Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

Thought it would be good to update the list and keep everything in one place with links

Cromptonnut

Fiddle Yard (12ft) - 6 roads approx. 8ft long for storage. LINK

Return to Sender - 7ft x 11ft "return loop" with junction and small station. LINK

Linwell St Cleve Junction - 4ft long, single track to double track junction board.

Brockhole Curve - 4ft (ish) 45 degree single track curve.

Plus several more "boards in progress" that could be made useable if the need arises to complete things.

Kenton

Kenton's Curve - 5ft x 3ft o/s 60 degree curve LINK

Steve-e

Badgers Vale - 3ft straight LINK

Border Curve - 3ft x 2ft 45 degree curve LINK

PaulRHB

Lulworth Branch - 10ft straight LINK

Norden Junction - single track with 45 degree branch junction LINK

Lulworth Castle - 8ft terminus station LINK

GRC

Shillingstone - 16ft straight station LINK

Satans Goldfish

Devil's Bridge - LH "s" bend over a river bridge LINK (to all modules)

Devi.'s Bridge sidings - RH "s" bend with two short sidings

Devil's Bridge Curve - 90 degree curve

Not yet - I'm going to wait until the deadline date as I still have 5 enquiries that haven't sent forms back yet, and that may well change everything.

But certainly it'll be fiddle yard to "return to sender", with a junction somewhere in the middle.  We have three stations if you include the one on RTS that is likely to be fairly bare at the time of the meet unless I pull my finger out, plus your sidings somewhere on the way.

At some point I'll work on another single to double converter which would then mean we have the option of a passing loop, but the boards could also be used individually if required.

Technically I already have one so a second one shouldn't be too much hassle - I have several spare points that could be used as well.  They could go either side of a double track corner module that I am thinking of, to make a loop, or they could also  be used with other people's double track boards in the middle to extend.  I already have one quite suitable double track module I can use anyway so that would give about a 15ft passing loop - more than enough.

I need to dig out some bits from the woodpile as I'm pretty sure I have enough pieces to make another board...

Not yet - I'm going to wait until the deadline date as I still have 5 enquiries that haven't sent forms back yet, and that may well change everything.

But certainly it'll be fiddle yard to "return to sender", with a junction somewhere in the middle.  We have three stations if you include the one on RTS that is likely to be fairly bare at the time of the meet unless I pull my finger out, plus your sidings somewhere on the way.

At some point I'll work on another single to double converter which would then mean we have the option of a passing loop, but the boards could also be used individually if required.

Technically I already have one so a second one shouldn't be too much hassle - I have several spare points that could be used as well.  They could go either side of a double track corner module that I am thinking of, to make a loop, or they could also  be used with other people's double track boards in the middle to extend.  I already have one quite suitable double track module I can use anyway so that would give about a 15ft passing loop - more than enough.

I need to dig out some bits from the woodpile as I'm pretty sure I have enough pieces to make another board...

Quite a sizeable amount from just a few of us there. I have similar thoughts on that last point when I look at my pile of spares and timber, I know I'm supposed to be saving it for other things but if I spend too much more time off work more basic modules may come forth!

It will be good to put faces to unusual names (and see if the back of Kenton's head really looks like that).

If you're seriously looking at something else to do, a 30 degree corner (that can go with Kenton's Curve) that would be quite a helpful task.  Doesn't need to be a single board, could be a wide radius 3 x 10 degree boards to make a passing loop capable of holding an 8 coach train :)

With only one module with no scenery as yet (life is getting in the way as usual) I do feel like I am undercontribuing. Heh, but oe is better than none and I keep telling myself te aesthetics just do not matter for now. As long as it connects and trains can roll through (with eyes closed) I will deem it a success.

Just need to sort out my disguise and those legs.

Certainly not Kenton - any and all modules - even one - that work are a welcome part of our overall fun.  As stated from day 1, this is a 'proof of concept' meet that a bunch of random strangers can get together and make something work by following a set of standards that we've probably all misinterpreted in different ways.

If you want to build a tunnel with a windmill on top ... be our guest :)

On the question of passing loops Shillingstone the prototype is on a single track part of the line with a passing loop on the down side (Long Platform Side). The Passing loop had sidings at each end capable of taking a 12 coach train if I recall correctly. What I have done with the modules is take both of those sidings to the end of each module which allows them to either connect to a double track module and use the station as a two track station or they can be fitted with buffers and used as sidings as per the prototype. I suspect we will want mainly single track for the day which is fine as there is then a reasonable amount of storage at the station and a 5-6 foot passing loop for passing. The sidings alas are a maximum of 4 feet at that point and will have some type of to be acquired buffer fitted if required.

post-12201-0-54287000-1430250783_thumb.jpg

Of course a double track can be used to join to a single track (other trackwork permitting its usefulness of course) simply by offsetting the join by about an inch.

