The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not really.  Yes there is some improvement but we're still a long way from the 'hints in the background' and consequent analysis and froth interest that generated which was as important a part of The Engine Shed as the official reveals.  although it is definitely a good bit more 'adult' than the low it had sunk to not so long back.  Maybe Hornby is getting the message about moving forward to the way the market now works instead of its recent 'back to the '70s' approach?

Well,I did say “closer”.Certainly a step in the right direction anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Anyone know if the latest incarnation of "Hogwarts Castle" has an NEM pocket on the tender, and if so, how it is mounted? I don't expect a full close-coupling kinematic mount on this model, but pivoted at least?

Why would it not be?

Previous Halls e.g. R3169 have had the normal dovetail mounted pocket.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Anyone know if the latest incarnation of "Hogwarts Castle" has an NEM pocket on the tender, and if so, how it is mounted? I don't expect a full close-coupling kinematic mount on this model, but pivoted at least?

It's the same as any other re-tooled Hall Class locos from Hornby. So it will have NEM couplings.

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Was seriously contemplating Princess Elizabeth in LMS crimson , then they go and post a pic of a Princess in BR Express Blue.......................

Maybe its because we are less familiar with the original but Hornby's rendition of BR blue always strikes me as one of their best liveries. Looks  'right' in the same sense that their green looks 'wrong'.

Really suits the Princess too. I'm tempted, slightly out of period but would look fine on my equally out of period 'crimson and cream' rake.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Legend said:

Was seriously contemplating Princess Elizabeth in LMS crimson , then they go and post a pic of a Princess in BR Express Blue.......................

Which was the livery I first saw in August 1952 on 46210 on a North to West express at Shrewsbury.So for me then a no brainer.They look to be shaping up as fine models.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I am rather taken with the wartime black MN. Is that stylish or is it brutish? Something of a Belgian treatment looking forward from behind the tender, could imagine it from Tubize or Cockerill.

So am I......but Belgians make chocolates and great chips too.Render unto OVS what is his...one great icon of the late steam era.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I am rather taken with the wartime black MN. Is that stylish or is it brutish? Something of a Belgian treatment looking forward from behind the tender, could imagine it from Tubize or Cockerill.

Meh, black; dull, boring, depressing, dreary. But, like wow! There’s really something about it. Absolutely brutish. I’ve gotta have one!   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Agree the MN looks incredible in black. May be persuaded depending on what is announced next year =) they didn't operate out of Brighton but they do in my 1/76 world :p 

Indeed they do look something special, here is my photo-edited rendition of 21C9 at Eastleigh,, from various Hornby models and liberal 'adjustments'. Will remove if it offends.

21C9_MN_Bulleid_shed5_2abcd_r1500.jpg.3b449da95a5e84dd18766d76d8841e6a.jpg

Cheers. :) 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/12/2019 at 05:04, robmcg said:

Indeed they do look something special, here is my photo-edited rendition of 21C9 at Eastleigh,, from various Hornby models and liberal 'adjustments'. Will remove if it offends.

21C9_MN_Bulleid_shed5_2abcd_r1500.jpg.3b449da95a5e84dd18766d76d8841e6a.jpg

Cheers. :) 

Bloody hell that looks real!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Agree about the January edition being classic.  There is a real sense of confidence there, partly from the strong line up of new models coming in Hornby's centenary year, but also by their announcing publication dates every 4 weeks through 2020 - 

".... we are very much looking forward to running through all of our new developments over the coming weeks and months. The next edition will be with you on the 28th February, with further editions appearing at four weekly intervals on March 27, April 24, May 22, June 19, July 17, August 14, September 11, October 9, November 6 and December 4."

I've put those dates in my diary, and look forward to reading Engine Shed each month!

John Storey

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, it's-er said:

Agree about the January edition being classic.  There is a real sense of confidence there, partly from the strong line up of new models coming in Hornby's centenary year, but also by their announcing publication dates every 4 weeks through 2020 - 

".... we are very much looking forward to running through all of our new developments over the coming weeks and months. The next edition will be with you on the 28th February, with further editions appearing at four weekly intervals on March 27, April 24, May 22, June 19, July 17, August 14, September 11, October 9, November 6 and December 4."

I've put those dates in my diary, and look forward to reading Engine Shed each month!

John Storey

Perhaps Hornby has introduced SMART objectives for its staff and for the person(s) responsible for the Engine Shed the publication dates are the basis on which meeting those objectives will be assessed :-)

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Perhaps Hornby has introduced SMART objectives for its staff and for the person(s) responsible for the Engine Shed the publication dates are the basis on which meeting those objectives will be assessed :-)

Hm. Target dates are welcome and they should sharpen minds a bit. All the same, I hope it doesn’t lead to adherence to measurable targets at the expense of subjective quality, as often happens. I will say: thus far, so good.

• Agree 2

On 01/02/2020 at 17:38, Matabiau said:

Have I missed an announcement or is that an observation coach beig measured up in the latest edition of EngineShed, alongside the APT, Rocket, Class 91,...?

Hi. I spotted that and thought that perhaps at last Hornby were sneaking in a reference to a push-pull motor coach, which given the existence of the excellent suburban brake seems like such an obvious choice. 

However, no shades over the windows is an obvious giveaway and a check of Jenkinson and Essery's LMS Coaches suggests it is a District Engineer's Saloon as mentioned already on this thread. (Which seems odd as Bachmann already have this covered.) 

I live in hope for Hornby to announce the motor coach. 

• Like 1