North British Railway 6 Wheel Coaches.

When I built the first two coach chassis I did not have the axle boxes or springs. Remember the middle axle box has to go through the W iron from the back. Check it will go through OK beforehand. I had a bit of a job getting them to fit when I tried to add them afterwards. 

Cheers Shez I had forgotten  just a quick one how did you fix the two outer W irons ?

Do you mean the middle one? Once I had got the outer strapping on the solebar you can see the recess where they fit. I then tinned the back of the w iron and held it in place with blue tack and pushed down on it with a blunted cocktail stick. Flux and solder to the edge and on it went. 

As to the others again I held them in place with blue tack and soldered the ends to the underside of the floor, and then a quick dab with the iron where they touch the back of the solebar. 

• Like 1

Evening folks  sorry for the delay in posting

One of my problems  was getting the solebar overlays  fixed, partly due to  using gas soldering iron and partly how to clamp it . Hence i decided  to fit  then  while the under-frame was in the flat  so to speak I tinned  both mating parts  with my new 100 watt electric iron   ( 14 pounds from Maplin  whoop whoop ) usual disclamer

then pinned both parts together  with drawing pins  to a piece of ply to hold them flat and in place and  ran the gas iron over  them  result     DONE 

Tomorrows  task  will be to clean up  and tin the indents for the central W irons  and the foot board brackets 

Sorry about the poor pics  i will have to get my  SLR out  with the macro lens

post-9739-0-35592100-1486332621_thumb.jpg

post-9739-0-99214800-1486332698_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just got home  spotted  an obvious mistake  going to the pub in temper  who can see what  I  have done wrong ?  answers on the back of a new 5 pound  note  to          me 

Will sort it when i get  home

which side should the folds be ??      Yup  THE OTHER SIDE

Edited by nigelb

• RMweb Premium

Just got home  spotted  an obvious mistake  going to the pub in temper  who can see what  I  have done wrong ?  answers on the back of a new 5 pound  note  to          me 

Will sort it when i get  home

which side should the folds be ??      Yup  THE OTHER SIDE

I didn't want to say that Nigel.  I almost always put my fold lines on the inside of folds.  However We've all been there and done that sort of thing many times.  I once bought a part built loco kit and the footplate had been soldered on upside down.   I've also got a Midland ventilated van running round Green Ayre which has the body sides, and thus all the vents, fitted upside down and the door hangers are at the bottom.  Nobody has ever spotted it.

Jamie

Got back from the pub  and decided  soldering iron  and  squiffy  do  not mix  :nono:  :nono:  

daft thing is  I have always  checked and double checked  on the  practice    parts I  have done . :mail:

Note to self  Triple check  from now on :sungum:

Some more progress after  the little  ............ **** ( insert  4 letter word of choice) up, The oonly trouble i got so  carried away i forgot to take the step pics  LOL

task  tonight was to  get  the under frame  bent to shape, sole bar overlays on  center  W irons and springs on  all done

I have been keeping  count of the time spent  so far 2 1/2 hours

I not sure if any one else uses  one  but i invested in a Piranah  Hold and fold  blew lots of beer tokens on the 300 mm long version and i  am well pl;eased with it   ( usual disclaimer) it holds the full length of  the underframe.

Note to self  sort out the background when taking pictures  (  dont want people to think Im a messy worker

post-9739-0-39044400-1486589157_thumb.jpg

post-9739-0-13997800-1486589172_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nothing to do with the coach but I have finally  got a length of  0 gauge track, also looking forward to  meeting the guys  at ally pally next Saturday 

Thanks Nigel. Looking forward to meeting you next Saturday. Should have hopefully fully recovered from my "father of the bride" experience this last weekend!

• RMweb Premium

Just to remind anyone who's interested, Mark and I still have a few etches left and I will have them with me behind the Lancaster Green Ayre layout at Alexandra Palace this weekend if anyone wants one.  After these have gone they will be available from Peter Mullen at 62C kits.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

Just to remind anyone who's interested, Mark and I still have a few etches left and I will have them with me behind the Lancaster Green Ayre layout at Alexandra Palace this weekend if anyone wants one.  After these have gone they will be available from Peter Mullen at 62C kits.

Jamie

dont sell the  ones i  have reserved    lol

• Like 1

had a great day at  Alexander palace  met  Jamie Shes  and  the other  guys  running  Lancaster green ayes

picked up the 3 etched i had asked for and some good tips

even bought  a parkside dundas  NBR 4 plank open  thats now sat almost complete  awaiting paint n buffers  on my work bench

decided I may be  trying for too much detail  in my efforts  so i  will be  backing down and hopefully  getting  some progress 

I  now have a break 3rd  all 1st  and 2  all 3rds  to  put together   so  i think i  will look at a production line plan for the chassis

mmmmm might need a bit more than my 1 meter length of track lol

• Like 1

Good to meet you yesterday Nigel

If you want to send me your e mail I might have some stuff you will find useful.

Too knackered for any model making today. Having got Jamie's big trainset back from Ally Pally and unloaded, finally got home at 1.45 am.  

Have bought a C and L point kit, so next adventure is going to be having a go at making track, Also hoping to get the two almost completed NBR six wheelers into the first stage of the paintshop now the warmer weather is on its way ( well as warm as it ever gets here in the South Pennines!) Then there is the Pickersgill 440, oh and my son and his girlfriend want me to help paint their house........

• Like 1

Hi Shez have you sourced the grab handles and door handles  yet ?

also  what colours are you going to use ? if you recall i did some  trials with grey  or red undercoat  and a base coat of  blue to  give the  red depth. i think a good etching primer  will help  as well

For the door handles I am using Laurie Griffen LNWR T handles, 20 in a pack for a tenner, though I think most T handles would suffice. As for the grab handles its going to be a wooden jig, strip brass and wire job. I will then glue both sets of handles on once I have finished painting and lining.

Not decided on paint yet. Have some Pheoniox Precision NBR coach lake, and as an alternative Humbrol 20 is not a million miles away. Another possibility is a Halfords can of Rover Damask red, as I do like the finish you get from Halfords paint on metal kits. I tend to just give models a good scrub and work over with the fibre glass brush and just use normal Halfords primer. 

No one can really say what shade NBR lake was anyway.

• Like 1

I will give my test sides a good clean up and try the halfords grey primer  if i  recall i have the damask red myself  the initial trial  efforts  have chipped off  but  they  were not fully prepped from what  i  have heard  an etching primer  will give the best results  then a suitable colour undercoat.

I am sure others  will "chip" in  to this conversation  plus i  might start a new thread in  kit building  section

• RMweb Premium

I will give my test sides a good clean up and try the halfords grey primer  if i  recall i have the damask red myself  the initial trial  efforts  have chipped off  but  they  were not fully prepped from what  i  have heard  an etching primer  will give the best results  then a suitable colour undercoat.

I am sure others  will "chip" in  to this conversation  plus i  might start a new thread in  kit building  section

My local branch of Motosave sells a grey etching primer that adheres well to brass. You can then try a direct coat of Damask Red that I also use for Midland stock, or do a coat of red oxide primer first before the Damask red. For preparation of the brass I cheat and put it through the dishwasher when the boss isn't looking.

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi

the 'other stuff' to clean brass before primer is 'Shiny Sinks' brush it on (with an old toothbrush) and rinse off.

It used to be in a blue plastic container at your local supermarket.

Yours Peter

I must be mad   Just  won a  NBR 4 wheel 3 compartment 1st of 1864  by Decent Models off Ebay  now i need to find the bits to accompany  it   

has any one else  built one of these ?

• Like 1