The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

What have the NYMR & NNR got in common - they've both got a WD 2-10-0... now that's food for thought.

The NNR's example is currently dismantled though, unlike for example their B12, quad-art, and Wisbech & Upwell tram coach. 

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have been accused of not having good communications, but this Engine shed blog is brilliant. They drop a few hints and the frothing starts :jester:  It reminds me of the good old days of Alan Greenspan at the federal reserve, when market analysts wet themselves if he coughed in the middle of a sentence trying to work out what I meant. I think the boys at Hornby love teasing, tempting, and provoking. I know I would!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby could probably design, manufacture and sell enough 94xx to make a profit before Bachmann even start work on theirs. Maybe one will be on the shelves early next year, after being announced in December, as was the 2-Bil.

In principle I agree, except that in this case if Paul joined Hornby only last summer, there has not been time to complete the research and development work and have a 94XX model almost ready for production.

• 2 weeks later...

New Engine Shed blog up!

Decorated J50s, LNER, Early Totem and Late Totem BR - the LNER example is very pretty!

And the "final signed sample" of the S15, with delivery "very soon now".....  Looks good too!

There's a movie of the S15 running on the new Hornby layout.  I'm just a bit worried about that as it appears to be running wrong line AND seems to have divided its train...

• Like 2

Personally speaking this latest Engine Shed entry summarises what, for me, is wrong with Hornby at the present time. The product designers create first-class products and then it's left to someone who does not understand enough or care enough about the marketing aspects about how something should be photographed or filmed to present it in a credible form. I translate that it into an interpretation of what they think their market is; it may well be, but not for these products.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

New Engine Shed blog up!

Decorated J50s, LNER, Early Totem and Late Totem BR - the LNER example is very pretty!

And the "final signed sample" of the S15, with delivery "very soon now".....  Looks good too!

There's a movie of the S15 running on the new Hornby layout.  I'm just a bit worried about that as it appears to be running wrong line AND seems to have divided its train...

And the level crossing gates are upside down.....  :O

• RMweb Gold

Personally speaking this latest Engine Shed entry summarises what, for me, is wrong with Hornby at the present time. The product designers create first-class products and then it's left to someone who does not understand enough or care enough about the marketing aspects about how something should be photographed or filmed to present it in a credible form. I translate that it into an interpretation of what they think their market is; it may well be, but not for these products.

Agree that neither model is presented as well as you and other's in the modelling press showcase new products. Makes their decision not to share review samples even stranger.The good news is both of these and the King look to be very fine models indeed.

• RMweb Premium

Nevertheless it's good to see the new locos, which look very fine.  Having fun playing spot the difference on the J50s, and looking forward to being able to buy (at least) one.

And the level crossing gates are upside down.....  :O

I know, but I'm trying to make only one critical observation per post!

There's so much to note on the "new layout" that its like shooting fish in a barrel.....

Listening to the music I was half expecting Shaun the Sheep to make a guest appearance in a lineside field. It was difficult to imagine this as a serious model with such a chirpy tune in the background.

Presentation points aside though, it is good to see Hornby communicating with its customers. 

• RMweb Premium

Given that the purposes of the Engine Shed are I think to give customers an insight into the development process, improve comms with their customers and give teasers of upcoming models I think it does the job admirably.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually I rather like the fact that this blog seems to be made by people who know more about making trains than making films, If they were super professional marketing guys then they would be accessed of being exactly that. 

I suppose it might be felt that to show such models as the J50 and S15 in a more authentic context would need too much Bachmann product from a marketing point of view  :nono: .

RP

The blog is without doubt an experiment.

The end of last year saw a Hornby being accused of acting like a heartless corporate giant out of contact with its end customers. They also found holding on to info lead to 3 locos being duplicated. (4 if we include the 94xx).

This blog comes out every week. Do we need a blog every week? Probably not.

Now they seem to report things just after they get them on this blog. The question would magazine editors rush to Hornby HQ to film and photograph the latest items on a weekly basis knowing that Hornby will have them in the blog at the end of the week (or the following week)?

Would we be reasonable expecting Hornby to keep things secret until Magazines could get down and get their photos published? How can waiting for a few months to allow magazines in for a day, help avoid the possibility of another manufacture announcing the same prototype just before it happens?

There are so many manufacturers now that the risk of duplication is great and this has them worried.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it might be felt that to show such models as the J50 and S15 in a more authentic context would need too much Bachmann product from a marketing point of view  :nono: .

RP

That would apply to almost any BR steam era freight loco!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The class 71 isn't as advanced as that yet.

Don't think that could be a reason. They've taken pictures of model before which were at earlier EP stages (Adams Radial, King, S15, J50, Hall etc.) and they said they would for the Class 71. So I asked. In fact when they've taken pics before those models usually weren't even at the stage where the Class 71 is.

• RMweb Premium

Don't think that could be a reason. They've taken pictures of model before which were at earlier EP stages (Adams Radial, King, S15, J50, Hall etc.) and they said they would for the Class 71. So I asked. In fact when they've taken pics before those models usually weren't even at the stage where the Class 71 is.

Sorry I thought you meant fully liveried samples.