The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

The blog also linked to a video of Sir Francis Drake in SR Olive livery, will Hornby have coaches to match?

I suggest you search the Internet and ebay for

R4297 (5 nos), R4298 (6 nos), R4299 (5), R4300 (4), R4301 (5), R4318 (3), R4394 (2).

Then more recently there has been 4-set 243, some TOs, and odd other coaches in sets.

These coaches were first released in December 2007, and any Southern Railway pre-war modeller should have some.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suggest you search the Internet and ebay for

R4297 (5 nos), R4298 (6 nos), R4299 (5), R4300 (4), R4301 (5), R4318 (3), R4394 (2).

Then more recently there has been 4-set 243, some TOs, and odd other coaches in sets.

These coaches were first released in December 2007, and any Southern Railway pre-war modeller should have some.

Quite a few new ones available on ebay as well as pre-owned, so lots to choose from..

Rather bizarrely Hornby have recently added a Maunsell restaurant car in Olive (R4816) but in a condition that doesn't match any others!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/sr-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-7869-era-3.html

It sold out very quickly

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

The Coronation coaches of old do seem to fetch decent cash on Ebay etc, especially the blue ones.

Hornby's 3-coach pack for the Coronations now available (eg https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35941/Hornby-r4873-oo-gauge-lms-coronation-scot-3-car-coach-pack)works out at around £20 per coach, but they're in crimson not blue, so I'll be going for one of the new crimson streamliners, tempting though the blue one is!

cheers,

Keith

Surely hanging 40 year old coaches behind this beautiful new loco is akin to putting lipstick on a pig? 

This is where I get frustrated with the disparity between the breadth and depth of model loco availability, and model coaching stock availability. Look at any railway image before 1948 and it's odds-on that any coaches that appear are not available rtr. We've a got a fantastic selection of locos but not enough stock, and if you treat a model railway product range as you would any other product range, the lack of complementary products is a little odd. 

Hornby did allude to the fact that the Maunsell diner development was supposed to be something of a pilot and if it proved to be a success then they would look at drip-feeding other coach diagrams into existing coach ranges. Straight away I'd be looking at: 

- Stanier PIII Open Third

- Stanier PIII Corridor Composite

- LMS Diner of any vintage

- GWR Collett Brake Composite

- GWR Collett Diner

- LNER Corridor Composite

- LNER Brake Third

And for the love of god no more bloody Pullmans!

CoY

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep it's got me looking through my books, especially Edward Talbot's LMS Power book, to see what coaching stock combinations were being hauled by the streamliners before the war. Not a bad way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon in December.

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if blue Coronation carriages are still being made by Hornby but the old tooling still looks pretty in my eyes.

And as Islesy correctly points out the blue engines often ran with conventional LMS Stanier carriages.

Beautiful evocative engine, I can't wait! :)

The old carriages will go for gold on Ebay!

But not from my pot....for sure..Like hanging a string of butcher’s sausage behind a prime steak.These are Triang style toys.Why perpetrate these ( mis) carriages ? Come on brethren,we can and must do better than these prehistoric eyesores.

Now if Hornby are complacent enough to churn out mid 20thC tat,is there someone out there with the vision to commission a couple of sets of coaches to 21stC specs on a limited edition basis ? Opportunities for stock for the Streamliner trains of the 1930’s have been spectacularly missed already when Hornby released the Silver A4 run 3 years ago so I can’t see the red&blues taking up the challenge.

Bachmann are releasing some high end stuff but the question has to be asked : are they selling and will they sell? Not if discounting on the new Birdcage and Thompson stock is any indication.

A glimmer of hope may perhaps be discerned by the announcement that Rails are now commissioning stock to a high specification and Hattons ,Rapido ,Accurascale,Revolution Trains etc.are adding new zest and quality to the production of “something to put behind the loco,gentlemen?”.

Meanwhile,where are my bow ended Colletts and crimson Staniers ?

