The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

2 hours ago, Islesy said:

... sorry for the delay...

I think we can wait, when you are planning to hit us with all that big engine stuff. (The small locos looked good too.)

Passing thought, the impressive side on pic of the real Hush-hush with just the coupling rods. The thought that flew into my mind was how impressive the Turbomotive - which ran like that - would look. Go on, you know you want to...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the elephant in the room...

spacer.png

Although Judith Edge do a kit so not wishlisting. Just pointing it out before someone else does....

Jason

You forgot to mention the Mumbles tramcar....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Am I missing something - or is there considerably more Maxak ( = weight ) in the Ivatt than there is in the W1 ??!?

The BR Standard 2mt, not an Ivatt, is considerably smaller so the boiler is made heavier to compensate. The W1 will have more metal components on the chassis than just those shown in the images. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The Mumbles Railway/ Tram failed to make the great preservation era. It would today have been a spectacular heritage tourist attraction. I suppose it suffered from its terminus location at the business end being very much out of the way of the town centre ( Dylan  Thomas ‘. “ Lovely Ugly Town “) in the middle of nowhere in particular and a hike from High Street Station,Victoria being never much more than a ghost LNWR/LMR presence even though it was close.

Great rides and days out fondly remembered from the top deck....Swansea Bay curving to the left towards the Lifeboat Station at Mumbles Pier and St.Helens ground and the Brangwyn Hall to the right.

And always the stop at Forte’s Ice Cream Pavilion at Oystermouth for scoops of ice cream with raspberry sauce.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, davidw said:

I've been putting it off but I can't wait for the A2/2 and A2/3. Now duly ordered.

They all look stunning I couldn't decide which two I wanted so in the end I pre-ordered R3831 and R3833. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think people are getting confused as it's neither.

It's a BR Riddles 2MT 2-6-0.

Jason

So you're saying they weren't called BR standard 2MTs? That seems to be the most popular name for them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Call it a Standard 2MT.....everyone did.The name Riddles was rarely heard.

This as opposed to the Ivatt designed variety which outnumbered it and was known sometimes as a “Mickey Mouse “.

That's what I thought. Riddles designed most if not all the standard classes but I haven't heard him in the name of the class before.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

That's what I thought. Riddles designed most if not all the standard classes but I haven't heard him in the name of the class before.

And that applies to all BR Standard classes. RA Riddles being in a way their unsung hero.  Checking my Ian Allan 1955 ABC shows credits for the WD but otherwise for the Standards the credits go to whichever of BR’s works designed them. A”Standard “ was just that and a prestigious “cop” for a young trainspotter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

RA Riddles being in a way their unsung hero.  

To some he is a hero, to others his standards were seen as an expensive vanity project, that delayed main line electrification.

You choose your corner.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TomScrut said:

So you're saying they weren't called BR standard 2MTs? That seems to be the most popular name for them!

No. Two people have described them as an Ivatt and another as a Standard Four*.

I used Riddles to differentiate then from the Ivatt which has been mentioned above. 

Riddles is a common and proper term to describe them. There are even books titled Riddles Locomotives....

https://rail-books.co.uk/products/looking-back-at-riddles-and-ivatt-locomotives-9781905276264

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/products/isbn/9780711007956?cm_sp=bdp-_-9780711007956-_-isbn10

*Since changed.

Besides what's a Standard Four? The Midland called their ones Standard Fours as well. More commonly called a 4F.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

Well the next Engine Shed is due on September 11, then the rest ,October 9, November 6 and December 4. I quite like the delays in them by a week, it adds to the speculation of what the next months will be about.

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 12:10, Islesy said:

And there go my nursing home fees for a while. This issue is best described as the cream of the crop. 60700 and 60501 are well remembered old friends on the buffers at KX.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4