The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

21 hours ago, robmcg said:

Are any or all of these pre-sold-out?   To me the grey versions are the most impressive and I'm interested in buying a version which actually ran.

19 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hattons have all versions listed as sold out on pre-order. May be some still available out there somewhere. 

12 hours ago, bigherb said:

Hornby still have them all for pre order with free postage.

KMRC have all but the one that @robmcg has in mind available (R3840). I almost pooped myself when I got a 404 for it, but that's simply because it's no longer available, and my preorder is safe.

Rob, if I were you, I wouldn't procrastinate for too long. Hornby seems like a safe bet.

Derails have sold out their allocation, but are taking EOI for an expected extension (possibly as a result of the Rails fallout):

https://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=w1&product_id=2608

Edited by truffy
spilling

On 25/09/2020 at 15:16, trevor7598 said:

Good to see the Mk 1 Restaurant Buffet cars coming along.

The vehicles Hornby have modelled are later builds with separate Beclawat windows,

the sliding lights of which should represent unpainted aluminium. Certainly the batch

delivered to the Southern were like this.

It is likely that by the time Blue & Grey came along the sliders would have been painted over.

P1400123.JPG

P1400126.JPG

Have those roofs been photoshopped ??.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 4069 said:

Civil servants are paid monthly

Why aren't I surprised - typical of Govt and the CS who love to over-complicate things.  Maybe they don't know that the lengths of the months vary?

BTW have their been any underframe views of the W1 anywhere please?  If so I missed them and it will be interesting to see how Hornby are tackling things on that wheel arrangement - compared with the slightly longer KR Fell although I don't doubt that Hornby's designers have a pretty good idea of how to deal with it.

9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Why aren't I surprised - typical of Govt and the CS who love to over-complicate things.  Maybe they don't know that the lengths of the months vary?

Mike, while I commend your later valiant attempt to get this thread back on topic, I should point out that there are some advantages to being paid on a set day each month. For example, it allows you to set the date for those fixed monthly payments, such as mortgage, to go out while your account is still flush with cash. 

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, truffy said:

Mike, while I commend your later valiant attempt to get this thread back on topic, I should point out that there are some advantages to being paid on a set day each month. For example, it allows you to set the date for those fixed monthly payments, such as mortgage, to go out while your account is still flush with cash. 

Indeed having worked for a number of private companies over the last 40 years, varying in size from 500 to 100,000 employees, I've always been paid monthly. The only person I know paid 4 weekly says it's a right pain for the reason you mention, and not just mortgage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, truffy said:

But being paid every 4 weeks provides that, too! And for each of those regular monthly payments, including the mortgage, there is one 4-weekly period in the year when it isn't taken, thus providing a predictable bonus sum if needed. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Anybody who worked for BR and their successors was paid 4 weekly, 13 accounting periods a year. It was very useful as there was always a month when there were two pay days. Having D.D.s and S.O.s going out monthly was never an issue and some can be set for every 4 weeks too.

• Agree 3

Just now, acg5324 said:

Anybody who worked for BR and their successors was paid 4 weekly, 13 accounting periods a year. It was very useful as there was always a month when there were two pay days. Having D.D.s and S.O.s going out monthly was never an issue and some can be set for every 4 weeks too.

RSSB still pay four-weekly; we're shortly to find out if the pension is paid in the same fashion. Most French workers I know are paid 13 months; the thirteenth month being intended to pay their tax.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

The BR pension is still paid 4 weekly.

The RB, RBR looks very nice indeed.

Agree - all nice and predictable for the past 50+ years and ,very occasional hiccoughs apart, always paid into the bank on the same day of the week unless that day is a Bank Holiday (which is not very often).   Definitely unlike my Lloyds Register pension (only a small amount so no problem) which isn't even paid on a consistent day of the week because it is always, Bank Hols apart, paid on the same date in the month so it goes into the bank on any day between Monday and Friday.

Anybody know about the W1 underframe?

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 4069 said:

Civil servants are paid monthly

And presumably anyone based on the civil service model.

I get my (BT/PO/GPO/Civil Service) pension at the end of the month, however Christmas month it is paid before Christmas.

SWMBO worked for a Local Authority and she was also paid monthly as is her Pension.

Bring on the W1 chassis

43 minutes ago, melmerby said:

And presumably anyone based on the civil service model.

