BritMod OO Challenge (The Dave Competition) - Devil's Bridge

The plan here is if I start this and do the carpentry and electrics I'll then try and persuade Mrs SG she wants to try her hand at scenery.....wish me luck with that!

'Devils Bridge' will be a length of single track roughly 5ft long, on an S bend with a bridge in the middle. The board needs creating around the track plan and needs to be open frame in style. The sides of the boards will go straight from 1 Dave end plate to the other so overall it will form a parallelogram which will end up narrower than 18inches.

post-9147-0-37249900-1426782154_thumb.jpg

The Hornby river bridges are ones I've had since I was very young, it's about time they got put to good use. The S bend design seems different to me and may be useful in a modular meet to help clear an obstical. If nothing else this will make a nice photo plank, it's simple so it stands a chance of getting completed!

Remember, 2nd is the same as first loser ;)

Did some sketching earlier to work out wood cutting required from the supplies I already have, my Dave compatible end plates need to be 118mm deep+ baseboard depth on top, so quite chunky! And lots of fun angles to cut :)

We're going to have lots of bridges and rivers - but isn't that what 90% of the UK's railways are anyway...?

Obviously. We're clearly basing our modular endevours somewhere bumpy and wet.

I suspect my water level will be lower than other bridge modules, so somebody needs to model a weir.

Bit more working out before wood cutting commences. Some important measurements worked out, each side is 58 and 1/4 inches long. Board is only about 15 inches wide, and the step across from 1 end to the other is over 18 inches.

post-9147-0-62614700-1426859079_thumb.jpg

plus the way the track doesn't stay parallel to the board edges looks good!

Very nice but I think that grass is out of scale.

Seriously, nice work - and if you could build a second one with the same S-bend but perhaps a road overbridge and the track in a cutting instead, that would be great.

Where shall I send you the forms for our meetup in June....? :mosking:

Remember they don't need to be scenically correct by June, just electrically functional.  The main idea of our June meet is to make sure we've all misinterpreted the standards in different ways yet can still create a functional layout.  This was planned long before the competition was announced, it just happens to be that final confirmation of the venue came at a similar time.

After all, if you've achieved that over this weekend, all you have to do is wire up banana plugs and sockets either end of the board and build a pair of legs, that should be easily doable for next weekend... then you've got all of April, May and most of June to do some basic scenery as a bonus.

Two and a half hour drive...

I think you underestimate how fast I drive ;)

Ok pencil me down, but I'll have to clear it with the wife. I have banana plugs and sockets around here somewhere, the track isn't actually laid there, just placed on to show how it works. As you say, probably will be good to have a test run on how different my 'standards' are before I start properly on any of the Narwich modules. I'm off work at the moment so lacking excuses not to get something done, it's good therapy!

I probably should pose some stock to make the pictures more interesting.....

post-9147-0-29376100-1427123560_thumb.jpg

Bridges stuck on. Track stuck to bridges. Outer track at each end still loose to help with securing for board joints. Holes drilled for droppers under the track on each flat board. Choc-block mounted under each end for wiring..... only managed to find my brown wire though so all wiring will be the same colour.....

Can't find my newly acquired banana plugs and sockets :( but managed to find some of my older sockets, 2 black, 2 red :) off to town tomorrow to find some suitable mounting brackets for them. Then it's time to fire up my slightly neglected soldering iron for the first time this year :)

I bought a few lengths of 25mm aluminium angle moulding to build cassettes for my O gauge layout, and had some bits left over - cutting some 3" lengths and then drilling appropriate holes for the banana sockets then a screw hole seemed to work for me.

http://www.diy.com/departments/richard-burbidge-aluminium-angle-moulding-w25mm-l24m-t25mm/246532_BQ.prd

Of course, it has other purposes such as inner corner strenghteners and no doubt many other things you could do with 2.4 metres of the stuff.

Was fun getting it home from B&Q in a Fiesta as well.

How many elephants can you fit in a fiesta?.......

There's a small diy a short walk from here, it'll very much be a case of make it up when I get there! If I'm really lucky something will already have the correct size holes in as I can't currently get at my pillar drill.

Plenty of time - remember for June we only need boards to be electrically functional by then, and most of the big American meets you have a number of scenically incomplete boards.

I remember my first exhibition layout where I was still painting the platform surface 10 minutes before the show opened...

I may have managed to pursuade mrs SG to try her hand at scenery with this one, so definately don't expect it to be scenically complete anytime soon. I am looking forward to attacking some expanded polystyrene for the river banks and upsetting her with the resultant snowstorm though.

Got the mounting brackets for the banana sockets :)

Holes are smaller than the socket mounts so need drilling out, which means clearing back the garage to the pillar drill :(

Got brackets from my local orange themed DIY rather than the 4 candles store, found they have ready made strip wood 900x90x15mm, cut one of those in half and that's 2x dave ends for £3 :)

Still haven't found my supply of new banana fittings :(

I was thinking of a bridge on a curve for mine, maybe I should flip my idea upside down and do a tunnel (with optional windmill on top).

Some quick progress there I'm still trying to figure out what to do!

Archived