Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

My proposed Narwich modules will technically hav a double track line with a single track branching off on one of them, but that's a long way off so no chance by June! I suspect I will be track laid and running in short order on my current 3 modules, but don't hold your breath on scenery.

I think the 'fear' is, single track is easy to lay to the board edge, however double adds in an extra 2 rails at each end that need to be correctly aligned. I know the Peco tool is out there, but you don't have to be off by much to make yourself incompatible. That's the psychological hurdle I need to get past before doing bigger modules.

An understandable fear but easily overcome with a 20p plastic tool - and of course OO is fairly forgiving if you happen to be a fraction of a mm out.  If the tool is used I don't think we'll have too many problems that a little resoldering couldn't fix on the day.

My "big station" has no hope of being ready by June - it'll be a struggle enough to get my "Return to Sender" functional in time although I do hope to try and get at least some of it scenicked by then.

There will be enough of us there with enough ideas to overcome most problems that may occur on the day, and "fixing the problems to make it work" is all part of the fun I think.

The key thing will be my (or someone's) single to double junction; at the end of the day if someone's straight 4ft double track module is so "out" it just can't be made to work, then we just remove it and shuffle everything up.

We're all heading into this blind and clueless.  It's fun, isn't it?

This is all about seeing if you like the idea and if you can work with total strangers. The suggestion that the modular concept needs proving is a bit presumptuous, as there are many clubs already using modules, isn't it? ;)

Perhaps, but "modular" is very new to many of us as it tends to have previously been confined to those modelling overseas prototypes.

Agreed, I'd never say the modular concept as a whole needs proving (other clubs and countries have done it many times before) but this dysfunctional group (hi guys!) Working to these 'Dave' standards haven't tried it before. We're still at a point where Andy Y has decreed us some nice simple standards but as far as I'm aware none of us have yet tested them in anger.

• RMweb Gold

Well technically we have as they are closely based on the US group standard by Martyn and the RS lads. They've done several and I've been to two meets ;)

One of the things with the initial monster thread was the number of people looking for problems that don't really exist.

The only problems we encountered were temporary ones with the control bus caused either by shorts when people ran into points or the very long runs which made the signal a bit iffy at the extremities. As the layout gets bigger it's something to consider with all the connectors involved so it may be worth having some long bigger bus leads eventually that can jump a cleaner signal past three or four modules to ensure a clean signal to modules beyond.

We could do with a passing loop (a station would go well with this) otherwise we may only end up with one train moving at a time.

I think all these variants will come in due course as the "idea" evolves and gains some momentum.

I still see this "meet" as being a proof of concept rather than some mega plan of a railway.

For me, I need to be convinced:

1. Diverse modules can be connected together:

a - having been built by more than one member,

b - a continuous single track,

c - a double track join.

2. DCC actually works for the concept.

3. We can all come away having learned something.

4. The meet does not degenerate into an argument about who won the latest sporting trophy.

5. I can endure a day of model railways and still remain focussed.

My expectations are low but achievable. I hoe that I will come away encouraged to build more modules and possibly more complex and useful ones. Maybe even ones with scenery.

Sure, others in other parts have done something similar (but with onerous standards) but I am yet to be convinced. I believe in the concept but cannot help being a sceptic.

Indeed Kenton, there's nothing I can disagree with in that list.  The main aim of our meeting has always been to "prove the concept", in that a group of misfits who have never been involved in anything "modular" before can come together with our bits of the puzzle and make something work.

It won't be an intensive timetable day, it won't be fully efficient, but hopefully we can come away at the end saying "yep, that was fun, that worked, when's the next one"?

If we can get one train to go round the entire layout and back to the fiddle yard without "the hand of God" being involved - then to me the day is a success and anything else is a bonus.

As long as the tracks align up and the wiring works, and track is all at roughly the same height, to me that's what really matters.

Nut

Can we have a list of those that are coming with a high level summary of their modules ?

Something like

name rmweb. Module Length Summary

Gavin (grc) Shillingstone 16 feet Double track or single with passing loops

Be good to understand the active and committed vs the interested

Thanks Gavin.....

Can we have a list of those that are coming with a high level summary of their modules ?

This is the list of confirmed modules so far from people that have 1) paid, and 2) returned their forms.  Five more people have requested forms but have not returned them yet although I know of at least two of them are working on things but haven't confirmed yet.  My boards marked ** below will come if there is room in the car and the hall; they are not critical in any way.  St Cleves Junction won't come if there is another suitable single to double track submitted.  These boards are currently incomplete but will be prioritised as required for completion in time.

Cromptonnut

Fiddle yard module - single track entrance, dead end.  12ft long x 18" straight.

Return to Sender - double track entrance, single track return loop.  Approx 11ft long x 7ft wide footprint.

River Bridge - single track to single track, straight.  4ft x 18".  **

St Cleves Junction - single track to double track converter board, straight.  4ft x 18".

Estuary Bridge - double track to double track, straight.  4ft x 18". **

Kenton

Kenton's Curve - single track to single track, 60 degree curve section.  Approx 5ft x 3ft footprint.

Steve-E

Badger's Vale - single track to single track, straight.  3ft x 18".

Border Curve - single track to single track, 45 degree curve.  Approx 3ft x 2ft footprint.

