMS Fury

LMS turbomotive

SR Leader

GWR Saint & "Bear"

Fell

There you are, you are in the know now.....:good:

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

A4 front P2

W1

LMS Fury

LMS turbomotive

SR Leader

GWR Saint & "Bear"

Fell

You forgot to mention the 'D' class, now it has been announced by someone else.

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, autocoach said:

Do you really expect every monthly addition to have something to WOW the thousands of us?

It's a platform to share updates on various models announced at the beginning of the year. That's exactly what they're doing. Maybe they're not throwing in a few clues etc. anymore...but that doesn't take away the purpose for TES which is to share monthly updates at Hornby HQ.

IMO the clues for forthcoming products, was interesting, but all it did was take away the extra excitement we normally looked forward to before they made their annual annual announcement. Because we knew what was coming, it was never as exciting anymore.

On 01/11/2019 at 17:57, Hilux5972 said:

Great to see, and hear, Hogwarts Castle in closeup. Can’t wait to get my hands on it! 

Sounds just like Ketley Hall from the 2017 R1184 Western Express trainset!

14 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

It's a shame they couldn't be bothered to synchronise the exhaust sound with the wheel rotation speed. 

As noted above, TTS is a "budget" sound chip and the lack of synchronisation is a topic that has been well gone over since the first steam TTS locos were issued.  In the trainset marketplace its not a dealbreaker so there is no reason for Hornby to do anything about it.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

A4 front P2

W1

LMS Fury

LMS turbomotive

SR Leader

GWR Saint & "Bear"

Fell

If only that were true. My only proviso is that any new P2 would need a new chassis without the “Design Clever” features and a decent motor.