The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

That blue MN is a repaint. The photo is one of Hornby Magazine's from their article on Marlow, Maidenhead and District MRC's rather good 'Southwick', the relevance being that it'll be at GETS at Milton Keynes in a fortnight. I'm not clued up on steam era road vehicles, but the club's website indicates that the layout is set in the 1960s so the loco is the interloper (and that's fine by me; nice as it is when a train matches its surroundings in both region and period, it's ultimately for a club's members to have the say on whether to bend time on their own layouts).

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that they've gone with a van with COND X on it as that firmly dates it to the late 1960s and early 1970s when steam had already been eliminated from the majority of the country.

I don't think I've seen a photograph of a wagon with that on pre 1965.

I know what you mean but I think Hornby are stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place with this one. Do a specific livery and risk alienating a proportion of the market for whom that livery is inappropriate or do a generic livery and risk alienating everyone. The so called 'transition' era is one of the largest market segments and within that many of us bend the rules a little to incorporate things we fancy that strictly speaking don't fit. A weathered van with a condemned marking can reasonably be left at the end of a siding somewhere out of the way awaiting its final journey (and chirping away until it goes!). I should imagine the chip will be available seperatley at some stage at which point those who want to can have fun fitting a speaker somewhere appropriate and wiring the chip directly to the power bus.

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that they've gone with a van with COND X on it as that firmly dates it to the late 1960s and early 1970s when steam had already been eliminated from the majority of the country.

Jason

ISTR the destination labels as red:- One Trip Only. A very common sight in South Wales, where the wagon fleet was starting to be thinned out.

• 1 month later...

Sad as it may be that I still look forward to these coming out, but aren't we due an Engine Shed today?

You'd think so, seeing as the last one was 21st September.

But its like all things Hornby now.  The date of arrival of everything seems to move further into the future, rarely closer to the now. I don't see why an issue of The Engine Shed should be any different!

Jason

It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the offending lettering and give the wagon a dose of basic weathering to hide any over enthusiasm! :jester:

I just hope they're going to announce a Christmas Present for all those who have been waiting for locomotives preordered for nearly a year.  :jester:

What we might get are the livery samples for the streamlined Princess Coronations, and a readjustment of due dates for these, the Lord Nelsons and the Club SECR H class to March 2019.

I do hope to be as accurate as Old Moores Almanac on these prognostications!

(btw, Chinese New Year in 2019 is the beginning of February.  Anything that isn't on the boat by the end of January may as well be Q3 as a minimum.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The cynical side of me says it will be the launch of new look packaging for the relaunched range of 1960's and 1970's vintage range of plastic track side buildings and accessories (at eye watering prices of course!)

• Like 1

The cynical side of me says it will be the launch of new look packaging for the relaunched range of 1960's and 1970's vintage range of plastic track side buildings and accessories (at eye watering prices of course!)

Maybe they'll go for a trendy 'Retro' re-branding too ....... perhaps "Triang" ?