Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

• RMweb Gold

Oh don't worry I'll be there :) got an exhibition in 3 1/2 weeks so a bit pre-occupied with that at present but it still gives me a month to get stuff in by the deadline. I'd rather pay a second fee than it not go ahead as I'd be £35 down on the hotel I've booked ;)

Hi Paul (and others), just to clarify, the "cost" is simply a share towards the hall hire fees, no profit is made from this and no "cost of my time adminning" is involved.    If you have a second module that you decide to work on, a second form is no cost and as long as I can fit it in the plan, I will.

Even if a module comes along "as a surprise" on the day, if there's an easy way to fit it in great but there cannot obviously be any guarantee - the day will be manic enough anyway without sitting down trying to reorganise stuff on the day!

I rounded up my figures to £20 per person - so there's a bit of flexibility in there anyway, at the end of the day if there's a will (and it seems there is) to make this thing happen, we will somehow manage it.  If we're a bit short and I have to ask those attending to chuck another fiver in the pot to cover it all I'm sure most won't mind.

You could, of course, encourage your friends on here to participate, or get someone from your club to sign up to RMWeb and "have a go at modular" too ... keep publicising, I'm sure there are plenty of people who haven't picked up yet on the fact the meet is happening yet.

There could become a point where there are too many to be accommodated by the space in the hall ... (if it's sunny - late-comers/registrants might heve to set up in the car park) :D

So I took the principle of get my booking in quick. If the numbers really do shoot up (and it becomes over subscribed) then there is scope to drop out (but not last-minute)

There will be a cut-off point where we are "full" - however there is also a larger room available that we could upgrade to (at present it's still available) and of course the increased numbers would justify/cover the increased cost.

Let's not panic yet :)

• RMweb Gold

All you need is boards with plain track wired to the spec. Scenery, sidings, loops etc are a plus but not essential to try it out :) When we did the US meet the bare modules actually allowed us to use the sidings to suit what industry, loco stabling that was missing on the rest of the system.

Thinking anout corners and assuming a shortage could we accept bare corners for our first meet up?

Absolutely, bare anythings (apart from backsides but I am pretty sure Boris is otherwise busy this weekend) is acceptable.  As I've said before, electrical compatibility and functionality is the main thing, scenery always comes second unless we happen to be at an actual show presenting a modular operation.  I think that's probably at least a year off though :)  But even a 'base coat' of a green poster paint to represent grass, black for roads, brown for a muddy river bed, can transform a sheet of bare ply or MDF and make it not stick out a lot.

Good point above by Paul, bare sidings can represent pretty much anything we want them to :)  You can see plenty of unfinished modules here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldW9ip5-QTU

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick reminder to those that have expressed interest to get your forms in as soon as you can - I've got three confirmations including myself so far and if everyone who has expressed an interest materialises into a confirmation we have enough to go ahead.

My fiddle yard module is functional, my "loop" should hopefully be assembled for the first time today meaning there is only wiring up to do then sort out the points, so that should be ready.  I've also got some Tim Horn board tops in the queue for a 90 degree corner module although that is only going to be "bare boards" if I get that far.

Mind you, I still have no idea how I'm going to get all this lot in a Fiesta...

Just as an encouragement, with the modules that we currently have submitted and confirmed, assuming everything is complete and working and turns up, we have approx. a 100 ft run from end of fiddle yard, round the loop, and back to the end of the fiddle yard.

And that's with only half of those that have asked for forms having responded.

If anyone has time/space to build something extra by then, a junction module of some description would be most helpful...

We can accommodate both (subject to enough single and double to maximise the space available) - I have a 'single track to double track' converter that can go in the middle and at least one double track module under construction.  My "return loop" is a double track entrance.

The majority of track so far submitted is single track though - and at some point I'm planning on a station module with double track at the exits but also some small "single to double" converters (I worked out you can do one in 2ft).

A single track with single track junction coming off of it at 30 or 45 degrees would be useful.

Oh, and so far, we only have one station, my one on the loop that can accommodate 4 plus loco (or it will, once I lay down the bits to make a platform...) although I know of at least one other station that's planned - although I'm not sure if that's a through or terminus.

We could do with a passing loop (a station would go well with this) otherwise we may only end up with one train moving at a time.

We may, of course, not be able to use all the modules submitted in the end - but that will always be the case even if we had 100 participants.  We're a long way off of hiring a sports hall that'll be big enough to accommodate and I reckon we'll need at least one booster unit by then; and they aren't cheap!

Archived