LSWR 4mm Loco Kits - what is available ?

Hi Guys

I am interested in building a loco kit of a LSWR loco in 4mm OO. My layout will be set in the period around 1900 to 1915.

My preference would be for a tank engine

The kit needs to be suitable for a beginner

It needs to be affordable

If it is a complete kit that would be a bonus

Something not already available as a good RTR model ( or coming soon )

Any suggestions please ?

• RMweb Gold

Something like the LSWR G6 sounds like it might be suitable.  

It was available from Alan Gibson but a quick look at the website suggests it's not available currently.

Although this lists other pre-Southern locomotives, there may be other LSWR locomotives listed that fit the bill.

http://www.semgonline.com/model/00steamkits.html

HTH

Posted just after post no. 2

I help out on a layout which belongs to the National Trust which is LSWR. Almost all the locos are kitbuilt (I think there are two scratchbuilds). There are a few to choose from:

corfe_service_2_zps85639ed6.jpg

corfe_service_3_zps43fe0aa5.jpg

If you want to know any more about any of these, or more pictures of any of them (we have at least one G6, which I see has been mentioned above) please just ask. The pictures above were taken while I had them at home to do the winter servicing.

The locos come from the Corfe layout which was donated to the National Trust by the late Ron Rising. Ron was a longstanding member of the Pendon team and Corfe was his own layout.

There is a topic on RMWeb on the layout here.

The layout is held at Ormesby Hall on the outskirts of Middlesbrough and is operated when the Hall is open to the public, that being each Sunday until the end of October and this weekend which is our Railway event. There is a local group of volunteers who maintain and operate all the layouts at the property.

I have posted pictures of the odd loco on threads on here, mainly the Hornby ones we've been allowed to purchase, or ones I've done work on on my Workbench thread. If there is one you'd like more pictures of then I can probably oblige the next time I'm on duty.

South eastern finecast also do a very nice Adams "B4" 0-4-0, an update from the old McGowan kit. It's a bit more challenging than the G6, but very satisfying. I've just finished one which runs beautifully and there's enough space in the body for a flywheel!

SEF kits are very good in general

Stewart

Thanks for the replies

I assume a bodyline kit is to go on a RTR chassis

If so which one ?

The Southeastern Finecast G6 is the old Wills loco which was designed to go on the Hornby Dublo R1 chassis. Wills then designed a basic etched brass chassis to replace the Hornby Dublo R1, Southeastern Finecast then updated the chassis with full brake gear and the ability to easily fit a compensated system if required, and if its anything like the Triang Hornby "Jinty" replacement chassis (I have both tank and tender versions of the revised chassis) has lamp irons and a few washers and differing guard irons.

You could use the R1 chassis and with 1/8" axles Gibson or Markit wheels could be used and Mainly Trains do a nice etched set of coupling rods

Smiffy2

Here are a few photos of what you get

post-1131-0-74812700-1426926194.jpeg

These are the Southeastern Finecast etched sheets you get, this one is for the Triang Hornby Jinty (type) tank loco fret. This has the rear clip to fit the body, my older Wills Hornby Dublo replacement chassis has a similar arrangement to suite Hornby Dublo body's. You can see additional guard irons, lamp irons, brake gear washers etc.

post-1131-0-76425500-1426926209.jpeg

The hardware, you also gets bits of brass and electrical wire. As there are frame spacers the chassis can either be screwed together or soldered up. (there are parts of the build where soldering is required) 

post-1131-0-63438300-1426926228.jpeg

These are the instructions for the Triang Hornby tender loco fret, the rear connection is not the tank type clip fit

The 3 replacement RTR chassis are Triang Hornby 0-6-0 tank (Jinty/E4) and tender(L1/4F) loco chassis, Hornby Dublo 0-6-0 R1 chassis

They also do a range of etched chassis for both other bodyline and revised kits  link  http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/PriceList.pdf

There are 5 bodyline kits without etched chassis, 2 are still whitemetal, 2 use Triang chassis and one still uses the Hornby Dublo

post-1131-0-56548700-1426927384.jpeg

This is a photo of a revised chassis for the LMS Flatiron loco, originally had the Jinty chassis. I don't think all revised chassis have cut outs for horn blocks.

I hope this helps

Something like the LSWR G6 sounds like it might be suitable.  

It was available from Alan Gibson but a quick look at the website suggests it's not available currently.

Although this lists other pre-Southern locomotives, there may be other LSWR locomotives listed that fit the bill.

http://www.semgonline.com/model/00steamkits.html

HTH

Posted just after post no. 2

With respect, I would never suggest Alan Gibson kits for a 'beginner'.

Not certain about the Branchlines chassis, but the Southeastern Finecast will also need soldering in certain areas. As Pete said the SEF chassis can be screwed together first, I would be tempted to solder it together once the chassis is running freely.

The G6 in my opinion is a very pretty loco and with your painting skills should look teriffic

Thanks for the info, Hayfield (and thanks Michael for thanking him for me...) that looks quite doable. I'm working on a static model, and at the moment I'm looking at a GBL C Class chassis and wheel set - the wheelbase is a bit off, but then so is the wheelbase on the Wrenn model.

The question now is whether or not the Wrenn body can be made decent. I'm working on one at the moment. It's fairly basic.

Smiffy2

The G6 wheelbase is 6'10" x 7'5"

The R1 7'4" x 8'2"

The Hornby Dublo chassis is 6'9" x 8' from what I see

The HD/Wrenn R1 body can be improved, new hand rails and knobs, lamp irons, Westing house pump and clack valves, perhaps new smoke box darts, cutting the boiler bottom off where it goes flat rear window bars etc. Or just but the Southeastern finecast one which has 2 differing cabs, and is a revised kit with the correct chassis (not a HD type) http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Locomotives/New%20and%20Revised%20Loco%20Kits%20Page%206.htm

I've done the handrails (badly) and 'circularised' the cab windows, tidied it up in places. I'll have a look at the Westinghouse pump, and I've got a spare pair of clack valves somewhere... the bodies are available on ebay for about £8 a go, so can be used for experimentation. The clack valves + handrail knobs cost more!

If it doesn't look too awful when finished I'll put a picture up, but it's really a practice piece.

I think that if I were to want a round cab version I would go the SEF route, but this one looks fairly convincing. 

Archived