The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

1 hour ago, Legend said:

ahh but has your utilities and food  bills gone up because  you are at home all the time? 

Less than the spend on commuting and buying from a sandwich shop

22 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Food bills have probably gone down. Eating whilst at work - snacks and takeaways; Eating whilst at home - from the (weekly) shop bill. I know which is cheaper. Just think of the difference in price of a cup of coffee!

A typical trip to Kent:

Local station: Costa Coffee  + bacon bap

Manc Picc: Starbucks/Costa or Caffe Nero

Euston: Pret-a-manger sandwich & coffee

Victoria: Costa or Caffe Nero Coffee

None of that claimable on expenses as it's not an evening meal and you would normally source your own lunch at your home office.

Now I just drink tea brewed at home, and my lunches come from Aldi, Sainsburys in the form of make it from scratch or something cheap and cheerful.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quite impressed by this month’s issue of the Engine Shed. Lots of detail on new product development including several products that are further along in their development than I’d have expected e.g. the Rustons. 

It does make you wonder how the team decide what’s going to make it into the range and what isn’t? 

I think plenty of us expected a Bugatti front P2 but not ‘full fat’ versions of the different variants. 

• Agree 3

On 28/01/2021 at 21:38, MrTea said:

several products that are further along in their development than I’d have expected e.g. the Rustons. 

The Ruston will have been in development for some time as it's catalogue numbers immediately follow on from those of last year's announced Class 91 while the P2 and 9Fs are around 90 higher.

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good edition 

Like the mk4s, but the surprise is the Luggage Van . In the announcements I wasn't at all interested . I always find talk of Winston Churchills funeral train a bit morbid and would certainly never model it . However the crimson one looks rather nice . 

Fascinating variations  on 9F tenders too 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Good edition 

Like the mk4s, but the surprise is the Luggage Van . In the announcements I wasn't at all interested . I always find talk of Winston Churchills funeral train a bit morbid and would certainly never model it . However the crimson one looks rather nice . 

Fascinating variations  on 9F tenders too 

No longer then a refugee from Triang days  ? They do look the part.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

No longer then a refugee from Triang days  ? They do look the part.

Oh I've still got a Tri-ang one . Not bad in its day , but totally outclassed by these.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

The luggage vans look great, esp the Churchill one. 9F looking fantastic too. 

The old one was very much the weak link in the Churchill Funeral train pack, and I'd think many who own one will want one of these to improve it.

Not for me, but I've ordered the others. The SR one will be rebranded as BR and weathered within an inch of its life, but the crimson version treated more gently.

I fancy another Peckett, too, but can't decide which I like best, Henry or The Earl.

I'm hanging fire on the 9Fs until I see the finished articles. I have three of the Bachmann models (including 92220) with which I am very satisfied, and Hornby's will have to be very special indeed to make me consider replacing any of them.

Couldn't see any mention of the MN I'm waiting for, Ellerman Lines.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

The old one was very much the weak link in the Churchill Funeral train pack, and I'd think many who own one will want one of these to improve it.

Not for me, but I've ordered the others. The SR one will be rebranded as BR and weathered within an inch of its life, but the crimson version treated more gently.

I fancy another Peckett, too, but can't decide which I like best, Henry or The Earl.

I'm hanging fire on the 9Fs until I see the finished articles. I have three of the Bachmann models (including 92220) with which I am very satisfied, and Hornby's will have to be very special indeed to make me consider replacing any of them.

Couldn't see any mention of the MN I'm waiting for, Ellerman Lines.

John 

Couldn't see any mention of the MN I'm waiting for, Ellerman Lines.

John,

If you look in latest arrivals at the end of the blog, there is reference to M/N Belgian Marine. This is a newly announced 2021 release scheduled for August which is now arriving at the end of March.

According to the Hornby website, Ellerman Lines is due April this year.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Couldn't see any mention of the MN I'm waiting for, Ellerman Lines.

John,

If you look in latest arrivals at the end of the blog, there is reference to M/N Belgian Marine. This is a newly announced 2021 release scheduled for August which is now arriving at the end of March.

According to the Hornby website, Ellerman Lines is due April this year.

So a 2021 model is leapfrogging the delayed 2020  releases.

Might that suggest a change of factory?

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

So a 2021 model is leapfrogging the delayed 2020  releases.

Might that suggest a change of factory?

John

Then I hope it’s not the factory that has just given us the A2/2 .IMHO the airsmoothed MN is one of the best H have produced in recent years .It would be a shame if it were to be emasculated now.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Then I hope it’s not the factory that has just given us the A2/2 .IMHO the airsmoothed MN is one of the best H have produced in recent years .It would be a shame if it were to be emasculated now.

It wouldn't be easy to fit the cab wonky on a MN though....:jester:

• Funny 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wow that APT looks stunning . I had decided not , as it’s seven coaches that will be tricky to accommodate . But now  I’m nor]tvso sure . Suspect it’s sold out though 

• Agree 1

Liked the renders of the 9F, the 3D print was typically underwhelming, though I can appreciate that they want to show it to show that progress is being made.

The APT and the detail for the Midland Pullman were also interesting.

All good Engine Shed stuff, as was the reminder that the new DC control system was finally inching towards actual release.  However, New Arrivals and the Play Train system should surely belong with the web site or as Signal Box content?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Liked the renders of the 9F, the 3D print was typically underwhelming, though I can appreciate that they want to show it to show that progress is being made.

The APT and the detail for the Midland Pullman were also interesting.

All good Engine Shed stuff, as was the reminder that the new DC control system was finally inching towards actual release.  However, New Arrivals and the Play Train system should surely belong with the web site or as Signal Box content?

The 3D print serves one purpose, to check the fit of the model and see how well the main parts go together. 3D prints never contain finer details. So I am not entirely sure what you're underwhelmed by? All the 3D printed samples that Hornby have provided all these years have never had extra detail and they've always told us it's just to see how well the parts fit.

Maybe these were added as both updates for those who don't really bother about YouTube and to add content to make the blog lengthier. The website is still a mess with incorrect links to products etc.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 3

33 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The 3D print serves one purpose, to check the fit of the model and see how well the main parts go together. 3D prints never contain finer details. 

Which they do actually say in the blog!

2 hours ago, Legend said:

it’s seven coaches that will be tricky to accommodate

Aren't they doing a 5 car one too?

• Agree 1