The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MrTea said:

Not sure what others think but I found this month’s instalment a bit lightweight in terms of content and insight. 

I definitely preferred Engine Shed when it gave an insight into the development process of the models and focused more on the research side of things. 

What do other readers think?

Decidedly lightweight in content this month yes.

Sadly the days of an unexpected announcement are behind us. Having said that, there must have been more “news” that could be shared…… even if it was along the lines of shipping or container delays… “don’t worry folks, the factories aren’t running behind, everything is in a container stuck somewhere….”

But at the end of the day it’s only a hobby, there’s far more important stuff in life at the moment!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, davidw said:

Knock on effects of Covid kicking in?

And all sorts of other things.  Covid is still causing production (and model development delays) in China, there is a worldwide shortage of chips (of the electronic variety) and that is perhaps impacting model railway manufacturing area as much as it is car manufacturing etc, the cost of materials is rising rapidly which might cause delays where financing is tight, the cost of shipping and c ontainer space has sky-rocketed which again apart from adding delays could well squeeze cash flows and profitability, and finally the Chinese economy has just taken an enormous  hit from the collapse of the Ever Grande Property company (China's second largest property developer) and the Chinese Govt is having to inject a massive sum of money into the  economy as a result. 

So in summary bits and pieces of anything and everything could be delaying development and production in China and even if that hurdle is cleared the next one is actually getting the products on their way to the UK (among other western markets) - hence in the latter respect one company is moving some models from China to Europe by train.   What exactly Hornby's delays might be down to we don't know and thus far it appears they don't see any reason to tell us - after all we are already used to some of their products arriving more than a year later than advertised and no doubt for reasons beyond their control and they are still very much in business.

• Like 2

On 24/09/2021 at 18:56, MrTea said:

Not sure what others think but I found this month’s instalment a bit lightweight in terms of content and insight. 

I definitely preferred Engine Shed when it gave an insight into the development process of the models and focused more on the research side of things. 

What do other readers think?

new author may have bearing on that.    from previous Engine Shed 'This is my final Engine Shed before handing over to the new Hornby Researcher .'

Edited by NewSiding
  • Agree 1

I was surprised that it did not cover the forthcoming TV programme "Hornby: A Model World", which is due to start on Monday 11th October at 9:00pm on Yesterday channel (tbc).

https://toyworldmag.co.uk/new-Hornby-model-show-steams-onto-tv/

New Hornby model show steams onto TV

Published on: 23rd September 2021

The series will go behind the scenes at Hornby, looking at how models are designed, as well as showing the collectors who spend hours perfecting settings for their locos.

A new TV series showcasing Hornby will air next month, giving viewers and enthusiasts a glimpse into one of Britain’s best-loved model-making companies.

Hornby: A Model World will feature some of Britain’s best model layout builders, creating miniature masterpieces in their lofts and sheds, and highlight how dedicated model makers spend hundreds of hours building perfect replicas of towns, villages and landscapes as settings for their locomotives.

Based at the company’s headquarters in Kent, Hornby: A Model World is a nostalgic look at the company, home to Hornby Railways as well as the Corgi, Airfix and Scalextric brands. Viewers will also see how the dedicated design teams build new models, from century old steam engines to the latest racing cars. Each programme follows the process from the drawing board to perfect mini replicas, and the series also observes the ups and downs of the design process as the team tries to replicate the detail perfectly, whether it’s a 1930s steam loco or the stitching on a First World War fighter plane.

When Toy World first reported on the new series in April, UKTV’s senior commissioning editor, Helen Nightingale, said: “At Yesterday, we’re always on the lookout for hidden stories with fascinating history and passionate people, so we’re thrilled to work with leading factual producer Rare TV to share an exclusive behind the scenes look at Hornby, a quintessentially British institution.”

The first episode of Hornby: A Model World, from UKTV Original, will be shown on channel Yesterday on Monday 11th October at 9pm (tbc, subject to final schedules). All episodes will also be available on UKTV Play.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 24/09/2021 at 15:18, micklner said:

Hornby need to sell the A3 footplate as a seperate item. There are lot of "Ski Jump" versions  A3's out there that need a new footplate !

I expect Hornby are more interested in selling brand new complete locos than selling spare parts. The sale of the parts could potentially reduce interest in the new releases.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I expect Hornby are more interested in selling brand new complete locos than selling spare parts. The sale of the parts could potentially reduce interest in the new releases.

