The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium
On 23/08/2020 at 17:58, RyanN91 said:

Well the next Engine Shed is due on September 11, then the rest ,October 9, November 6 and December 4. I quite like the delays in them by a week, it adds to the speculation of what the next months will be about.

Are we due an edition of The Engine Shed this week?

Hope it’s a good one given it’ll be Paul Isles final one before he moves to Accurascale:

Fingers crossed for an update on the Class 91 project. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Hope it’s a good one given it’ll be Paul Isles final one before he moves to Accurascale:

11th of this month should have been the next edition, let's see.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, MrTea said:

Yes I'm hoping for update on the BR Class 91 and decorated samples of both BR APT-P Class 370! I'm probably asking for too much there. What ever is included I'll be pleased with!

I do hope we will get see a finished approved sample of the gold plated loco box , sleeve, case, packaging, plinth etc of R3824 BR 35028 'Clan Line', Centenary Year Limited Edition - 2000. As I believe this is now the only centenary product which we haven't seen A finalised sample of yet! (please Correct me if I am wrong!)

3 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

On Hornby's last Engine Shed they said on the end of all, the next regular will be on 18th of September, so one week more to wait

Thank you for that! So next one is due 18th not the 11th!

15 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Yes I'm hoping for update on the BR Class 91 and decorated samples of both BR APT-P Class 370! I'm probably asking for too much there. What ever is included I'll be pleased with!

I do hope we will get see a finished approved sample of the gold plated loco box , sleeve, case, packaging, plinth etc of R3824 BR 35028 'Clan Line', Centenary Year Limited Edition - 2000. As I believe this is now the only centenary product which we haven't seen A finalised sample of yet! (please Correct me if I am wrong!)

Ryan,

We still have R1251M - the 100 year Hornby Centenary set containing the BR black E/C Princess Elizabeth and LMS Stanier coaches awaiting release.

I'd be more excited if the Rebuilt M/N was a newly tooled version as per the 2017 released airsmooth variant.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

FYI, We still have R1251M - the 100 year Hornby Centenary set containing the BR black E/C Princess Elizabeth and LMS Stanier coaches awaiting release.

We've seen samples of it though

6 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Ryan,

We still have R1251M - the 100 year Hornby Centenary set containing the BR black E/C Princess Elizabeth and LMS Stanier coaches awaiting release.

I'd be more excited if the Rebuilt M/N was a newly tooled version as per their 2017 released airsmooth version.

4 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Fair comment, but I really can't imagine this S/E version of Clan Line, gold plated parts aside, being much different from the norm.

Yes I know :D I was referring to the Centenary packaging for the finalised approved sample with the locomotive on the plinth  I wonder what colour Hornby will choose for the box presentation box etc?  and I would love to see the plinth!  That was what I I meant I know it being gold plated is the only difference from the existing tooling! Am I  the only one who is interested in the special packaging?  :scared: :laugh:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Yes I know :D I was referring to the Centenary packaging for the finalised approved sample with the locomotive on the plinth  I wonder what colour Hornby will choose for the box presentation box etc?  and I would love to see the plinth!  That was what I I meant I know it being gold plated is the only difference from the existing tooling! Am I  the only one who is interested in the special packaging?  :scared: :laugh:

No I went for the Tri-ang Rocket Commemoration set  rather than the main range one , because I wanted the Tri-ang packaging and the cost was marginal.  The packaging on the Duchess of Atholl , Sir Nigel Gresley  and the original Tri-ang Princess trainsets also look very nice , but it wasn't enough of an incentive for me to splash the cash!  I do wonder if we might see other retro packaging , though , as I think the Centenary range has been very succesfull .   If they extend that to a retro style catalogue , perhaps reverting to Landscape format that would also be good . I just find existing catalogues, although very professional, bland and lacking in excitement.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Legend said:

No I went for the Tri-ang Rocket Commemoration set  rather than the main range one , because I wanted the Tri-ang packaging and the cost was marginal.  The packaging on the Duchess of Atholl , Sir Nigel Gresley  and the original Tri-ang Princess trainsets also look very nice , but it wasn't enough of an incentive for me to splash the cash!  I do wonder if we might see other retro packaging , though , as I think the Centenary range has been very succesfull .   If they extend that to a retro style catalogue , perhaps reverting to Landscape format that would also be good . I just find existing catalogues, although very professional, bland and lacking in excitement.

