Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

Ok, I have a problem - does anyone have an electric saw (small, jigsaw type thing)?

I realised that I needed to cut a few more bits of wood to make my leg sockets on three remaining boards on RTS.

Just starting to cut the pieces, and bang, the saw is dead.

I can't get to anywhere tonight to get a new one, and tomorrow is leaving it very, very late particularly as I still have to sort out all the other bits and pack the car up.

Does anyone have a small saw that they can bring along, that I can run an extension lead outside with and cut up the bits needed to make the sockets (should be about 12 cuts altogether) and hopefully between us we can assemble them in the morning before things run.

Otherwise, RTS will have to stay behind leaving me the fiddle yard, Dog Tunnel and Brockhole Curve as my only contributions.

Frustrated beyond belief, and words fail me ...  the timing is just brilliant.

Thankyou SG.  I will try to remember to remind you.

Might be useful to have a backup just in case, if anyone else has one...

RTS is a mess, frankly - little to no scenic work complete - and I've never managed to actually test the whole thing although the parts seem to work well enough.  I'm really quite nervous about it...

I'll add mine to the packing list as well ... just in case ... but won't it make a mess?

Just remember - measure twice and cut once ... and the bad example I set by cutting my leg wrongly.

It'll be fine, scenery is a non requirement at this stage and if each is working individually then you're in the same boat as each module anyway ;)

I don't think anyone's going to mind if bits don't work, this is proof of concept afterall and nothing's perfect first time....... apart from me of course.

I'll add mine to the packing list as well ... just in case ... but won't it make a mess?

Yes, which is why I was going to run an extension lead outside so we can cut it on the grass - a bit of sawdust in the grass won't make a difference but I really don't want to have to do any more cleaning inside than necessary.  We'll have to give the hall a sweep through anyway of course but that shouldn't be a problem as nothing else is likely to make a mess.

It'll be fine, scenery is a non requirement at this stage and if each is working individually then you're in the same boat as each module anyway ;)

I don't think anyone's going to mind if bits don't work, this is proof of concept afterall and nothing's perfect first time....... apart from me of course.

To a degree you are right, and scenery is no big deal - however it would have been nice to have been able to complete a bit more of the scenery and finish painting the sides of the boards.

Looking at Felix's thread even though it's a lot bigger than ours will be there were still a number of "under construction" boards there which was an encouragement.  But I must finish these before I start messing about thinking of more boards to build even though I know I need to make some bigger units.

Yes, which is why I was going to run an extension lead outside so we can cut it on the grass

Anyone know the local advanced weather warning?

scenery is no big deal - however it would have been nice to have been able to complete a bit more of the scenery and finish painting the sides of the boards.

I have a dream ...

Right.  Change of plan.   RTS is not coming.

Part of it which I was working on has fallen over and ripped up three of four rails, and I have neither the time nor the inclination to rush around like a headless chicken at this late stage trying to rectify the outstanding problems as well as this which is the straw that broke the camel's back really.  The irony?  It fell over and ripped the rails up whilst I was waiting for the soldering iron to heat up, so I could solder them to copperclad to prevent this happening.

I should have taken a few days off of work to ensure everything was ready in time but unfortunately life rather threw me a curve ball and - I probably haven't mentioned this as it wasn't really relevant at the time - I am being made redundant and my last day at work is next Wednesday so I felt I couldn't really take the time especially as I had no spare holiday for thus far in the year.

This relieves a lot of pressure on me - although it does rather remove a lot of the enjoyment factor that would have been possible with the double track loop.  Unfortunately my ambitions outweigh my capabilities.

I still have the fiddle yard, and the curve and tunnel sections which - after all - still achieve the testing required to make sure that everything works.

I'll put together a new floor plan - this'll be about version 20 - and we'll still have fun although in a smaller manner and still get about 60ft from fiddle yard to end.

Won't need that saw after all.

Really sorry to hear about the job.

Everything else seems somehow inconsequential by comparison.

Have always thought you were trying to achieve too much for a first meet with all the organisation as well.

It will still work out even if we have to spend an hour moving things around and playing jigsaw on the day, who knows maybe none of the modules will connect, and we all go home at lunch time.

The important thing is to give it all a go.

and good luck with the job hunting.

I'll bring the jig-saw anyway It might be needed to cut up a module into small fire-kindling-sized-pieces ;)

Look how diminutive we once started:

f32t2262p19821n5.jpg

The pair of tracks to the right are the two running lines, so in effect we had only the space to turnaround a two coach DMU/EMU. Not comfy at all!

You will do better in each case. Good luck and have fun.

If you need cups, I have a box of double-insulated ones at home. Even though I can't make it on the day, the local 16mm group are meeting there tomorrow evening, so I could leave a tube or two of 25 cups each on the stage for you. It saves you buying any/extra and they can be on sale or return, meaning I get back what's not used. Let me know before 7pm tomorrow?

Ok well I have piles today - no, not the Boris type but stacks of boards, legs, bolts, cables and other assorted detritus ready for loading the car up tonight and tomorrow morning.  The only thing I haven't got yet is milk which I'll get on the way there, and I'm now at the stage where it's too late to do anything else that isn't done.

But I can't stop fiddling with the layout... I keep finding better configurations and more tweaks and ... if I could only finish off that board ... and aaarrrggghhh!

I wonder if all modular meets end up like this?

PS - don't forget to bring your cameras, and a charger if you are planning to operate wirelessly (which I have tried and it did work the last time I tried it - hopefully it'll work tomorrow).  Also remember your lunch!

Tomorrow is going to be a groundbreaking day as the inaugural Dave modular meet.  Let's hope for good weather - although I do have a very large fan I intend to pack as well in case it gets a bit warm and stuffy in there.

I'm probably in a similar place only smaller piles - phew.... Just awaiting my dad to come with his car as it's slightly larger than my Citroën c1 and a bit more comfortable.

The plan is to travel A66 then down A1 as recommended by Eddie Stobart finest rather than run the gauntlet of the M6 on a Friday afternoon.

Base Camp will be around Luton then drop down around the M25 early tomorrow.

Looking forward to the trip down aswell as tomorrow.

Steve

Steve, if you're coming round the M25 you should be taken anticlockwise via Heathrow - if coming off via J8 it'll probably take you through some back roads which can be a bit ... challenging to the uninitiated.

If anyone (SG plus others?) are going via the Dartford Crossing don't forget you cannot pay the toll at the bridge any more but have to do it online - https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

Archived