I get my (BT/PO/GPO/Civil Service) pension at the end of the month, however Christmas month it is paid before Christmas.

SWMBO worked for a Local Authority and she was also paid monthly as is her Pension.

Bring on the W1 chassis

As a Civil Servant I was paid monthly at the end of the month: when my job was hived off to the CAA it stayed the same and continued to do so when it was hived off to NATS; that was subsequently privatised but the payments stayed the same.  However my pension, from the CAA Pension Fund, is paid monthly at the begining of the month.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Indeed having worked for a number of private companies over the last 40 years, varying in size from 500 to 100,000 employees, I've always been paid monthly. The only person I know paid 4 weekly says it's a right pain for the reason you mention, and not just mortgage.

I'd guess the reason NR pay is 4-weekly dates back to the historical change from weekly pay in cash which was once predominant in the railway industry. That changeover was in progress when I joined in 1992 and I went straight to 4-weekly.

I had no real difficulty transitioning from my previous monthly pay in retail banking, the only shock was how much my mortgage payments went up! On the income side, the next payment actually arrives sooner than it would with monthly pay so if one can allow for a full set of monthly outgoings from each four-weekly payment, it takes care of itself. Doing so delivers an added benefit in that the regular expenses are covered from twelve payments, so the thirteenth 4-weekly payment is all yours. I used to tuck some of that into an "emergencies" account as a backstop to pay for a big ticket item like a domestic appliance or TV going kaput at a time when I was unable to cover the cost from income. That worked so well that I ceased adding to the fund years before I retired and it still holds £2.5k. 

My banking background meant I'd already organised myself around two current accounts, regular income/outgoings through one with "my" money transferred to the second for spending. 

It's a system that works well, and makes organising ones finances much less fraught than many seem to find when trying to juggle a single account.

John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

No. I don't do photoshop. Both coaches are fresh from works,

so the silver-grey colour is natural.

No Trevor, In a roundabout way, I was referring to the 'missing' exaggerated roof panel joints Hornby are so keen on. :banghead:

Edited by Ceptic

8 hours ago, Ceptic said:

No Trevor, In a roundabout way, I was referring to the 'missing' exaggerated roof panel joints Hornby are so keen on. :banghead:

I agree, there is a difference between representing a welded seam and a protruding rib

on model Mk1's. I can't understand why this feature, which is so overscale, is considered

acceptable by both Bachmann and Hornby. Bachmann then went the other way and 

produced a completely smooth roof on later models.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, trevor7598 said:

I agree, there is a difference between representing a welded seam and a protruding rib

on model Mk1's. I can't understand why this feature, which is so overscale, is considered

acceptable by both Bachmann and Hornby. Bachmann then went the other way and 

produced a completely smooth roof on later models.

All the solutions so far offered to the Mk1 roof conundrum in r-t-r have been unsatisfactory, though Bachmann's later one is probably the least of the evils on offer. At least they don't need a load of laborious filing!

The seam welds on the prototypes are probably impossible to represent in model form without them being either too coarse or completely invisible, as evidenced thus far.

One solution, whilst also not a perfect depiction of reality, might be printed lines, which would look pretty much "right" through a subtle application of weathering, but probably be a too-obvious subterfuge without.

My own preference would be for the joints to be represented by very fine grooves which would have a certain finesse even with a factory finish and look very much better than anything else when weathered. Trouble is, there would be a thin line (sorry) between creating the right impression and another dose of the glaringly-overscale.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

All the solutions so far offered to the Mk1 roof conundrum in r-t-r have been unsatisfactory, though Bachmann's later one is probably the least of the evils on offer. At least they don't need a load of laborious filing!

The seam welds on the prototypes are probably impossible to represent in model form without them being either too coarse or completely invisible, as evidenced thus far.

One solution, whilst also not a perfect depiction of reality, might be printed lines, which would look pretty much "right" through a subtle application of weathering, but probably be a too-obvious subterfuge without.

My own preference would be for the joints to be represented by very fine grooves which would have a certain finesse even with a factory finish and look very much better than anything else when weathered. Trouble is, there would be a thin line (sorry) between creating the right impression and another dose of the glaringly-overscale.

John

The thing about grooves is that they need more tooling work than seams produced in relief.  I reckon printing is probably the best answer in terms of getting near to scale.