I too also own the Centenary Tri-ang Rocket absolutely stunning the packaging locomotive and coaches crew members. Inevitable huge improvement on the detail  comparied to the 1960s tooling last issued in 1982-1983 (uncatalogued)!  I do wonder which other Hornby Centenary products were originally considered. Perhaps a 1980s Blue belt APT 1981 5 car train pack but perhaps this may have been shelved as this newly tooled model was/is still being in development. I am glad they went along with a 1983 Centenary Smokey Joe I love this one! although not a major issue the Hornby Railways logo on the sides of the box is actually the 1986-1996, (but still used on products until 1999 though) not the 1978-79, 1984-85 one.

I also wonder if this theme will be carried on in future ranges again as limited editions in decade inspired packaging. The last time it was used was in 2012 to mark the 40th Anniversary of the Hornby Railways brand with a special 1972 limited edition inspired Evening Star with retro style packaging and a certificate (very similar to the centenary 1971 Evening Star  (not Tri-ang Hornby and ommiting the presentation ribbon box etc and resin miniature replica of the commemorative plate). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the 1980 APT tooling was confirmed as destroyed.

I’m wondering if versions of N2 , A4 , Duchess , Castle , 8F , 08 and even 20  will appear as limited editions on Hornby Dublo packaging . 

I can’t imagine that Hornby went to all that trouble producing only  500 Duchess of Atholls in diecast , so I imagine other Duchesses will follow . But could we see diecast A4 and Castles ? You could see that people who already have models of these might be swung to get a diecast one . So it expands the market by changing to diecast .

I wonder if the EM2 tooling still exists . How about that and Lord of The Isles appearing in Triang packaging ( assuming they’re can still use Triang name) 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Legend said:

I’m wondering if versions of N2 , A4 , Duchess , Castle , 8F , 08 and even 20  will appear as limited editions on Hornby Dublo packaging . 

I can’t imagine that Hornby went to all that trouble producing only  500 Duchess of Atholls in diecast , so I imagine other Duchesses will follow . But could we see diecast A4 and Castles ? 

I wonder if the EM2 tooling still exists . How about that and Lord of The Isles appearing in Triang packaging ( assuming they’re can still use Triang name) 

It is a shame alot of toolings were destroyed/discarded (incuding the 1980 APT-P one) you'd imagine giving they coast ten of thousands £s to make and not to mention the cost of research visting examples etc, that they'd be safeguarded.  I remember reading somewhere I believed a tooling was sold on now part of a Chinese carIor something I recall I read that somewhere else.

I think if the EM2 toolings if they still exisit it would then be part of the RailRoad range.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RyanN91 said:

It is a shame alot of toolings were destroyed/discarded (incuding the 1980 APT-P one) you'd imagine giving they coast ten of thousands £s to make and not to mention the cost of research visting examples etc, that they'd be safeguarded.  I remember reading somewhere I believed a tooling was sold on now part of a Chinese carIor something I recall I read that somewhere else.

I think if the EM2 toolings if they still exisit it would then be part of the RailRoad range.

The EM2 was well regarded back in the day . Mind you that was 60 years ago! . Not sure what bogies it used . They would probably need remodelled. Might make it un economic 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Legend said:

The EM2 was well regarded back in the day . Mind you that was 60 years ago! . Not sure what bogies it used . They would probably need remodelled. Might make it un economic 

With new bogies it would give the Heljan a run for its money! It’s quite exceptional for its time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

i heard they where sold on to someone allot closer to shore.......

• Like 1

Absolutely it will probably need a superdeatiled newly tooled that and a BR Class 81 would be good I'd love to see that! Giving Rockets popularity I'd love to see Novelty and Sans Pareil! And I forgot to add yes following Duchess of Atholl more Hornby Dublo would be a winner!

25 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

It is a shame alot of toolings were destroyed/discarded (incuding the 1980 APT-P one) you'd imagine giving they coast ten of thousands £s to make and not to mention the cost of research visting examples etc, that they'd be safeguarded.

Indeed you’d imagine. It’s all too common that new management comes in with new ideas not properly thought through. In particular, time is not taken to find out how a company and its market functions. Heaven preserve us from the “ideas man”!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Photo of the box on the website and has been there for some time. No idea of the rest though.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-35028-clan-line-centenary-year-limited-edition-2000.html

r3824_merchant-navy-clan-line_3d-box.jpg

Jason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Legend said:

I can’t imagine that Hornby went to all that trouble producing only  500 Duchess of Atholls in diecast , so I imagine other Duchesses will follow . But could we see diecast A4 and Castles ? You could see that people who already have models of these might be swung to get a diecast one . So it expands the market by changing to diecast .

I think that is bob on myself.  I fully expect to see more diecast Duchesses followed by an A4 in Dublo packaging. 

The EM2 moulds have been destroyed per Simon Kohler.