Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

Well perhaps "cock ups" is too strong a word..

On the junction board the end has bowed in leaving a 3mm gap between it and the next board - no idea how - so that needs some serious wood surgery.

On the river bridge board I seem to have a similar problem so I think it's something in board construction. 

I think I don't have time to finish the river estuary board.

I am however working on an additional 45 degree board that I had passed over due to there being no need to use it - but this evening if I can sort out the car park surface (shouldn't take long) and ballast the single line, then it should be perfectly functional in a new configuration.

There's a small list of annoying mini things on RTS that need sorting out - but nothing too severe.  Apart from a couple of small jumper wires needing soldering up it appears to be electrically functional although I'm not entirely sure if I will have a chance to assembly the whole thing before the weekend - it depends what the weather is like next weekend and whether I can be bothered to lug all 10 sections, 24 legs and 24 bolts (plus four cables) down two flights of stairs and hope that I have a long enough extension lead to get from our flat to downstairs.

The fiddle yard was "complete" anyway although there is a bit more scenic work needed on the tunnel mouth end, that doesn't really matter if I don't get a chance to complete it.

I guess the lesson learnt here is that I can build modules, or organise a meet, but struggle to achieve both by the same deadline.

I may well 'discard' some of the dodgy modules as at least one of them was a recycled board anyway, and look to starting them again perhaps with a little more thought as to what to do with them - as being standalone 4ft boards did rather restrict what you can do with them.

It may also be prudent to invest in some "proper" boards like the Tim Horn ones - that solves the problem of my weakest spot...

Don't be too hard on yourself, 'nut... it'll be alright on the night.

Again, good luck with the meet to all. Maybe next time!

I think where I went wrong was constructing them all individually rather than having them assembled as I was working on them - so I didn't notice these fundamental issues until time has essentially run out (I have next weekend, then my mum is coming up the following weekend - I know, bad planning - then it's the meet).

Well perhaps "cock ups" is too strong a word..

On the junction board the end has bowed in leaving a 3mm gap between it and the next board - no idea how - so that needs some serious wood surgery.

Would the clamps not tighten the gap?

My issue seems to be getting the rails level as they sometimes have been forming a V shape at the join it could have just been while balasting that I have applied pressure or the legs needed adjusting as they sank into the carpet....

But when they form the V it tends to be that the first or last wheel on a Co-Co loco misses the track and becomes derailed.

I think it’s more to do with the spongy nature of the underlay but think I have come up with a solution using long upholstery pins rather than screws to keep the copper board with the track soldered onto level It could be that I'm on carpet too as the legs are adjustable which would be more stable on the wooden floor of the meet but using the pins gives a more controllable up/down movement to level the track to its neighbour.

I'm sure it will all come together but that's what the session is for to find the problems and share the knowledge.

Cheers

Steve

Personally, I think you have achieved a lot. Certainly far more than I have! (and I'm happy enough with what I have done) Forget the scenicing - it doesn't matter (I keep telling myself that)

I don't quite understand how 18mm of ply can warp so much the G clamps I have are quite substantial and might just sort it enough to run - must be damp in your flat!

This is a learning exercise anyway - even if all we learn from it is that optimism fails sometimes and we can all have a bit of a laugh as the ship sinks.

I say it so often that SWMBO is threatening to carve it on my gravestone (nice):

"At least a pessimist is frequently pleasantly surprised but an optimist is nearly always disappointed."

I don't quite understand how 18mm of ply can warp so much the G clamps I have are quite substantial and might just sort it enough to run - must be damp in your flat!

This is a learning exercise anyway - even if all we learn from it is that optimism fails sometimes and we can all have a bit of a laugh as the ship sinks.

I haven't used 18mm ply ... and as I said, some of the wood was 'recycled' anyway.

I'll try to laugh...

630-071214-CardboardBoat3-me.jpg

... and remember this video.

Are we having a bring and buy / Saturday morning swap shop / Buy and Sell LIVE type table/stage?.

Just wondering whether to bring A. some stuff to sell/swap or B. some pennies to buy?

Cheers

Steve

Are we having a bring and buy / Saturday morning swap shop / Buy and Sell LIVE type table/stage?.

Just wondering whether to bring A. some stuff to sell/swap or B. some pennies to buy?

Cheers

Steve

I hadn't thought about it but I suppose there's no reason not to amongst ourselves.  There's plenty of space :)

Well after a few days of trying I have not managed to find anyone to drive me so I guess I'm gonna have to drop out of this one :(

Really sorry to hear that.  I'll work on a revised plan and hopefully we'll get you in next time.  But let me know if a miracle happens and we can squeeze you back in :)

Ok a revised plan for the day - not quite as good as we'll need to "bodge" Woodstock Junction which is intended to be a double junction to be single on one leg but I'm sure it'll all work out.  If I get time to sort out my (now removed) problematic boards I have then I will - but I make no promises.

post-8328-0-47161900-1433923255_thumb.jpg

A - Fiddle Yard (Cromptonnut) - 12ft long, straight, single track entrance to 6 x 8ft sidings.