Just to check, although on your plan above the track curves at the ends, I assume that it's 90 degrees to the end of the board on the actual thing to allow easy connection to adjacent boards?

Not yet entirely clear whether it would be best as a single track or double track module - I am still board-shuffling but the flexibility that yours enables would be quite helpful :)

• RMweb Gold

With only one module with no scenery as yet (life is getting in the way as usual) I do feel like I am undercontribuing. Heh, but oe is better than none and I keep telling myself te aesthetics just do not matter for now. As long as it connects and trains can roll through (with eyes closed) I will deem it a success.

Anything that adds track is a bonus and if it was all just track it would still prove the concept.

298 took a short two foot board with plain track to the US meet and it has a road crossing with lights and it was very popular yet the smallest there.

I'm not guaranteeing anything but the already finished Lulworth will be sceniced ;)

At the moment the arrangement looks like it is going to be two distinct routes thanks to PaulRHB's junction module.

- the "out and back" route (via my Return to Sender module) being 70ft from fiddle yard to end and back again

- branch route (ending at Lulworth Castle) being about 50ft fiddle yard to terminus.

The "out and back" route via the loop of RTS works out at about a 3.5 scale mile run from FY to FY.  I don't think that's too shabby for a first run, do you?

• RMweb Gold

Certainly sounds promising though another junction would be useful to open up routes. I'm hoping to get the main wood cut later next week as I have a day off and can then hopefully knock up the basic boards the following week.

As it stands, another junction may make things more difficult as at the moment we have a fairly good roomful (of course subject to change).  The gaps either side of the middle branch are around 6ft and I don't think I'd really want to go much tighter than that, to be honest.  But if someone offers one, I'll find a way to use it :)  Branches don't have to be 30ft long, of course, they can just as easily be a single module and a terminator (which reminds me, must make one of those).

post-8328-0-87063600-1430289161_thumb.jpg

Sorry you can't really read anything on it (this is just a screengrab rather than a detailed plan) but more information will be sent to all participants nearer the time together with the arrangement of how things go together just to make sure I haven't misinterpreted anyone's intentions.  It'll also show where power points etc are.

• RMweb Gold

Note to all that Lulworth only takes max three coach trains and can only runround two, branch trains will have to be marshalled accordingly and if you take three make sure there's a freight loco down there to shunt release you ;) I'll bring a push pull or diesel unit anyway.

No doubt we'll have a mix of stock anyway on the day but hopefully we'll have more than enough long and short trains to accommodate things.  Plus if you notice the plan, Devils Bridge Sidings are on the way to Lulworth Castle and if we put the pointwork facing Lulworth rather than the main, any trains using the siding will have to run to the end of the branch to turn round anyway.  That pretty much ought to solve most problems - failing that, we can probably justify stationing a shunter there.  I've got a chipped Hornby Sentinel that currently has no other function as I haven't built the modules that it'll go with yet...

Interesting stuff, shows the way different minds work, I'd imagined RTS would be the 'end' and the line running out and branching to either Lulworth or the fiddle yard. But that's just me!

Just a suggestion (feel free to ignore) but to avoid as much as possible anything that may cause an issue, I can't see what the name of the curve is next DB Sidings but would it be worth swapping the locations of that Curve and DBS around to remove an S bend over a board joint? You'd still end up with Lulworth facing the same way, just a little to the left. Or swap the straight the otherside of DBS with DBS to create a straight section before the curve?

One thing I always remember from LGB setting up advice is never go from a left curve to a right curve without a straight inbetween other wise derailments are likely. HTH

SG, the 45 degree curve "south" of your sidings is one of my boards which is a plain curve, but swapping round it if I've interpreted your thoughts correctly makes no difference spacewise.  It would also put your sidings in the location of the exchange sidings before Furzebrook oil terminal on the Swanage branch.

post-8328-0-02576700-1430292254.jpg

There are also options to "flip" the plan so, as you say, trains go out and round RTS then branch off somewhere but that'd take some replanning.  I'm not sure whether to go down the "I've organised it and this is the plan" route which is easiest, or give out some options to participants and end up with people disappointed that "their ideas" weren't implemented. 

...never go from a left curve to a right curve without a straight in between other wise derailments are likely. HTH

This is why most modular specs require all modules to have a short length of straight at the end of the module.

Archived