Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

I have no intention of profit, fame or glory out of this.  Someone had to be the first to try and organise something, and really I'm only the facilitator and a name on a booking form.  What will make the meet a success is a bunch of random strangers turning up, clamping random modules that have never met before together, and having fun playing trains to prove (or break) a system.

Everyone having fun doing so, enjoying the day and managing to get a train from fiddle yard to the end of the layout and back without derailment or "digital shunting", is all the thanks I require.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry guys but something's happened and I don't think I'll make it next week, I know this screws things up but it's really serious and I can't see me sorting it out by next week.

I've told Nut the detail but won't be saying any more. The money stays in the pot and there will be a empty room in the local hotel. Sorry

Ok a quick look at things (as I'm away at the moment and don't have access to all the files) from the last plan on post 273 (page 11 for me) it seems like we have lost F-B-J with PaulRHB's unfortunate but understandable withdrawal, so we've effectively lost the Lulworth branch.  I'll jiggle the curved pieces (and add in Dog Tunnel, which isn't on that plan) tomorrow and probably bring the fiddle yard down to the bottom right corner to give us more space at the back of the room.

These things happen, we've all been to shows where there's been an empty table where a layout should have been, and we still have a functional setup which is the main thing.

This time next week it'll all be over and most of us will be back home probably knackered.  Where has that 6 months gone?

Been busy today doing some final work on the scenery and the stock. Fitting kadee's to some stock to provide auto uncoupling capability and improve the look. Done some test running on the main boards to try and get all the glue off the track and make sure the. Ballast is clear of the rails. Few niggles for tomorrow and then it's all into the garage ready for Saturday.

I guess the whole point of a modular system is that it is not dependent on any one module. But they seem to be dropping like flies! Mine just doesn't seem to be progressing very fast (or as fast as I expected) but it is still intending to be there in a working (G-clamps at the ready) but scenically unattractive state. I'll just be happy on the day if it connects with 2 other modules and someone can run a train from end to end.

We all get an award for attending to attach to our modules they arrived yesterday. :sungum:

I got 20 of them incase there's a last rush of modules wanting to attend... there will be now as there's bling on offer..

post-12740-0-18365000-1434933184.jpg

Look good against black.

post-12740-0-62214600-1434933183.jpg

Looking forward to Saturday.

Steve

:locomotive:

We all get an award for attending to attach to our modules they arrived yesterday. :sungum:

There's nice clap.gifclap.gif

But the words "inaugural" "first" "trail-blazer" "experimental" "foolhardy" might have added a touch of realism :D

Are we expected to wear ID badges ... after all we are a little anonymous in our RMWeb guises. And many folk will not recognise me from my RMWeb image fingersineasr.jpg

Also do we have a system for blocking gatecrashers on the door (I have experience) :D

As the meeting venue has only been provided to those who are coming, we shouldn't have too much hassle.  My wife will be hanging around (or going to visit her sister who lives nearby) and there may be one or two members of staff from the venue dropping by.  I don't envisage any real trouble.

I was going to bring some stickers so we can put our name (RMWeb name and/or real name, as we wish) so we can remember who is who although I'm sure this is the start of something regular :)

Pray for good weather...

• RMweb Gold

I thought you might have opened up the meet to other members from the area. This would possibly provide more hands for moving and lifting, spare operators, but not least attract more modulers. It's a bit far for me, but I'd like to have been able to visit.

I thought you might have opened up the meet to other members from the area. This would possibly provide more hands for moving and lifting, spare operators, but not least attract more modulers. It's a bit far for me, but I'd like to have been able to visit.

I have only had one enquiry from a member from the area about attending as a guest but no module.  I've advertised it on my signature for months, and generally have had little interest apart from the 10 that originally submitted modules (with two last minute drop-outs for understandable reasons).  We've also got several people coming from "outside of the SECAG area" already as part of this meet - it was never going to be "just" SECAG area members anyway.

You can lead a horse, etc etc.

I knew from day 1 that this would be quite small, as people are still very wary about the modular concept as to many UK modellers it's something "people that model foreign railways" do.  I hope that with the write-up and a good selection of pictures it will generate some interest, and we'll consider it enough of a success to try it within our area either towards the end of this year or more likely early 2016 - maybe same venue or a different area.  It may also encourage someone else to organise something within their area.

Unfortunately "paying guests" are a problem, partly because the meets themselves do not really lend themselves well to spectators as there could be an hour of nothing working whilst we trace a fault (remember this is our first meet after all) and there are issues with the venue itself as closed members only events are a different price bracket to anything that is open to the wider public - and we certainly don't want it to be considered as an 'exhibition' by any stretch.

Besides I don't want spectators - the raucous laughter from other module owners will be bad enough as my legs collapse and everything falls on the floor. But at least there might be some sympathy as it could just as well happen to them.

I always think the numbers "volunteering" is typical of several ventures on RMWeb (challenges etc) No matter how much someone bangs the drum most are very cautious of making any commitment. Even more so when nothing is proven and its a newish concept.

Although I have half heartedly built one very incomplete module, I still see it as experimental and have held back on other ideas and completing it. The event may be a complete disaster and maybe everyone there may take an instant dislike to me ;) but I'm currently thinking it might be a bit of fun and a pleasant way to spend a Saturday. Small steps, if it is seen as a success then it could well grow to become more popular, other regional events and even open to a wider group of RMWeb members and even the the public. It does need at least one member to step up and bring it all together (Thanks, 'nut) and we are not all so experienced, willing or even able to that.

Perhaps "going public" should be advanced as part of an established show - with a room/hall set aside for modular? The next Warner's show perhaps? But these shows are organised years in advance and so "new" incomplete modules will be difficult to justify.

Rome wasn't built in a day but Pompey was destroyed in an instant.

I must admit I've always envisaged our little area meets as 'invite only' (although open to any RMWeb member) to anyone who's got a module and is able to get to wherever our meets happen to be.  I'd tend to agree that the "public" meets would probably be at least a year away and in one of the BRM exhibitions even if only as a 'demonstration'.  But that would be down to Andy Y or some other member of the BRM team to be responsible for that - not me!

I know "people travel" but for me a full weekend away somewhere plus two nights (minimum) hospitality and perhaps even some associated time off work would most definitely be a major undertaking and not something I would want to do without some serious thought.

So for now, let's keep it small and fun sized :)

Archived