B - Lulworth Branch (Paul RHB) - 10ft long, single track straight section.

C - Devils Bridge Curve (Satans Goldfish) - 5ft x 5ft, single track 90 degree curve.

D - Badger’s Vale (steve-e) - 3ft single track straight section.

E - Devil’s Bridge (Satans Goldfish) - 4ft left hand S bend, single track.

F - Norden Junction - 4ft, single track 45 degree junction.

G - Kenton’s Curve (Kenton) - 4ft, single track 60 degree curve

I - Border Curve (steve-e) - 3ft, 45 degree single track curve

J - Lulworth Castle (Paul RHB) - 8ft, single track to terminus station.

K - Water Lane Bridge (Mark W) - 3ft, single track 22.5 degree curve

L - Shillingstone (GRC) - 16ft station, can be used as single or double track at either end.

M - Woodstock Junction (Mark W) - 70” x 48” 12 deg and 24 deg double track junction

O - Return to Sender (Cromptonnut) - 7ft x 11ft double track to single track double junction return loop.

Q - Devils’ Bridge Sidings (Satans Goldfish) 4ft right hand single track S bend with sidings.

R - Buffer Stop (Cromptonnut) - single buffer stop, 18” x 4”, to stop trains falling off the end.

T - Brockhole Curve (Cromptonnut) - 45 degree curve board.

Everything!

Am hoping that today I can get RTS assembled as a complete for the first time.  All the component parts have been tried individually and everything functions, so it's just a case of making sure everything functions together.

The fiddle yard module has a little work to do but that's mostly cosmetic and non essential.

If I can figure out how to overcome the estuary board's problems in time (without taking time away from the other things) that may make an appearance.

Brockhole Curve - one of my 'standby' boards - needs ballasting but apart from that it's useable as is.

4 "layout " working days to the meet. Whats everyone workng on ?

My counter says 13 - so plenty of time ...... hic

Small setback yesterday as for the first time I plugged in a DCC power supply - forced a bit of a rewire and more attention to a more tidy approach to wiring. Turned out to be a crushed bus wire and an embarrassing dry joint on a connector.

As for progress - hardly any - I'm concentrating on the todo list (or more correctly) to bring list - top of which is "sandwiches" and the legs, g-clamps, ...

I am a little concerned about the new plan - being just off Norden Junction - the "banana" sockets are on the outside of the curve fascia so not much room to play with but should be OK. If it is an issue I'll have a soldering iron at hand. Don't change anything in the plan as this is all what testing the concept is about.

You could take some banana plug extention leads - plugs one end, sockets the other.

Don't think that will solve the somewhat contrived problem (it probably is not a problem and was certainly poorly explained by me)

connector_location.jpg

mirror image at the other end. TRK to outside, AUX to inside. all sockets isolated and yes these take banana plugs (at least my Maplin labelled ones) - of course I should have taken the photo with a M-M plug lead ... doh

As it stands the sockets are in the fascia on the outside of the curve (the plugs protrude out into the sharp angle that will be made by the junction) as I said nothing really worth worrying about just silly panic mode at seeing the new plan. Even it is a problem on the day it can be sorted by a few tools.

Panic not Kenton - I've had a look at the plan and if we seem to have problems on the day, if we swap your curve and Water Lane Bridge so the branch becomes F - K - B - G - L it all fits and although Lulworth ends up nearer to the front door there's still the 5ft walkway I wanted to have to be able to get round freely without having to duck under anything.

I'm hoping this all works, I'm putting off building boards for my GWR minories layout because I'd like to know whether it's worth making it 'Dave' compatible first.

Not much left that I'm going to do to my modules for now (scenery isn't likely to happen), uncoupling ramps and buffers need adding to DBS, crude road and bridge sides might appear on DBC if I have the right off-cuts laying around. The most scenically odd looking will be DB itself as it's missing river banks......and water.....

I'm hoping this all works, I'm putting off building boards for my GWR minories layout because I'd like to know whether it's worth making it 'Dave' compatible first.

I think any future layouts I make are going to be "Dave Compatible" in some form, even if it only means I don't need to make another 12ft fiddle yard... I'll still need three more 45 degree boards if nothing else just to make it a fiddle yard to terminus, or one if I make it an L shape.

Just adding some "supplies" to our shopping for the meet - will get milk on the way there as obviously we can't get it yet.

Have I missed anything obvious, and does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to add?

1 Apple & Blackcurrant Double Strength Squash Essential Waitrose
1 Bourbon Creams Biscuits essential Waitrose
1 Custard Creams essential Waitrose
3 x 10 Insulated Cups 230ml
1 Nescafe Gold Blend Freeze Dried Instant Coffee
1 Orange Double Strength Squash Essential Waitrose
1 PG Tips Pyramid Teabags
1 x 25Plastic Cups 200ml, White
1 Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Granulated Sugar 500g

1 Plastic Dessert Spoons, White  20 per pack

Don't forget to sort your own lunches :)

Archived