The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

If you want to see 4014 in action Virtual Railfan will (AFAIK) have the Laramie Historic Railroad Depot cams free over the weekend.

The Big Boy is due there for a stopover on May 4th on it's way to Ogden, Utah

Schedule here:

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

(EDIT return journey back to Cheyenne with overnight stopover in Laramie on May18th)

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

1 ordered from Rails ..

Regards

Craig

It ought to be a stunning model, see'best ever' thread here in Hornby for pics of the first run.

examples;

4014_Image5a_r1500.jpg.a220ad5f81965255c6161ebf5e0185bf.jpg

4014_Image9a_r1500.jpg.1a9be6f06bc88547008e9c2744256901.jpg

4014_Image12.jpg.8b39d790c19f6d12758b7d7bf07073b8.jpg

cheers

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it ran with the water carriers UP used with 3985 4-6-6-4 Challenger because remember there’s more water in the boiler than in the tender.  In steam days it wasn’t uncommon for them to run approximately 20 miles before needing a whole replenishment of water.

On 01/05/2019 at 20:36, melmerby said:

If you want to see 4014 in action Virtual Railfan will (AFAIK) have the Laramie Historic Railroad Depot cams free over the weekend.

The Big Boy is due there for a stopover on May 4th on it's way to Ogden, Utah

Schedule here:

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

(EDIT return journey back to Cheyenne with overnight stopover in Laramie on May18th)

Thanks for the link, Keith. There's a lot of footage now on twitter youtube etc of the run on Sat 4 May, hadn't realised 4014 was running with 844 as well.  Absolutely fab.

Bill

I observe that the price of s/h Big Boys is higher than it was on Ebay.

I may be wrong but the newly announced Rivarossi 4014 looks to have better detail than the earlier versions, but that said, they have steadily improved over the years regardless. 

Here are some examples of quite recent versions, RP25 wheels but no cab glazing.

The factory-weathered version I bought on Ebay for about US$150 from memory, four years ago, the pristine 4008 is a Hattons pic.

4008_HR2469_UP_Big_Boy_1abcde_r1500a.jpg.b646f76e1d63a9a79cc12bb9fff8f97b.jpg

4014_UP_Big_1abcde_r1500.jpg.79a9ff3d6428d7d0aa5e761871cb9d3a.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I notice they still model the loco with the cooling fins for the compressor on the front pilot.  Only the first batch had them and I think they were removed pretty early in service.  I expect a Union Pacific expert will confirm this.

• Agree 1

On 06/05/2019 at 23:47, jools1959 said:

I notice they still model the loco with the cooling fins for the compressor on the front pilot.  Only the first batch had them and I think they were removed pretty early in service.  I expect a Union Pacific expert will confirm this.

Some of the later versions done under Hornby had RP25 wheels and no cooling radiators.  They get good prices on Ebay.

On 06/05/2019 at 12:47, jools1959 said:

If they're there and you don't want them, they can no doubt be removed.

If they weren't fitted, then there would be howls of protest!

Has anyone counted the spokes yet... :jester:

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Some of the later versions done under Hornby had RP25 wheels and no cooling radiators.  They get good prices on Ebay.

Back in the early 80’s, Rivarossi started fitting RP25 profile wheels because when I was at the much lamented “Victor’s” the first batched arrived and there was a lot of favourable comments about it.

10 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Back in the early 80’s, Rivarossi started fitting RP25 profile wheels because when I was at the much lamented “Victor’s” the first batched arrived and there was a lot of favourable comments about it.

Off topic but please see my topic about 'memories of Victor's'

53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If they're there and you don't want them, they can no doubt be removed.

If they weren't fitted, then there would be howls of protest!

Has anyone counted the spokes yet... :jester:

Indeed they will have. U S modellers are good at such things.

The earlier versions with coarser flange had drivers at a scale 5'2"  should be 5'7"  not sure about the later ones. The models have both wheelsets swivelling the prototype only the front set, and the cylinders are about 1' too far forward, to allow clearances....  shocking stuff.

Best Big Boy in my opinion is the Precision Craft version, some like the Athearn and others the Marklin, or Broadway Limited, or MTH, but much of that is sound an other useless gimmickry... another thing I don't like is fitted crew, they ALWAYS detract from a model because they DON'T MOVE'.....

:)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

It would have been wonderful to liberate SP 4924 (the only surviving SP Cab Forward) from the California Railroad Museum on static display and had it meet nose to nose with UP 4014  today somewhere in Utah...maybe on the Lucian cuttoff causeway across the Great Salt Lake.  Impossible but a great fantasy....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having recently watched with much pleasure and admiration a great deal of YouTube coverage of last week’s rail fest in Wyoming,I must say I am smitten.The new release Rivarossi/Hornby is in HO of course and even in this form  is a massive beast for the average UK layout,apart from the issue of its cost,though you are getting a lot of loco for your bucks.

