The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

Having announced in the last edition that the next would be on September 18, you might think Hornby would have the wit and/or courtesy to explain its non-appearance.  Sadly, PR skills and the model railway industry are not - with a few notable exceptions - a match made in heaven. 

Edited by Downer

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Apparently it’s going to appear next Friday. 

In the meantime, Hornby had posted a new signal box episode on Facebook and replied to my comment about what happened to the Engine Shed.

Just watched that video and I'm thinking the person running the locos [Peckett, Terrier and Pug] on their layout had probably been on the Scalextric before hand, judging by the speed they were running at.:o Whatever happened to slow running locos.:rolleyes:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Apparently it’s going to appear next Friday. 

In the meantime, Hornby had posted a new signal box episode on Facebook and replied to my comment about what happened to the Engine Shed.

Thanks Neal! I was waiting for Septembers E S aswell! With Augusts delay and now this months it will appear that from the January 2020 ES updates these dates will now be revised three weeks ahead?  September 11, then 18 now 25 September,  October 9, now October 23, November 6 now November 20, and December 4. Now December 18? 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Just watched that video and I'm thinking the person running the locos [Peckett, Terrier and Pug] on their layout had probably been on the Scalextric before hand, judging by the speed they were running at.:o Whatever happened to slow running locos.:rolleyes:

Its Signal Box, the entertainment thread.  Fast is good!

What grates is the entire espousal of the concept of "Loco unboxing!"

Just watched the ES video. After the first unboxing/mad mouse Peckett dash, the two Childrens TV presenters drove me off.  I appreciate that that is the target demographic for ES, but its not very enjoyable/interesting for those outside the demographic. Marketeers take note!

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 5

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Is that what the kids call it nowadays?  :prankster:

TBF I realised when they first appeared that the videos weren't for me.

The Airfix equivalent to ES is usually good. Maybe I like it because it's aimed more at modellers and has a lot more on the history of the prototypes.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/sabre-parts-first-look-exclusive

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

The last Friday of every month is better I reckon instead of every four weeks as that date moves between end to mid to early of the forthcoming months and understandly leads to delays not that I'm complaining! maybe they are delayed as approved samples etc arrived later than expected not Hornby's fault.

Decembers will be interesting as the last Friday of the month is Christmas Day so one can assume this will obviously be earlier as December's usually is anyway.

Paul will be missed and I wish him all the best for the future. But I look forward to the next era of Engine Shed having been around for over half a decade. It'll be interesting to see how this next era of ES will be written.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hornby just posted on Facebook engine sheds will be released on the last Friday of every month from now on. New one tomorrow

So one edition per annum fewer than when it was posted every four weeks.

1 hour ago, RyanN91 said:

The last Friday of every month is better I reckon instead of every four weeks as that date moves between end to mid to early of the forthcoming months and understandly leads to delays not that I'm complaining! maybe they are delayed as approved samples etc arrived later than expected not Hornby's fault.

Paul will be missed and I wish him all the best for the future. But I look forward to the next era of Engine Shed having been around for over half a decade. It'll be interesting to see how this next era of ES will be written.

Having been paid 4 weekly for my whole working life and still being paid my main pension every four weeks I can assure that it is a far better system than monthly payment because it is absolutely consistent.  It took about 4 weeks to get used to it ;) when I moved from weekly pay to four weekly. (in 1966)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, truffy said:

Since moving to Switzerland, I’ve had to get used to being paid 13 times a year. Once every month, and two payments in December. I have no idea why that is. 

You're not an 'overseas' agent for SNCF are you?  They are paid twice in December, that's why they usually go on strike in November.

• Funny 2

43 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

You're not an 'overseas' agent for SNCF are you?  They are paid twice in December, that's why they usually go on strike in November.

When I worked for TFL I was paid every 4 weeks. As a result if the first payment of a year was in early January there was a 14th payment in late December.