• Like 2

But not from my pot....for sure..Like hanging a string of butcher’s sausage behind a prime steak.These are Triang style toys.Why perpetrate these ( mis) carriages ? Come on brethren,we can and must do better than these prehistoric eyesores.

Now if Hornby are complacent enough to churn out mid 20thC tat,is there someone out there with the vision to commission a couple of sets of coaches to 21stC specs on a limited edition basis ? Opportunities for stock for the Streamliner trains of the 1930’s have been spectacularly missed already when Hornby released the Silver A4 run 3 years ago so I can’t see the red&blues taking up the challenge.

Bachmann are releasing some high end stuff but the question has to be asked : are they selling and will they sell? Not if discounting on the new Birdcage and Thompson stock is any indication.

A glimmer of hope may perhaps be discerned by the announcement that Rails are now commissioning stock to a high specification and Hattons ,Rapido ,Accurascale,Revolution Trains etc.are adding new zest and quality to the production of “something to put behind the loco,gentlemen?”.

Meanwhile,where are my bow ended Colletts and crimson Staniers ?

To be perfectly frank I don't think Hornby are in a position to tool-up and produce a train of top-spec Coronation Scot carriages, much as many in Hornby would like to.

I'm think also that many buyers are less fussy about detail than is common in this forum. 

Edited by robmcg

On the subject of the LMS, I'm wondering whether Hornby may compliment it's excellent wagon range with a new tooling of the LMS Brake Van...?

If not then keeping on the subject of wagons, use the chassis of the SR D1530 Cattle Wagon and put it under a SR D1486 Meat Van body :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be perfectly frank I don't think Hornby are in a position to tool-up and produce a train of top-spec Coronation Scot carriages, much as many in Hornby would like to.

I'm think also that many buyers are less fussy about detail than is common in this forum. 

Judging by what old brands I've got in my very large to do pile - I agree (GMR, Mainline, Dapol (pre-97), Replica, Lima)

• RMweb Gold

The point of my post is to demonstrate what is possible with the current technology available to us. But I obviously cannot disagree with you given Hornby’s current position.Unlikely....yes.

But hang on a minute here .Hornby have recently put rather a fine brand new tooling 5 car Class 800 on the market,with several more versions imminent.These are on the market atm for c £300-350..so taking this position a stage further,what price brand new tooling for a set of blues/reds and golds ? Start the bidding at £70 per coach ? We just might be surprised at the commercial response,given the sighs and coos of desire akin to a Mills and Boon novel I’m currently reading on this forum.We could subtitle it “How To Make A Bathtub Beautiful “ I do so wish we would not use that term.Meanwhile,to prevent a truly prototypical eyesore we’re back to the excellent Stanier and Colletts that are already here....even the suburban variety on running in turns around Crewe,Shrewsbury etc.

Do forum members really care ? This one does,Rob and I ‘d like to think there are others of like mind.Can we finally rest theTriang legacy in peace ..please. ?

Do forum members really care ? This one does,Rob and I ‘d like to think there are others of like mind.Can we finally rest theTriang legacy in peace ..please. ?

There lies the dilemma for Hornby directors and the CEO....   the 1963 Caledonian Single still sells, so far as I know, albeit with a 'new' mechansm some years back, and better paint..

As others have pointed out Hornby carries overheads which at least until recently were higher than its revenue could support, and although a £500 train of coaches would look great behind the re-vamped Coronation class loco, I wouldn't personally invest my money in that if I was currently working hard just to break even.

I treat the advent of good new models from Hornby as an absolute treat, a 'glass half full' thing, if you will.   

• RMweb Gold

Hornby is in business to make money, and has been having a tough time doing so in recent years, we are told. If repeat runs of elderly tat makes money, is indeed part of the bread and butter, then why would we expect, let alone ask, them to stop?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby is in business to make money, and has been having a tough time doing so in recent years, we are told. If repeat runs of elderly tat makes money, is indeed part of the bread and butter, then why would we expect, let alone ask, them to stop?

