The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

As an Aussie modeller it’s good to see ARM has commissioned a run of the ex Lima 72ft cars through Hornby. 

And that C38 looks mighty fine too! Not that I model Australian . . . yet 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The W1 to my eyes is on course to become one of the best steam image  RTR OO gauge models to date

Yes, it's funny how they can pull out all the stops with quality when it's an Eastern engine.:huh:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good to see the Mk 1 Restaurant Buffet cars coming along.

The vehicles Hornby have modelled are later builds with separate Beclawat windows,

the sliding lights of which should represent unpainted aluminium. Certainly the batch

delivered to the Southern were like this.

It is likely that by the time Blue & Grey came along the sliders would have been painted over.

P1400123.JPG

P1400126.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Yes, it's funny how they can pull out all the stops with quality when it's an Eastern engine.:huh:

Didn’t think of it in that way....but yes I take your point.Worthy models Hornby’s GW releases in many ways but IMHO no game changers comparatively speaking..As I’m sure our resident “spokesperson “ Stationmaster Mike might agree.

Now what would tempt me to review my position would be a 5 * revamp of their Hawksworth County. Oops,there I go again.....way off topic.

Very sorry,Sir Nige....a disloyal Gresley country resident.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What a fantastic read! the LNER W1 Hush Hush final approved samples look beautiful! 

The final samples of the BR MK1 RB carriages they all look very nice my favourites are the IC Executive coach and BR Blue Grey coach. 

Wow the next stages of engineering samples of BR Class 370 APT-P nice to see the tooling is correct for the vents! Same applies to the next sample of the BR Class 91.

The  LMS Coronation Scot coaches look very nice! 

A nice surprise at the start and end with a beautiful Australian steam locomotive 

ARM 3806 C38 Class 4-6-2 ‘Pacific’ Express Passenger Locomotive – Non-streamlined. Being mainly  interested in British railways from all eras across England, Wales and Scotland  incuding (narrow gauge railways UK and British Crown Dependencies Isle of Man in particular! Stunning narrow gauge Railway! ) I don't normally get too overly excited or enthusiastic about international railways rolling stock but I have to say it.. she is a very beautiful looking  steam  locomotive! After British and Irish, I would say I would have to choose the Commonwealth nations railways and rolling stock etc and this one is a fine example!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

That W1 looks exquisite. Definitely a strong contender for best OO Gauge steamer! 

Are any or all of these pre-sold-out?   To me the grey versions are the most impressive and I'm interested in buying a version which actually ran.

I had better do some homework! :)

10 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Are any or all of these pre-sold-out?   To me the grey versions are the most impressive and I'm interested in buying a version which actually ran.

Hatton's have sold out of the original in battleship grey( That's the one I bought,)  (most sought after by the looks of it). The grey one with nameplate is still available i think from them? . I don't know why but the apple green one i don't it like for some reason haha! However if you shop around you'll bound to find the right LNER Hush Hush W1 for you! :lol:

Edited by RyanN91

2 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Hatton's have sold out of the original in battleship grey( That's the one I bought,)  (most sought after by the looks of it). The grey one with nameplate is still available i think from them? . I don't know why but the apple green one i don't it like for some reason haha! However if you shop around you'll bound to find the right LNER Hush Hush W1 for you! :lol:

Thanks, as I understand it the grey single-chimney version did some London-Edinburgh express work in 1930.

Here are Hornby's lovely images...

10000_hush_Image1_r1800.jpg.0c2ffd9f9b5d32b87d7c3d64807a63b3.jpg

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

Hattons have all versions listed as sold out on pre-order. May be some still available out there somewhere. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, robmcg said:

Thanks, as I understand it the grey single-chimney version did some London-Edinburgh express work in 1930.

Here are Hornby's lovely images...

10000_hush_Image1_r1800.jpg.0c2ffd9f9b5d32b87d7c3d64807a63b3.jpg

Yes, including the "Flying Scotsman" with headboard on one occasion and also on the "Queen of Scots" when based at Gateshead.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

They do look quite good don't they?  !!

I've got the original on order, plus the final rebuilt one - A4-look BR.

British Enterprise looks pretty amazing as well - with double chimney - less appropriate, but more fitting.

Al.

I never noticed the Double chimney before on the Enterprise version. Sadly it never ran with a Double chimney, without a extra cowling fitted on the top of the body ,even then it was only on  trials for a few weeks before the rebuild to the  A4 outline.  Hornby would sold even more of that version , if fitted with the right bodywork and no nameplate which was never fitted. If they havent printed the nameplate onto  the body, a add on 3d printed cowling woud then be a viable option, you would just need to match the paint.

The Apple Green livery only existed on a Cigarette card , the colour does'nt suit the Loco at all.

Sold out ! a result for Hornby as they need the money !! I wonder if they worried if they would  sell ,when they were announced.

Hopefully the Thompson's are a good result as well for them as well , people have been asking for them for years. Bachmann always said they would'nt sell so refused to make them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Novel, inspiring and fun for the model designer to work on; come to the dry side, where there be monsters...

There's still more where this came from, the P1 and U1 for a start and maybe the Raven pacific will get a look in? (Personally I would prefer the smaller stuff, but it is what sells that counts.)

1 hour ago, micklner said:

...Hopefully the Thompson's are a good result as well for them as well, people have been asking for them for years. Bachmann always said they wouldn't sell so refused to make them.

Probably the right assessment. It needs Hornby on the box for the required sales volume; and while waiting for them to get around to it, Bachmann have had ten years sales of their Pepp A2s to anyone wanting to have a go at a Thompson carve up from RTR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2020 at 11:04, Gilwell Park said:

When I worked for TFL I was paid every 4 weeks. As a result if the first payment of a year was in early January there was a 14th payment in late December.

Network Rail pay their staff every 4 weeks - as does the civil service I believe.

However there are a surprisingly large number of banks which don't recognise this and only allow 'weekly' or 'monthly payment options.

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Novel, inspiring and fun for the model designer to work on; come to the dry side, where there be monsters...

There's still more where this came from, the P1 and U1 for a start and maybe the Raven pacific will get a look in? (Personally I would prefer the smaller stuff, but it is what sells that counts.)

Probably the right assessment. It needs Hornby on the box for the required sales volume; and while waiting for them to get around to it, Bachmann have had ten years sales of their Pepp A2s to anyone wanting to have a go at a Thompson carve up from RTR.

And the one everybody overlooks...the B16

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding response
  • Like 1

You're not an 'overseas' agent for SNCF are you?  They are paid twice in December, that's why they usually go on strike in November.

Most workers in France get double pay in December; its not a Christmas bonus, its because their annual income tax payment is due in January.  I can't be sure about other European countries, but the PAYE system is not at all common outside the UK.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Pendennis said:

You're not an 'overseas' agent for SNCF are you?  They are paid twice in December, that's why they usually go on strike in November.

Most workers in France get double pay in December; its not a Christmas bonus, its because their annual income tax payment is due in January.  I can't be sure about other European countries, but the PAYE system is not at all common outside the UK.

I was led to believe that that is the reason why we get 13 instalments of annual salary in Switzerland. Although why people can't just put a monthly sum into a spare tax account, like I do, is anyone's guess. Legacy from a time when that wasn't so easy, I guess.

• Like 1