Yet Dapol and Accurascale are the complete opposite to Hornby with regard to spares.

Looking forward to an ever growing range of steam locomotives particularly from Accurascale.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Dapol and Accurascale are the complete opposite to Hornby with regard to spares.

Do they sell anything that they think would hinder future model sales? I can't really think of a comparable example to this where they'd be selling the component behind the main upsell of a very mild retool.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Do they sell anything that they think would hinder future model sales? I can't really think of a comparable example to this where they'd be selling the component behind the main upsell of a very mild retool.

All I'm saying is spares are or will be available from the two relatively new manufacturers mentioned for current and new releases. For whatever reason, spares from Hornby are like hens teeth !

Edited by Black 5 Bear

10 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

spares from Hornby are like hens teeth !

Ah sorry, in that respect I agree. My point was more aimed at they won't be wanting to sell what is effectively a conversion kit to update older models to current spec. They'll want to sell current spec models.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hornby will  have to be very careful if they fail to provide spares back up, hardly any parts for quite a while. It is also noticeable how reluctant they have become in answering emails or provide service to their customers .

They are rather naieve to think that people will happily pay £200 plus for a model (they can dream on as far as I am concerned) ,and then expect the customer just throw it away as soon as soon as  something fails or falls off. 

They can try that option at their peril, once a business loses trust , it is very hard to win it back.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micklner said:

Hornby will  have to be very careful if they fail to provide spares back up, hardly any parts for quite a while. It is also noticeable how reluctant they have become in answering emails or provide service to their customers .

They are rather naieve to think that people will happily pay £200 plus for a model (they can dream on as far as I am concerned) ,and then expect the customer just throw it away as soon as soon as  something fails or falls off. 

They can try that option at their peril, once a business loses trust , it is very hard to win it back.

Hornby naive?

I'd have thought that to be a more accurate description of those who bought A3s with wonky plastic running plates and didn't send them back.

Admittedly, no A3 (however good) will ever figure any shopping list of mine, but I wouldn't have put up with even a quarter of the distortion evident in the pictures posted on here at the time. Neither would I have jeopardised my right to a refund by trying to fix it. :huh:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4

37 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Neither would I have jeopardised my right to a refund by trying to fix it.

And a running plate isn't the sort of thing you'd expect to break or fall off in normal operation either, especially now it is metal i.e. in this particular instance why should they keep spares?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

And a running plate isn't the sort of thing you'd expect to break or fall off in normal operation either, especially now it is metal i.e. in this particular instance why should they keep spares?

Because its supplying a service to its customers.

Accidents can happen to anything , and Mazak rot as well in this case !!

43 minutes ago, micklner said:

Because its supplying a service to its customers.

Accidents can happen to anything , and Mazak rot as well in this case !!

On the same token then should the manufacturers keep making bodies for things in case someone drops it on the floor? I don't think anyone does that other than maybe a few extras made on the initial run.

It sounds like some of the thoughts here are they should be able to supply any part of any loco from any time which is ridiculous IM O. I aren't saying there shouldn't be spare parts, and it should be better than it is but having running plates/bodies etc sat on the shelf in case someone drops it is beyond reasonable IMO.

I know about the mazak rot. Most of the stuff involved there were fundamental parts of the loco that if broken or destroyed would be pretty much death for the loco in question anyway unless there was and issue such as mazak rot. Now let's say they did think it sensible to make twice as many chassis/whatever for every single run they did, just in case there was an issue, what would that do given in most cases nobody would ever need them? I'd guess at the below:

1. Increase costs of the models to begin with to account for the stocking.

2. Slow down production as the factory is having to make more stuff.

3. In the case of mazak rot, how helpful would it actually have been anyway? The parts would probably have been affected and be rendered useless too!

4. In the case of bodies or running plates, they would get bought up to put on other chassis to save forking out for a new loco anyway which would undermine the point of them being there, unless they did an exchange service. When Dapol/DCC supplies has some TPE 68 shells on the spare parts site, they sold out more or less instantly and my bet is none of them went to repair damaged locos.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

On the same token then should the manufacturers keep making bodies for things in case someone drops it on the floor? I don't think anyone does that other than maybe a few extras made on the initial run.

It sounds like some of the thoughts here are they should be able to supply any part of any loco from any time which is ridiculous IM O. I aren't saying there shouldn't be spare parts, and it should be better than it is but having running plates/bodies etc sat on the shelf in case someone drops it is beyond reasonable IMO.

