The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

I used to follow his threads on here with great interest.  My impression (just as a reader, not a customer of his) was that though a professional designer, builder and painter of coaches for many years, he had come quite late to building a layout of his own.  The quality and the sheer speed of his output were extremely high, and could be inspirational at times; and he wasn't afraid to rip-up his work and start again when he thought of a better idea. 

However, he also unfortunately gave the aura of actually enjoying being a bit of an 'old curmudgeon' at times, and of not suffering what he saw as fools gladly.  I'm not sure exactly what happened, he just seemed to disappear from this site, but he may simply have ruffled the wrong feathers once too often.

I don't think that Larry ever intended or wanted to be curmudgeonly. He was very generous with advice and help. But he definitely had a few "off" days when he could be over-sensitive and react accordingly.

I think that both the Bachmann Patriot and the Hornby Duchess are good colour renditions.

The Loveless W1 is what I have always understood to be the "right" colour and matches contemporary photos. But photos, especially B&W, are very influenced by the light conditions. So it could be that the charcoal grey is right but it does not appeal to me.

4 hours ago, micklner said:

He was banned,no idea why, the relevant posts are deleted.

But, then, wouldn't his profile in his past posts be marked as 'guest' and the icon blanked out?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There's a new Engine Shed up today

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/dining-mk1rb-testing-advanced-passenger-train

It covers the Captain Tom Moore Class 66 locomotive, the BR Mk.1 RB coach and the APT-P.  

These get more and more interesting!  The photos of the original APT especially so - both Hornby's photos of it from 2019 at Crewe, and the original BR publicity prints. Looking out of the cab of this ultra modern train, and there's an original Mini!  And the photo below - there's a Rover 2000.  These road vehicles are reminders that the APT didn't happen yesterday - it was all a long time ago.

When Hornby launch the Mk 1 RB, I hope they don't adopt the colour scheme of the coach on the Epping and Ongar Railway - I think most of us would complain about the washed out paintwork!

Finally, in the last photo of the model APT on test, what are those two coaches at the back, with end windows?  Hornby's recent Collett coaches have windows like that, but is that what these are?

John Storey

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, it's-er said:

When Hornby launch the Mk 1 RB, I hope they don't adopt the colour scheme of the coach on the Epping and Ongar Railway - I think most of us would complain about the washed out paintwork!

Finally, in the last photo of the model APT on test, what are those two coaches at the back, with end windows?  Hornby's recent Collett coaches have windows like that, but is that what these are?

John Storey

I am hoping for that coach from the Epping and Ongar Railway...but in pristine condition. Maybe a 2021 product?

They also mention that they measured up other locos and rolling stock at the Epping and Ongar Railway.

Yes I hope someone can shed some light on those coaches with the two windows on the ends.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

This is the only Hornby product I've found that matched those images to a certain degree, but there are differences. The window arrangement at the ends are different that usual, others had the windows towards the sides. These are more towards the centre. The difference is the lack of pipes running across the windows and those S shaped pipes being the opposite way around. Excuse my lack of correct terminology. Coaches and anything from the days gone by is not really my thing.

R4522C_3370574_Qty1_1.jpg

apt_stereo_3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, it's-er said:

That's the former Riviera Train's "The Great Briton" Mk1 Kitchen Car, of which I believe there were two for the set and both painted into that Oxford Blue scheme. The set has since been disbanded and now all of Riviera's Mk2s are in BR Blue Grey livery with Inter-City branding*. However, I wouldn't mind seeing "The Great Briton" in model form as like most of the Mk2 fleet, were part of the main staple of Railtours over the past two decades. 

https://www.riviera-trains.co.uk/thegreatbriton.htm

*they have just been granted permission from the DfT to use the trademark and has been applied to two former ScotRail MK2Fs.  

47 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

This is the only Hornby product I've found that matched those images to a certain degree, but there are differences. The window arrangement at the ends are different that usual, others had the windows towards the sides. These are more towards the centre. The difference is the lack of pipes running across the windows and those S shaped pipes being the opposite way around. Excuse my lack of correct terminology. Coaches and anything from the days gone by is not really my thing.

R4522C_3370574_Qty1_1.jpg

apt_stereo_3.jpg

Reminds me of the one half of this pair from Didcot, the GWR D62 Non-Corridor Brake Third Carriage 3755.

48638372101_d38fdee57a_b.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I thought this was a great edition . Congratulations Hornby , clearly they have upped their game .  After watching it I’m now thinking I should be ordering a 7 car APT 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Aren’t those coaches most likely to be samples of the Coronation Scot rake?

Not with those roofs. The Coronation Scot sets had pressure ventilation. Otherwise they were standard LMS coaches.

The end windows in the brake ends were also nearer the sides as they had corridors in the middle. LMS brake here for comparison.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/431080/hornby_r4449b_ex_lms_period_iii_brake_third_m5914m_in_br_crimson_and_cream/stockdetail.aspx

Coronation Scot version here.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/513805/hornby_r4960_stanier_period_iii_57_btk_d1905_5812_in_lms_coronation_scot_blue_sold_out_on_pr/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Agree 1

I'm wondering whether Hornby are back to their old tricks, by incorporating

the odd ' teaser ' incidental to the main subject. They created a lot of froth

and interest by doing this in the past.

I agree with a previous post suggesting a Thompson Brake Composite.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another vintage edition.  For those who have waited years for Thompson A2/2 and A2/3 locomotives rtr, this edition is a delight and a feast for the eyes - here we have first photos of tooling for these.

And there's lots more beside - GWR 51xx/61xx, Bluetooth analogue control system, an Electrotren railcar, and more images of forthcoming Terriers and GBRf Class 47 locomotives.

Excellent!

John Storey

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tramshed said:

davidw. Do you (or anyone else) know what became of the dedicated thread for the A2/2 & A2/3s?

Seems to be an error with the forum, I cannot find it anywhere on the Hornby sub-forum. A google search gave results, but then the link ended up with an error notice.

Maybe @Andy Y can help?

!

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX0

21 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Seems to be an error with the forum, I cannot find it anywhere on the Hornby sub-forum. A google search gave results, but then the link ended up with an error notice.

Maybe @Andy Y can help?

That is the error code I am getting for the Hornby A2/2 and Hornby A2/3 thread.