The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

23 minutes ago, Daveg66 said:

Hi. I spotted that and thought that perhaps at last Hornby were sneaking in a reference to a push-pull motor coach, which given the existence of the excellent suburban brake seems like such an obvious choice. 

However, no shades over the windows is an obvious giveaway and a check of Jenkinson and Essery's LMS Coaches suggests it is a District Engineer's Saloon as mentioned already on this thread. (Which seems odd as Bachmann already have this covered.) 

I live in hope for Hornby to announce the motor coach. 

The 'observation saloon' seen in The Engine Shed was rebuilt from one of the Coronation Scot RK's - it's the only surviving coach from the Coronation Scot coaching set. I would've linked to the Vintage Carriage Trust's online carriage survey but it's down at the moment!

What intrigues me more is reference in The Engine Shed to a visit to the SVR. Yes they have a rake of LMS stock but none, as far as i'm aware, have any association with the Corontation Scot set of coaches. It would be nice if they happened to have taken measurements of the GWR and LNER stock whilst they were there!

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

The mention of D0226 is so unsubtle I guess it's not a hint for a yet-to-be-announced mystery loco ......... probably more the sort of oddball thing H***** would produce anyway.

Hornby might be considering a new tooling to replace the antique Railroad 08 bodyshell.  A "simplified" D0226 for Railroad would be most suitable!

As an aside, the level of coverage in Engine Shed has been a lot better this year than it was trending towards the end of last year, keep up the good work!

Edited by Hroth
Minor typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

The mention of D0226 is so unsubtle I guess it's not a hint for a yet-to-be-announced mystery loco ......... probably more the sort of oddball thing H***** would produce anyway.

Hornby might be considering a new tooling to replace the antique Railroad 08 bodyshell.  A "simplified" D0226 for Railroad would be most suitable!

It could just be coincidence of course, "Vulcan" is the go-to diesel loco on the KWVR, and tends to be active most days, especially during the midweek winter period when the line is shut.  Case in point, it trundled past my house earlier, moving the visiting GWR Prairie that's up for the Gala.  I'm sure it will be out and about on the engineering trains tomorrow too.

That said, I would love to see a model of Vulcan in the Railroad range- it would make a good use of the existing 0-6-0 chassis, has carried a few prototypical liveries, and would no doubt look good in some freelance ones too!  I'd certainly buy a couple :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Can't see it myself. Obscure diesel that has spent virtually all of it's existence in preservation.

More likely to appear from someone like Judith Edge Kits if at all.

Jason

But why publish a pic?

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But why publish a pic?

Because it's a blog and that's what people do in blogs, post pictures of their "day out".

Makes a change from people posting what they had for dinner I suppose.

There is a Class 37 in two of the photos. Does that mean they are tooling a new version of one of those as well? Extremely doubtful.

Jason

• Agree 1

I dare say the Hornby chaps measured D0226 whilst they were there. That would be normal practice. If something like a W1 can be produced, why not an obscure diesel shunter? It just might be that the picture has been planted to see if it generates a lot of lust or perhaps just for interest’s sake or just downright devilment. I hadn’t heard of them and had to scuttle off to Wikipedia. Vulcan might have been measured as well.

As for Edward Thompson, for all the criticism there has been of Bachmann’s Peppercorns, I find them imposing and impressive models. Thompson’s various A2s may look a bit clumsier but I expect the models will turn out to be just as imposing as the Bachmanns, unless there’s a slip up.

The 91s? Meh. It’s probably too late to do much but I’m sure Hornby is wedded to 8-pin. That being so, I would hope that enough switches are provided to extinguish cab lights and tail lights – if tail lights are fitted at all. A decent metal sprung pantograph would be welcome too – even if it isn’t remote controlled like Bachmann’s 90.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben B said:

It could just be coincidence of course, "Vulcan" is the go-to diesel loco on the KWVR, and tends to be active most days, especially during the midweek winter period when the line is shut.  Case in point, it trundled past my house earlier, moving the visiting GWR Prairie that's up for the Gala.  I'm sure it will be out and about on the engineering trains tomorrow too.

That said, I would love to see a model of Vulcan in the Railroad range- it would make a good use of the existing 0-6-0 chassis, has carried a few prototypical liveries, and would no doubt look good in some freelance ones too!  I'd certainly buy a couple :)

And there was a half sister too : D0227 was a diesel hydraulic -  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it.

3 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

And there was a half sister too : D0227 was a diesel hydraulic -  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it.

I think I've seen some photographs of them both together, in a book on diesel shunters; externally seemed to be identical.  They both carried a rather striking black livery with red/orange go faster stripe when new.  "Vulcan" has been somewhat more technicolour in preservation, until it's present more sombre BR green, which I don't think it ever carried in service.

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR_Prairie-Delivery_DAMEMS_4144_Vulcan_28_02.20_02.JPG.89b6ef80cb197d459dc814177f9c85ca.JPG

Not the best shot of "Vulcan" I've ever taken, but to be fair, it was sleeting quite spectacularly this lunchtime when it went past me :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

So good to have the Engine Shed back doing just what it is best at. Building anticipation and tipping the balance from mild interest in a new model to positive desire to own. 

Agree 100%. I get the feeling the knowledgeable guys in the product development team are providing the content now rather than it being more of a marketing-led piece. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

An interesting read.  Does anyone know what the coach is behind the LMS RFO in the Kidderminster Carriage shed? Wondering if there by coincidence or Hornby efficiently measuring other items at the same time.

David

image.png.09e8d9bc5cfa3f3fda9ef960d71e6817.png

Collett Sunshine?

• Like 1

On Twitter, @Islesycommented that there was “possibly a hint to two at what the future holds.”  I’m sure he’d appreciate a bit of froth to distract us all from the virus so I thought I’d post.  I’m wondering if that coach behind the RFO is one thing.  As many have commented, releasing the coaches in their underlying diagrams would make sense, perhaps particularly the RFO above.  Hidden in plain sight so to speak! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

An interesting read.  Does anyone know what the coach is behind the LMS RFO in the Kidderminster Carriage shed? Wondering if there by coincidence or Hornby efficiently measuring other items at the same time.

David

It looks like GWR diner third 9627, part of the SVR Limited dining train. It is paired with kitchen diner first 9625. I have built the pair with Comet sides on an old Airfix B-set. Hopefully, I’ll be able to upgrade!

Paul 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A very informative read I thought . Never realised the newer Pendolinos were Class 391s . Also gives a great insight into the depths of research into the Coronation coaches

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

On Twitter, @Islesycommented that there was “possibly a hint to two at what the future holds.”  I’m sure he’d appreciate a bit of froth to distract us all from the virus so I thought I’d post.  I’m wondering if that coach behind the RFO is one thing.  As many have commented, releasing the coaches in their underlying diagrams would make sense, perhaps particularly the RFO above.  Hidden in plain sight so to speak! 

Thanks for pointing that out. I've not gone through the written part of the blog yet, but picture wise, these seem to be the only ones that can hold clues:-

https://www.Hornby.com/media/gene-bluefoot/y/t/yt6x9029.jpg

https://www.Hornby.com/media/gene-bluefoot/i/m/img_4372.jpg

https://www.Hornby.com/media/gene-bluefoot/y/t/yt6x1229.jpg

https://www.Hornby.com/media/gene-bluefoot/y/t/yt6x1291.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The LMS 1st open has been part of the SVR predominately GW dining set since it entered traffic - I dont think  it has been deliberately paired with 9627 for Hornby's benefit. I'm about to start work on a Comet LMS buffet car so can pretty much guarantee Hornby will release exactly the same diagram just about the time I am finishing it :)

• Like 1