I know about the mazak rot. Most of the stuff involved there were fundamental parts of the loco that if broken or destroyed would be pretty much death for the loco in question anyway unless there was and issue such as mazak rot. Now let's say they did think it sensible to make twice as many chassis/whatever for every single run they did, just in case there was an issue, what would that do given in most cases nobody would ever need them? I'd guess at the below:

1. Increase costs of the models to begin with to account for the stocking.

2. Slow down production as the factory is having to make more stuff.

3. In the case of mazak rot, how helpful would it actually have been anyway? The parts would probably have been affected and be rendered useless too!

4. In the case of bodies or running plates, they would get bought up to put on other chassis to save forking out for a new loco anyway which would undermine the point of them being there, unless they did an exchange service. When Dapol/DCC supplies has some TPE 68 shells on the spare parts site, they sold out more or less instantly and my bet is none of them went to repair damaged locos.

Point 1 . If all are made at the same time costs are minimal compared to the cost of a new run

Point 2 . Neglible

Point 3 . Mazak rot occurs on badly made batches, it does'nt mean all Mazak rots.

Point 4 . They sold out therefore they made money , therefore the demand is always there for spares, on virtually anything mass made.

6 hours ago, micklner said:

Point 1 . If all are made at the same time costs are minimal compared to the cost of a new run

How so? They are making components which is still costing time and money. Yes the labour cost on a loco is significant but the spare parts still need dealing with.

Point 2 . Neglible

As above, I doubt that. Bear in mind they can't even seem to make the production models on time at the moment (for various reasons already discussed all over RMWeb) so they don't need any more hold ups.

Point 3 . Mazak rot occurs on badly made batches, it does'nt mean all Mazak rots.

Yes but if they are made in the same batch, which would make sense if making them at the same time as the originals? I.e. plenty of the spare parts would likely be affected too.

Point 4 . They sold out therefore they made money , therefore the demand is always there for spares, on virtually anything mass made.

Yes but not likely for the reason you seem to be wanting them to make spares, i.e. I can't buy one now and therefore they aren't spare and are probably sat on locos that didn't have that livery when first made. The extra bodies will have been to cover any warranty QC issues (I did need to get one replaced for example) and then sold off once everyone was happy with their locos. They'll have made money, but I'm sure they'd have rather sold more locos (which in this case they could if the people scrabbling around for them on release had pre ordered, as that particular batch was made to order)

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

How so? They are making components which is still costing time and money. Yes the labour cost on a loco is significant but the spare parts still need dealing with.

As above, I doubt that. Bear in mind they can't even seem to make the production models on time at the moment (for various reasons already discussed all over RMWeb) so they don't need any more hold ups.

Yes but if they are made in the same batch, which would make sense if making them at the same time as the originals? I.e. plenty of the spare parts would likely be affected too.

Yes but not likely for the reason you seem to be wanting them to make spares, i.e. I can't buy one now and therefore they aren't spare and are probably sat on locos that didn't have that livery when first made. The extra bodies will have been to cover any warranty QC issues (I did need to get one replaced for example) and then sold off once everyone was happy with their locos. They'll have made money, but I'm sure they'd have rather sold more locos (which in this case they could if the people scrabbling around for them on release had pre ordered, as that particular batch was made to order)

i agree with this.
you cannot compare Hornby to smaller/new loco manufacturers. Hornby have a huge product range. Hornby cannot make all the parts for all their loco's, just not practical. Lets ask the same question in 5 years time in regards "other" manufactures, i could be wrong and they have a warehouse full of spare parts for all their dozens and dozens of loco's but i doubt it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i agree with this.
you cannot compare Hornby to smaller/new loco manufacturers. Hornby have a huge product range. Hornby cannot make all the parts for all their loco's, just not practical. Lets ask the same question in 5 years time in regards "other" manufactures, i could be wrong and they have a warehouse full of spare parts for all their dozens and dozens of loco's but i doubt it. 

Roco-Fleischmann have a big range and have a warehouse full of spares. Most parts are available gong back years and can be ordered on their website. I've got a DB103 made by Fleischmann in 1977 and some parts are still available! Roco motors are made in-house.

Marklin-Trix are a mixed bag with some early coreless motor designs not available. The traditional horse shoe motors have full parts availability going back decades but some recent can motors do not. The exploded pdf parts diagrams are removed from the site at around the 20 year mark.

Edited by maico
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1