North British Railway 6 Wheel Coaches.

I hope I can bump this thread.   I just started a 62C 4 wheeled brake but the kit doesn't have any info on how the underframe is laid out.  The picture above has potential but is not clear.  Hoping someone can supply similar info.  I have a 6 wheeler to do as well.

John

Hi John,

Hope the following images makes sense.

Basically fold down the four bearing supports and the 8 "ears" which the wire suspension will go through, soldering the folds for strength. (Do not fill the hole with solder!)

The bearing carrier (black in the 3rd image) should have the wire run through the half etched grooves and crimped to secure. Ensure that the bearing carrier can float vertically and is not catching on the bearing support.

I'll apologise now for the mistake in the body where you will find the half etched holes for the door bump stops were etched fully! Just means additional work inserting a short length of 0.45/0.50mm brass wire and trimming each.

IMG_2170.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you very much for those pictures.  It is so helpful to see the model in the process of build and to understand the design intent.

I am happy to see how you did the axlebox support flap.  In my ignorance I only bent them 90 degrees, I can correct that now.

I searched and searched but could not find the vacuum cylinder brackets (R).

I have built similar suspension systems in the past (Bill Bedford) so I think I understand this.

No worries about the door stops, filling with wire and filing is not difficult.

I received some 4 wheel carriage drawings from a helpful member in a PM so I'm happy about that.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

There should not be a "Part R" for the 4-wheel BK3 as they were Westinghouse only.

I suspect Peter is using instructions from his 6-wheel carriages and carried this over?

There is a "Part W" (located on fret next to body end steps) which after folding, spaces the Westinghouse cylinder off the underneath of the floor.

I have PM'd pdf images of the BK3 which I only completed for Peter a couple of days ago and will be included in future kits.

I've still to work on a detail drawing showing the brake rodding/weigh bars.

• Like 1

Delighted to see this thread back up and going again.  Peter at 62C Models is going to be marketing the six wheelers as complete kits. If you drop him an e mail he is very helpful if you need any guidance with his kits. 

There is lots of good information in NBR Coaches: A design review by GWM Sewell available from the NBR study group.

There is a photo of a completed 4 wheel brake on my Shezs workbench thread.

• Like 1

Thanks Shez, my friend, for whom I am building these, said the same thing about Peter, so I will bear that in mind.

I found your thread, some marvellous looking locos.  :drinks: Glad to know others are building these coaches.  My scope of work is to build the kits and paint the body colour.  I am not into lining so my friend has told me he can do that.  Happy to note that Guilplates do transfers.  We were concerned about that.  I have advised him to contact them.

John

• Like 1

Guilplates do a set of coach transfers. They ae a bit overscale, but I find them fine. They do printed crests as well. They don't have a website but I can send you the address if you want.

Strangely enough the fox transfers caledonian coaches sheet includes some NBR lettering as well. About enough for one coach.

Peter is now doing some transfer crests which are much better than the printed ones.

Though I have included the following picture on other threads it seems appropriate to have it here. The other vehicle is a D and S horsebox. I am glad to see others building NBR stuff. I think that for those of us in O gauge its a perfect line to model. Mostly small locos and stock, lots of single track lines and branches.

IMG_20200921_163551.jpg.d78b623f645640e5edbf3964210fd31b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks for the pic Shez.  I checked the Fox site but didn't find any NBR transfers.  We did hear that Peter was working on coach crests, let's hope they become available soon.

I found the Guilplates entry on the Directory.

I am mostly a BR 1962 ish modeller but my friend is building his NBR fleet.  I refurbished 7 goods wagons a few weeks ago.  I quite like pre grouping so I'm happy to be able to indulge that on someone else's nickel.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

The Fox ones are on the Caledonian Railway  Coach sheet.  The lettering and numbering are the same pattern as NBR and slightly smaller than the guilplates ones. Its not obvious that the NBR lettering is there until you look closely at the sheet.

Have you got the up to date contact for Guilplates they changed address recently.  4 Thorn Bank, Guildford, GU2 7PL. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Ah, thanks, worth knowing about the CR transfers, I'll be sure to pass that on.  The main thing I guess is the crest.

I think this is the one you mean:

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/cr-caledonian-lettering-numbering-75374

Yes, the Directory entry for Guilplates is up to date.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1