The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

£1,000 fine and eighteen months in prison...

I found a relatively simple answer back in the 1970s - if they wouldn't move of their own accord I 'helped' them on their way.  One chap who landed in the midst of a bramble bush got most upset as a result of my 'help' so I suggested that he contact British Transport Police if he wished to make an issue of my 'helping' him out of the way of an approaching train. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 90rob said:

Absolutely not condoning the behaviour - but how times change. I seem to recall that during the 'Flying Scotsman Goes South' tour in 1966 our local station was so packed with sightseers that the train was held up for quite some time while people flooded over the tracks. I remember the porter trying to get people back on to the platforms so that the expected service in the opposite direction could pass....

Different times.

In those days trains were slower, there were lots of bobbies in boxes along the route.

Today most main lines use automatic colour lights and the bobbies are in a bunker in Saltley (or Derby or wherever) so less able to monitor the trackside for trespassers. The trains are in many cases are also more frequent.

It's a much more dangerous place for those wrong side of the fence.

One of the reports suggested FS might have video recording equipment installed so that they could film all these twonks.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Different times.

In those days trains were slower, 

...although you had to keep well clear of the platform edge when a BoB or WC went through at full tilt...!

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 90rob said:

...although you had to keep well clear of the platform edge when a BoB or WC went through at full tilt...!

Ah, yes. A former colleague had taken a Light Pacific through Sittingbourne rather faster than he should have done - and apparently his aero-wake took half the papers off Smith's bookstall! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
On 30/04/2019 at 09:33, melmerby said:

Big Boy = 132' 9¼"

A4 = 71' 0¼"

Gresley coach = 63' 6" (x2)

All sizes over buffers

Do the maths!

OK, so my memory must be failing but it is still nearly as long as an A4 and a coach. I just found the Big Boy overwhelming, a VERY IMPRESSIVE locomotive. 

• Agree 1

And remember the Hornby big boy (UP 4000 Class) is HO scale 3.5 mm/foot when comparing to Hornby 4 mm scale equipment.  Even so you will need larger radius and bigger clearances to run it.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, autocoach said:

And remember the Hornby big boy (UP 4000 Class) is HO scale 3.5 mm/foot when comparing to Hornby 4 mm scale equipment.  Even so you will need larger radius and bigger clearances to run it.

Which makes it 7/8th the size it should be in OO, It works out as equivalent to 14' high by 9' 7" wide, although that's not much bigger than a GWR loco it's length is still some 50% longer!

• RMweb Premium

Latest issue up now

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/bulleid-59-usa-flying-scotsman-club-locos

BR Prairies looks great, USA Scotsman also looks great, though I am still disappointed they have applied a gold plate to the metal parts. Also samples of this years LNER Teak coaches. Looks like they may have solved the problems that the teaks have had in the past of repetitive patterns of wood grain. They look pretty good. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm impressed by the teak finish. They will be subtly different from the earlier (good) releases which would actually therefore reprasent the diversity seen in a real train! Looking forward to (finally) adding a corridor third to my rake!

• Agree 1

I do like the Prairies, ONCE the Ruston and the Peckett B2 have arrived, I'll be considering a replacement for my Airfix "Coffee Grinder"!

I was a bit disappointed with the "two club locos" headline, which turned out to be more on the new freebie and repetitive info on the H class, I was hoping for an announcement on the followup to the H class.

As for FS, gold-plated, stuffed and mounted is the way to go...

(At least the Rob Bell article in "The Collector" has a snap posed alongside Tornado rather than an iconic loco...)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I'm impressed by the teak finish. They will be subtly different from the earlier (good) releases which would actually therefore reprasent the diversity seen in a real train! Looking forward to (finally) adding a corridor third to my rake!

yes, definitely an improvement as far as I can tell from the samples and ES photographs, but I shall be waiting to see them 'in the flesh' before stumping up any cash!

cheers,

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice to see such detail variation on the MK3 SD. 5 different interiors shows Hornbys commitment to detail I think. And that a one size fits all interior won’t suffice anymore. Also it may just be me, and I know colour is always subject to many factors, but the Caledonian 92 lols far too blue and nowhere near Teal enough. Is it just me? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Arnold BB

1:160

Quote "Arnold (N 1:160) Pullman, set of 2 coaches 5-BEL 'Brighton Belle', coach and railcar, period VI,

Arnold (N 1:160) Pullman, 3-unit set 5-BEL 'Brighton Belle', coach 3ª Class, "Mona" and "Gwen", period VI"

1:148

Quote "Following the clear interest in our International ranges expressed from April's edition of The Engine Shed, an opportunity has arisen to feature a model from the Arnold 'N' gauge range which is the ‘Brighton Belle’ (1:148 scale). Certainly in keeping with the theme of June’s edition of the blog, we are showing for the first time a glimpse of the full train. Combining the HN3006 set of 2 coaches and the HN3502 coach pack, these decoration samples offer modellers who have already placed their pre-order a look at what they can expect."

I think they are confused!:scratchhead:

Edited by melmerby

37 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Nice to see such detail variation on the MK3 SD. 5 different interiors shows Hornbys commitment to detail I think. And that a one size fits all interior won’t suffice anymore. Also it may just be me, and I know colour is always subject to many factors, but the Caledonian 92 lols far too blue and nowhere near Teal enough. Is it just me? 

I wonder if the colour has something to do with the licence for the livery? Seeing as Accurascale are producing the 92. Unless its because it is an early sample that it isn't correct.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I know colour is always subject to many factors, but the Caledonian 92 lols far too blue and nowhere near Teal enough. Is it just me?

It could just be the extremely bright studio lights......

IMO, it obviously doesn't look like what we see, but it's a far better choice of colours than what was on their previous Caledonian Sleeper Class 67.

I was honestly left dumbfounded that someone actually signed off that colour as being a perfect match. It was nowhere near the actual colour.

Personally the biggest let down with the Hornby Class 92 is the distinct lack of black headlight surrounds that the actual locomotives have. I've told Hornby about this many times in the past and even did so recently. It's such a simple thing that will improve the overall look of the locomotive. After all they're selling it as a full spec model when it should actually be in the RailRoad range. The least I'd expect is accurate tampo-printed headlight surrounds.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The brake vans and the GWR 43 caught mine eye. Not sure how many goods brake vans I really need, but variety is the spice of life as they say.

Edited by truffy
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It could just be the extremely bright studio lights......

IMO, it obviously doesn't look like what we see, but it's a far better choice of colours than what was on their previous Caledonian Sleeper Class 67.

I was honestly left dumbfounded that someone actually signed off that colour as being a perfect match. It was nowhere near the actual colour.

Personally the biggest let down with the Hornby Class 92 is the distinct lack of black headlight surrounds that the actual locomotives have. I've told Hornby about this many times in the past and even did so recently. It's such a simple thing that will improve the overall look of the locomotive. After all they're selling it as a full spec model when it should actually be in the RailRoad range. The least I'd expect is accurate tampo-printed headlight surrounds.

Railroad price though.......

• Agree 4

• 1 month later...