The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Rails can't do anything right when it comes to Hornby can they, first the Terrier, now the LMR 3rd class coach.

I've just suggested to Rails they propose to do the Mk4 coaches now.

I doubt very much this is Hornby building an expanding range of early railways, the Rocket was an anniversary special re-running the Triang model albeit updated, the LMR open looks like another shot at Rails and nothing more.

Or more likely, Rails having a pop at Hornby. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Or maybe the reverse of what has been suggested and Hornby got wind of what Rails were planning when Rails got the measurements of the coach and brought their model into production whilst Rails were doing their CAD work.

So you're saying Hornby went to the trouble of designing something and laying down tooling to spite Rails who did something that was as simple as making some CAD models and looked into getting them 3D printed? I.e. lot of cost vs little cost.

Hornby will have had to put more effort into the CAD for an injection moulded assembly than Rails will have for a 3D print.

Sounds like a lot of effort and an expensive way to try and prove a point TBH.

Maybe, just maybe, it was all a coincidence? Rails spotted an opportunity, and good on them for doing so, but Hornby were already on the case.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 9

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Maybe, just maybe, it was all a coincidence? Rails spotted an opportunity, and good on them for doing so, but Hornby were already on the case.

Thats exactly how rails put it in their statement regarding cancelling their product.

They said they weren't expecting that Hornby would look at doing further coaches to complement Rocket so saw an opening in the market. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Thats exactly how rails put it in their statement regarding cancelling their product.

They said they weren't expecting that Hornby would look at doing further coaches to complement Rocket so saw an opening in the market. 

Exactly. Although they wouldn't say much different in a press release regardless of the underlying circumstances I don't think.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a few gremlins in the system today, so the Blog is currently being re-uploaded in its entirety. Normal service will be resumed shortly...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

I'd love to see a super detailed version of the 264 class one day. Was certainly nice to see all the different liveries that have been on offer at one point or another.

My thoughts exactly while reading the part on the pug.

Especially as they could go down the route of the Ruston 48DS and include the tender with additional pickups, they've proved small locos can be made and sell well. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ideally, Hornby will one day tool up an accurate model of a Caley pug and "tender".

In the meantime, I'd like to see a run of 56025 minus the graffiti and with a nice BR crest as per the prototype photo.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Like others have said a newly tooled Caley 264 Class Pug would be lovely to see. 

I guess options of a Drummond Y9 NBR/LNER would also be viable. 

9 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Was certainly nice to see all the different liveries that have been on offer at one point or another.

All the liveries up to that point when Pat Hammond did that article.....  I have a list of all the liveries (from searches on the old interweb and old catalogues), and as of 2020 there's been just over 35 different liveries throughout the design's illustrious history; I do have a particular liking for these pugs, even if not 'proper' scale models - some might say I'm crazy having 17 of them!  :crazy:   I do have the list with me when visiting exhibitions (or a picture on my phone) just so I remember what liveries I already have.

• Like 1

I never had one. My brother has still got the original Caledonian one with the handrails, before they simplified it.

The one I've got was an unpainted body from somewhere like East Kent Models quite a few years ago.

I feel less guilty mutilating an unfinished one rather than a variant that someone might collect. :butcher:

Jason

• Like 1

No mention of the almost identical LSWR version whuich is begging for a few more livery options to be produced. Whilst not no.25, the lined black with lion over wheel has been done before.

The Holden is now up to 38 liveries, all but one available to the public since introduction in 78  (NOT including different catalouge numbers, running numbers and paint finishes) but have not worked out a pug list from 80 yet !

Did have all the Holdens at one time, just for fun but now back down to a handful along with several pugs but i do have a pug  hit list of several more. i do like the red ones !

Edited by Co-tr-Paul
addition.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Reviving Stroudley’s ‘Improved Engine Green’ for a new Collector Club exclusive model.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/new-collector-club-exclusive-model

Thank goodness for some of the photos in there as I was beginning to wonder if it was Hornby or me:unsure:    I simply could not remember seeing 'Brighton Works' with all that vivid green edging but the heading photo shows the engine much more how I remember it although it was a bit cleaner than in that view.  The green obviously darkened considerably as it weathered and was cleaned with, presumably, the usual mix of paraffin and oil. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The August edition of TES will be delayed until 21/08/2020.... So keep an eye out for it next Friday.

I read that and thought, What’s the Times Educational Supplement go to do with railways...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8