The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Watto1990 said:

So I see the 2022 range is launched on or before January 10th. Is it too early to start frothing? 

Probably. Rather than new models, I’d like to see Hornby paying more attention to QC. I doubt that it will be mentioned because to do so would admit shortcomings in the past. What I would very much like to see would be an announcement that Hornby has decided to settle on 21-pin or other decoders with more functions than the 8-pin and to sort out the wiring to take advantage of the decoder’s extra functions. That would be for diesel and electrics; for now, 8-pin serves for steam.

However, if Bachmann has an extra £1m sloshing about, and bearing in mind the functions added to the 47, might those ingenious folks crack the problem of headcode lights which come on only when a lamp is placed on the lamp iron?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

i miss the technical drawings and such, its more of a sales brochure now unfortunately, those FGW coaches look very light (of course could be my monitor), i remember when i had full rakes they looked much deeper in terms of colour depth. Fingers crossed they are right about the W1 for Christmas!

10 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

i miss the technical drawings and such, its more of a sales brochure now unfortunately, those FGW coaches look very light (of course could be my monitor), i remember when i had full rakes they looked much deeper in terms of colour depth. Fingers crossed they are right about the W1 for Christmas!

It may well be a case of being photographed in bright light with a white background that's made them look fairly bright in this. But, I commend Hornby for bringing back the pre-production samples with these and it's nice to see a mention and photo of their accompanying Power Cars too. What is also nice to see, and does go to show that Simon and Hornby do listen, is 40204 having the correct Coach F lettering too (though it is still incorrectly labelled as coach K) - Coach F Being prototypical for a pre 2015 FGW Rake with 2.5 First Class, K for a later 2015 - 2019 rake with 1.5 First Class. 

• RMweb Premium

I thought this months engine shed was a bit light in content….. but to be honest it seems to be going that way, almost as if it’s not worth bothering with. Which would be a shame.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2021 at 14:32, jonnyuk said:

5053AEA0-A601-4BC1-BE38-3A78BE00493C.jpeg.2732951f4a4454604064488c6ff50c4a.jpeg

feels like it should be a little less purple, more dark and a bit less matt, to my eyes.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Well it's the last Friday of November and no  edition this month? Did I miss something? 

It's either "leaves on the line" or the marketing team are more concerned with setting up the Hornby Advent Calendar.

It'll probably turn up sooner or later.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2021 at 15:20, RyanN91 said:

Well it's the last Friday of November and no  edition this month? Did I miss something? 

The schedule of last Friday / 26th monthly have been missed for ages…. It’s “by the end of the month” now!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

New TES is live now, deadline was missed due to illness. 

Focuses mainly on the revised A1/A3 tooling with diecast running plate and firebox glow.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/diecast-developments-footplates-and-fire

Focusses only you mean 

Really glad to see the progress on these models . They look very good. But what's with Hornbys BR livery these days the lining On 60103 looks very yellow. I appreciate its a preproduction model and there vagaries of lighting. But having seen some of the latest in the flesh they look s little odd.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, davidw said:

Really glad to see the progress on these models . They look very good. But what's with Hornbys BR livery these days the lining On 60103 looks very yellow. I appreciate its a preproduction model and there vagaries of lighting. But having seen some of the latest in the flesh they look s little odd.

I think the BR green looks a sight better than current offerings from Hornby. But as we know,what eventually what comes out of the box may be entirely different 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Omitting superfluous text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, davidw said:

My impression of recent Hornby models is that the lining looks much too red against the dull green.  The profile view of 60103 looks much more like what I see in photos of professionally painted models.  I can't say how well either reflects he prototype, I know which I prefer :)

I'm very disappointed that Hornby have decided not to address the deficiencies in the valve gear with this upgrade.  That toylike stamped motion bracket doesn't belong on a model of this calibre and it's a shame they couldn't incorporate it into the new running plate casting and design a better expansion link while they were at it.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hornbys Facebook page posted a link to the last Engine Shed for the year. The link doesn’t work as the latest blog shown is the November edition. However, they do say that this one includes a running sample of the 9F, and shows off its die cast body and flickering firebox. Was this originally announced to have die cast and firebox flicker? I may have missed it but I don’t recall that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hornbys Facebook page posted a link to the last Engine Shed for the year. The link doesn’t work as the latest blog shown is the November edition. However, they do say that this one includes a running sample of the 9F, and shows off its die cast body and flickering firebox. Was this originally announced to have die cast and firebox flicker? I may have missed it but I don’t recall that. 

I don't recall them being listed as features when they were announced!

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It'll be a matter of pride to Hornby for their new 9F to exceed what the established Bachmann model can do.

My most-run-in example of those has started 40+ wagons on a 1-in-50 gradient, and that with a plastic body....

I suspect the diecast body was therefore unavoidable.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Looks like the link got deleted cause I just checked their fb page.