In idle speculation I wonder how it would handle my 3 feet radius curves and pointwork.No stock of course...

Going slightly off at a tangent,did anyone else notice the apparent lack of H&S concern between both train crew and adoring enthusiasts ? No one seemed to bother and yet there was a natural respect between man and machine and lack of barriers and fencing didn’t seem to induce anyone to throw caution to the wind for the sake of that Oscar winning camera work.4014 seemed a gentle tame giant with the kids and others getting up close while the train was looped in a siding waiting for freight to get ahead.Contrast that with events going on simultaneously last weekend a couple of miles away from where I post this when Flying Scotsman and its train,along with a number of XC trains had their passages disrupted and severely delayed by permanent way trespassers seeking that extra sensational footage.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

In idle speculation I wonder how it would handle my 3 feet radius curves and pointwork.No stock of course...

No problem at all, except it looks a bit odd.

Both front and rear engine pivot,  here is a recent Hornby-Rivarossi Big Boy with RP25 wheels etc., probably similar. I note the ads show a glazed cab so 4014 might be better.

4001_Big_Boy_s-l1600.jpg.78492cccdfe9db0de6dde36c7e3ba2bc.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2019 at 17:09, autocoach said:

It would have been wonderful to liberate SP 4924 (the only surviving SP Cab Forward) from the California Railroad Museum on static display and had it meet nose to nose with UP 4014  today somewhere in Utah...maybe on the Lucian cuttoff causeway across the Great Salt Lake.  Impossible but a great fantasy....

With Union Pacific, as I was told by a manager at the CSRM in 2008, it will be impossible because UP have a blanket ban on any other railroads steam loco’s including those they have merged with (C&NW, MKT, MP, SP, WP) to run over their rails.  That’s why Southern Pacific 4-8-4 4449 basically runs over BNSF Rails now.

I also asked what’s the chances of getting 4294 back in steam and the reply was “no chance” as there are to many missing and damaged parts, also they don’t have the facilities to overhaul it and the only place is with Union Pacific at Cheyenne, WY and we all know what that answer would be.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2019 at 18:15, Ian Hargrave said:

Going slightly off at a tangent,did anyone else notice the apparent lack of H&S concern between both train crew and adoring enthusiasts ? No one seemed to bother and yet there was a natural respect between man and machine and lack of barriers and fencing didn’t seem to induce anyone to throw caution to the wind for the sake of that Oscar winning camera work.4014 seemed a gentle tame giant with the kids and others getting up close while the train was looped in a siding waiting for freight to get ahead.Contrast that with events going on simultaneously last weekend a couple of miles away from where I post this when Flying Scotsman and its train,along with a number of XC trains had their passages disrupted and severely delayed by permanent way trespassers seeking that extra sensational footage.

I wonder whether the different attitudes are down to the fact that in the US, Railroads/Railways are not fenced and everyone is brought up with a sensible attitude to how close is close enough without becoming dangerous.

In the news this morning it is reported that Network Rail are seriously concerned about the problems caused by idiotic "Scotsman" groupies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-48229400

• Agree 1

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 18:15, Ian Hargrave said:

The new release Rivarossi/Hornby is in HO of course and even in this form  is a massive beast for the average UK layout,apart from the issue of its cost,though you are getting a lot of loco for your bucks.

I sold dozens of these locos back in the day and I would expect this version would also traverse 18 inch radius curves without any problem - that is why it has the rather 'toylike' arrangement where the rear set of wheels swivel as well. Not criticising the model for that - just saying.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

I wonder whether the different attitudes are down to the fact that in the US, Railroads/Railways are not fenced and everyone is brought up with a sensible attitude to how close is close enough without becoming dangerous.

In the news this morning it is reported that Network Rail are seriously concerned about the problems caused by idiotic "Scotsman" groupies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-48229400

Recognise the image on the BBC News app ? The very same our XC forum member posted on RMWeb last week.

Someone surely must know who these two nerds are.....Are we beginning perhaps to declare our own rules of what’s “ cool “  and it’s OK and permissible to tear up the rule book whatever the consequences and inconvenience to others might ensue ? The one directly facing the camera is surely old enough to know better.

That said......any forum member recognise him ?  I live just a few miles from the incident but unfortunately I don’t.

The Transport Police would like to have words......A case where shopping the dirt might be to the benefit of the greater good. Wonder what the max.penalty is ?

Absolutely not condoning the behaviour - but how times change. I seem to recall that during the 'Flying Scotsman Goes South' tour in 1966 our local station was so packed with sightseers that the train was held up for quite some time while people flooded over the tracks. I remember the porter trying to get people back on to the platforms so that the expected service in the opposite direction could pass....