The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Anyone noticed the following text on the end of last Engine Shed?

I was looking for the next date for the following Engine Shed and found this in the last words of Octobers Engine Shed, not read before.

and no date mentioned for next one.

------------------------------------------------------

This brings to an end, my editorship of the Engine Shed. Next month and every month after that, Hornby's new researcher,James Bryant

will be taking over the role, so for now, thank you for reading, thank you for your continued support and please stay safe and well.

Simon Kohler 

Looks like  , Simon has handed it over. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Anyone noticed the following text on the end of last Engine Shed?

I was looking for the next date for the following Engine Shed and found this in the last words of Octobers Engine Shed, not read before.

and no date mentioned for next one.

This brings to an end, my editorship of the Engine Shed. Next month and every month after that, Hornby's new researcher,James Bryant

will be taking over the role, so for now, thank you for reading, thank you for your continued support and please stay safe and well.

Simon Kohler 

Looks like  , Simon has handed it over. 

I'm glad he's handing it over to someone who does research.  I was most disappointed with his appearance on the Engine Shed when talking about the short Bulleids - he was selling them as suitable for 1930s traffic - the frames were Maunsell, built in 1940, with the bodies ordered by Bulleid in 1944.

I'm not usually so pedantic but it opened my eyes that Mr Kohler works in Marketing/Development and he's good at that but doesn't do the research as it's not his area.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, truffy said:

TBH I didn't realise that he wrote it anyway, it's always been signed off The Engine Shed Team

Simon stepped in to write and curate Engine Shed when I left Hornby back in September. I always signed it as ‘The Engine Shed Team’ to recognise the work that Lucy (web) and David (photographer) put into helping get the blog out every four weeks. That’s aside from the input from the Development team, who supplied CAD images, Decoration Guides and Factory images.

Hope that goes some way to helping explain?

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

19 hours ago, Islesy said:

Simon stepped in to write and curate Engine Shed when I left Hornby back in September. I always signed it as ‘The Engine Shed Team’ to recognise the work that Lucy (web) and David (photographer) put into helping get the blog out every four weeks. That’s aside from the input from the Development team, who supplied CAD images, Decoration Guides and Factory images.

Hope that goes some way to helping explain?

I did think that it was you who wrote it in the past, Paul. Simon stepping in briefly between your departure and your replacement’s tenure explains it all. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

They sign off by saying the next one will review the models from the year... No date is given when that will be, presumably Christmas Day or maybe Christmas Eve...

There is also a mention about next years new products release, but again no date is given for this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Are we due December's Engine shed tomorrow? As next Friday the last of the month is Christmas Day. Also December's is usually published around this time as last years December edition was on the 18/12/2019.

9 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

No one knows yet as nothing was mentioned.

Last months edition did mention there would be a year look back edition in December. Edit: last years December edition was actually on 20/12/2019. I had my dates muddled with this year today's date 18/12/2020.  So when this will be published is anyone's guess. Perhaps the 21st December. Or later. Or inless we will actually receive two editions in January as in 2019 October's edition wasn't published until November 1st and there was that month's edition at the end of the month as well. Either way I'm sure we'll get this soon. 

• RMweb Premium

The new Engine Shed is out. As expected it’s a review of 2020. At the end, it says the next will be in 5 January 2021 and will feature the 2021 announcements, which hopefully means new models (at least engineering prototypes if not further advanced) will be ready to show.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The new Engine Shed is out. As expected it’s a review of 2020. 

For a 2020 review, I found it very thin, especially compared to previous annual reviews, e.g. the future Coronation Scot coaches were omitted despite all the development work mentioned in previous editions.

In particular, previous annual review editions have reviewed all of the major releases in the year reviewed,  starting with the January releases first: apart from the Centenary releases in this one,  which seems to be mentioned rather briefly at the end, there is very little mention of any of the other releases for 2020.

So, I found this edition of the Engine Shed somewhat dull and very flat.  I appreciate that Hornby doesn't want to spoil the excitement of the 2021 announcements in January so I didn't expect to see mention of any future releases in this edition.  But not even a teaser to whet the appetite?

Just my initial and personal reaction to it,

Jeremy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I never see the point in recapping the years engine sheds. They are all still there to read. Nothing new in the recap ones, not even a teaser as to new announcements. Looking forward to the next one on the 5th though. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Short and sweet... Don't expect anything more than a simple review of what has been a rather terrible year for the world. 

A rather terrible year for the world yes, but a rather good year for Hornby, and this is rather understated...

• Agree 3

Somehow I think Hornby know they would have got the mood of the world wrong with a big congratulatory review of 2020 and how well they have done.

It's one thing making announcements for the Stock Exchange but you wouldn't be blowing your own trumpet to the people who are buying your product in the middle of a pandemic.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Somehow I think Hornby know they would have got the mood of the world wrong with a big congratulatory review of 2020 and how well they have done.

It's one thing making announcements for the Stock Exchange but you wouldn't be blowing your own trumpet to the people who are buying your product in the middle of a pandemic.

For many of us, the pandemic restrictions have meant we have "spare" grey pounds for model trains that would otherwise have funded holidays, pubbing etc.

OK, there will be many others who's income has been decimated and to whom I extend my sympathies.

However, the overall effect on Hornby's recovery seems to have been positive and worthy of celebration on their part. Let us hope that those who have had to forgo joining in the process will soon be in a position to do so once again.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Man Alive some of you blokes are a difficult lot to satisfy. 

Dunsignalling nails it here, Spare cash from no Fuel bills especially helped buying power this year.

ahh but has your utilities and food  bills gone up because  you are at home all the time?