As I said, there are 5 more people who have asked for forms but not yet returned them - and that'll be enough to make the meeting viable.  Still need the forms back even if the intention is to turn up anyway :)

What would be really useful would be a junction - single on all sides is fine - if someone would like to volunteer :)  Or should I make that a priority for me?

What would be really useful would be a junction - single on all sides is fine - if someone would like to volunteer :)  Or should I make that a priority for me?

Although it would be a nice to have as ajunction does increase interest and potentially more operating variables, I do not see it as essential for the "proof of concept".

I think your priority should be on the "Return to Sender" as this will effectively double the operating length, as well as introducing the complexity of bi-direction. In effect it is a junction of sorts going into single track.

• RMweb Gold

Got to say guys I really hope this works well.

We had similar concerns with the SWAG modules prior to the first set up and a few issues on the day, but were successful in running trains on two tracks from end to end.

I like the idea of a loose end to one of the tracks, this should overcome any track-distance issues, and the G-clamps to hold the boards will overcome the height ones.

Actually, I can't see how you won't be successful.

Edit: One further thought: you need to make sure the rails reach to the exact end of the boards - too short and they won't be able to join, too long and you'll need packing between the board ends.

Although it would be a nice to have as ajunction does increase interest and potentially more operating variables, I do not see it as essential for the "proof of concept".

I think your priority should be on the "Return to Sender" as this will effectively double the operating length, as well as introducing the complexity of bi-direction. In effect it is a junction of sorts going into single track.

I need to make six more sets of legs (I have the wood, just need to cut it) and wire up some terminal blocks.  I'm also working installing on the point motors (using the Minx ones) and actually can get away with two pairs of switches as it's effectively two crossovers that operate as independent pairs rather than four individual points.  I am confident that RTS will be wired and possibly even partly scenicked as well - two have the station, one has an overbridge and the other 5 are just plain open fields.  I can cover a lot of ground with the static grass machine in an evening (which reminds me, I need to do the one with the reverse loop module on it before I wire it all up as I don't want to fry it...

Actually, I can't see how you won't be successful.

The only way to not succeed is not enough people committing in time - I'll need to pay the hall hire fees soon :)

Everything else we can work around on the day.

• RMweb Gold

As I said, there are 5 more people who have asked for forms but not yet returned them - and that'll be enough to make the meeting viable. Still need the forms back even if the intention is to turn up anyway :)

I'll do one as I've planned one and it fits with my little branch station nicely ;)

Lulworth is now up and sort of ready although I'm having issues with the Minx motors as they are needing re calibrating every time it moves as they go out of adjustment and I've had one fail tonight!

Back to the good ole wire in tube and Tortoise!

Forms are just waiting for me to finalise plans on the other boards. I'm playing with a mini module system, the ends fit the standard but the boards are 6 or possibly 8 inches wide so I can fit a longer run of them in my car. They are flexible in set up and act as a full mini beach line with Lulworth or another set of modules attached either end. At present looks like I can do four straight and two curved plus fit Lulworth and a junction in too. I'll have my final decision and cheque in the way hopefully next week as I've been busy with getting two layouts ready for this weekends show ;)

Good to hear of progress - especially with the "ingenious thin bits" which make a longer run possible as well as a convenient "duck under" (I had been contemplating one of these myself but don't need to now :) )

Very pleased to hear of a junction as well - that'll make life easier.

I also had a thought - if we don't mind not aligning the boards any double can be used as a single with a dead track on it, so if all else fails my "RTS" module could be connected to a single line and a set of buffer stops sorts out the other line.

Looking forward to following everyone's progress - we will make this work :)

• RMweb Gold

This is what I'll be bringing :) Forms are done and found the chequebook so that should be in the post tomorrow. I should add that the junction will allow a board of just over 18inch width to join on the diverging line with a flat scenic plate hiding the gap at the side to accomodate boards slightly over width.

I may even get some corners done too but we will see how time goes.

post-6968-0-51637700-1429702700_thumb.jpg

They can be as crude as you want - but not in a Boris sort of way.

As long as I've got an idea of dimensions and whether they're single or double track at each end, and a vague idea of what is what, then it should work ok.  In most cases I would expect our modules to be vaguely similar in appearance anyway, it won't be like the US where you might have a desert module next to a lush forest next to a city next to a deep ravine.

Although I'm sure someone will come along and point me to google maps and explain exactly where that happens...

Ok just a little encouragement for everyone as to our progress so far.

Nine people have asked for forms, and 4 have returned them so far.

We have the following modules intended to arrive

Cromptonnut

Fiddle Yard (12ft) - 6 roads approx. 8ft long for storage.

Return to Sender - 7ft x 11ft "return loop" with junction and small station.

Plus 4 more "boards in progress" that could be made useable if the need arises to complete things.

Kenton

Kenton's Curve - 5ft x 3ft o/s 60 degree curve

Steve-e

Badgers Vale - 3ft straight

Border Curve - 3ft x 2ft 45 degree curve

PaulRHB

Lulworth Branch - 10ft straight

Norden Junction - single track with 45 degree branch junction

Lulworth Castel - 8ft terminus station

I believe we're at a stage where we are more or less viable - looking forward to receiving more forms back :)  I know from discussions that others have things in progress but haven't yet sent forms back so I think if everything materialises we may need to consider moving to a larger room (although that would cost more the additional members attending would make that a viable option).  But it's in the same location so it wouldn't make a jot of difference overall to the day itself.

Archived