The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

3 hours ago, robmcg said:

I think Hornby may be reaching new heights with this one... state-of-the-art RTR manufacturing?

9F_hornby_Image1_1ab_r1784.jpg.59517568c28263c2ada06e3db0aac183.jpg

It’s an ambitious CAD, and if it looks anything like it, it’l be breathtaking, I mean it better be if they seriously expect £210 for it. But... I am recalling the A2s. I had high hopes for them as well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

It looks very impressive so far, but Hornby have a tough act to follow, despite the age of the incumbent.

I've always considered Bachmann's 9F (I have three) to represent a pretty ideal balance between detail and usability.

Hornby are clearly striving to outdo that model, but I hope they don't end up with something largely admired from six inches away wearing reading glasses, because most owners are scared of knocking bits off it.

On this showing, Hornby are very close to achieving levels of detail at which, if we also want to be able to use the model with any confidence, many more of the "fiddly bits" will need to be made from metal rather than plastic. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Very excited to see progress on the apt, if we are livery sample stage now I do think that July quoted on the hattons website may be a little ambitious but that’s fine would rather have it right than rushed.

mark

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Ok, I give up. Why does 35011 have 35016 as the smokebox numberplate? 

Suggestions on a postcard, please, to QC, Hornby. 

It's odd as the original sample had the correct number on the smokebox. Probably a factory cockup. Hopefully they are now aware... 

• Agree 1

I thought Hornby already did them. But they might be variants with the different windows or even the slightly earlier Gresley steel sided stock.

1948 for the square cornered window ones and the radiused window version were built from 1950. I think the 1948 ones appeared in mock teak.

Interesting thing about them was a pair went to the Western Region for working on the Hemyock Branch to replace some gas lit ex Barry Railway coaches.

But they would have got almost anywhere. Quite a few ended up on the LMR and ScR as they were replaced pretty early by multiple units, but lasted until the late 1960s.

Problem for me is I've already got Comet ones, bought a few years ago as I thought they would be good as a short three coach train. Normally a couple of these with a CL in the middle and Thirds as strengtheners. Or as a pair with a Brake Composite.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, scots region said:

Shouldn’t there have been an entry today.

Maybe they’ve given each month a tier system to decide if engine shed is uploaded or not. 

• Funny 6

6 hours ago, scots region said:

Shouldn’t there have been an entry today.

There was supposed to be a new edition of TES (last Friday of the month). Maybe May was a slow month and they didn't have as many updates as they'd like to have had to fill up a whole blog. Based on past experiences, the community can get quite vocal about a blog with less content.

Or like in a few instances in the past, they probably has some "technical difficulties".

There was a video update on YouTube showcasing their Hornby Railroad Class 37 and Class 121 in Network Rail livery and a few wagons and Skaledale buildings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are odd pictures of P2s at KX:

2004-2.jpg

It seems they occasionally got there but were usually just in Scotland

Maybe a trip to the Cross and back from Doncaster after a works visit?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3