If we don’t ask....we don’t get.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's 3-coach pack for the Coronations now available (eg https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35941/Hornby-r4873-oo-gauge-lms-coronation-scot-3-car-coach-pack)works out at around £20 per coach, but they're in crimson not blue, 

Even more of a work of fiction than Hornby's old tooling blue Coronation Scot coaches!

1. The 1939/40 red/gold Coronation carriages never ran in revenue-earning service in that livery;

2. the few that were completed were stored after the US tour, the remainder were completed in 1947 and went into various odd services; and

3. there were very significant differences from standard Period 3 stock, not the least being that they were mostly articulated pairs! 

Add to that the glaring mis-match between these 1980s models and the superb standard of the new Coronation pacifics.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

At the end of the day, the second hand market is becoming increasingly sated, and if Hornby keep releasing 30-40 year old tooling for which is well catered for in the second hand market, it will end up in the bargain bin. See the 14xx, 4f, j94, much Railroad stock etc.

Novelty & ‘something special’ sells - look at the sell-out that is the Rails-Rapido Dynamometer Car; both variants are sold out iirc. The Maunsell Diner, Pullman Golden Arrow observation car, Colletts and Hawksworths in GWR livery, Maunsells in lined olive - you now can’t get them in good/new condition for love nor money. People WILL pay for exceptional quality rolling stock, so why not a few coach diagrams from the LMS Coronation Scot set?

There is a certain irony that people drool over cutting-edge, Faberge level detail on newly tooled locos, but then totally ignore the quality of the stock they hang off the draw bar. Akin to a Michelin Star Starter followed by a microwave meal main course.

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Premium

People WILL pay for exceptional quality rolling stock, so why not a few coach diagrams from the LMS Coronation Scot set?

They should be done in HO, as they can only justifiably be run on US-themed layouts! - in Coronation Scot livery, that is. 

Some of the articulated pairs found use in the Central Division (ex L&Y lines) on Manchester-Southport and Blackpool-Liverpool residential services, from 1947 - in standard LMS livery of course.

• RMweb Premium

There is a certain irony that people drool over cutting-edge, Faberge level detail on newly tooled locos, but then totally ignore the quality of the stock they hang off the draw bar. Akin to a Michelin Star Starter followed by a microwave meal main course.

In the carriage field, I think the RTR side of the hobby is becoming more discerning - notably followers of the Southern Railway/Region, who have been treated to some plums. But wagons! Oh dear me!

• RMweb Gold

Just looked again on the Rails website. I think I understated my point.

I think based on the preceding points about the Coronation coach packs I'm going to stick with my latest Hornby Period 3 coaches, and dither over whether to get a matching crimson streamliner or the blue one!

Meanwhile back to Talbot's lovely book and more mulling over the fantastic images therein.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Maunsells in lined olive - you now can’t get them in good/new condition for love nor money.

As Melmerby indicated earlier, there is plenty of olive stock available. I have just run my simple “Maunsell” search on ebay, and searching only on UK sellers have counted 50 olive vehicles in the first four pages of ten. Some are new, all are boxed, there is plenty of variety. All three of the 1926 low-window BCKs (6571/2/4) are available, for example. These make great fodder for West of England branches as the through coach from Waterloo, which was their intended purpose.

• Like 1

As Melmerby indicated earlier, there is plenty of olive stock available. I have just run my simple “Maunsell” search on ebay, and searching only on UK sellers have counted 50 olive vehicles in the first four pages of ten. Some are new, all are boxed, there is plenty of variety. All three of the 1926 low-window BCKs (6571/2/4) are available, for example. These make great fodder for West of England branches as the through coach from Waterloo, which was their intended purpose.

But R4394a/b 4 compartment brake third are hard to find, took me a few years to get another two , to complete two sets for ACE, now i do have finally ten BCK 6571 used in the ACE to make two ACE sets.

But took a lot of effort over the time, even if you google for R4394a/b you do not get any hit for one for sale, all others no problem.

It is time Hornby is bringing them on the market againg in Maunsell lined green.