Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

I'm not sure whether to go down the "I've organised it and this is the plan" route which is easiest, or give out some options to participants and end up with people disappointed that "their ideas" weren't implemented.

I'm bereft of ideas and quite happy that someone else takes all the credit.

Of course if that doesn't work we could always be democratic and each have a vote! But I'm also rather sick to the teeth of all this "democracy" nonsense at the moment.

Politics? Careful now...

Incidently Kenton, your 60 degree curve is quite handy because it enables us to go into the corner and then bend it back towards the centre a bit (making a 120 degree corner...) meaning a bit longer run along the back wall for "RTS" to fit better.

• RMweb Gold

There are also options to "flip" the plan so, as you say, trains go out and round RTS then branch off somewhere but that'd take some replanning. I'm not sure whether to go down the "I've organised it and this is the plan" route which is easiest, or give out some options to participants and end up with people disappointed that "their ideas" weren't implemented.

A bit of dictatorship is sometimes necessary ;) we need decisions and as you've made the effort to organise it I think that qualifies you nicely :)

SG, the 45 degree curve "south" of your sidings is one of my boards which is a plain curve, but swapping round it if I've interpreted your thoughts correctly makes no difference spacewise. It would also put your sidings in the location of the exchange sidings before Furzebrook oil terminal on the Swanage branch.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

There are also options to "flip" the plan so, as you say, trains go out and round RTS then branch off somewhere but that'd take some replanning. I'm not sure whether to go down the "I've organised it and this is the plan" route which is easiest, or give out some options to participants and end up with people disappointed that "their ideas" weren't implemented.

I'd say treat it as dictatorship. You've gone to the effort of organising this so what you say is what happens. If you like you could say 'I'm happy to hear your thoughts, if they're good I may consider them, but don't get pissed if I don't act on them.' That's always worked for me anyway.

Edit: is that location for DBS a good thing? Do I need to bring oil tankers?!

Hi ladies, gentlemen and Demonic pets...

Just got back from measuring up the hall - I thought my measurements were a bit out.

The useable space is larger than I had calculated - we're looking at about 70ft x 45ft  edge to edge although there are some tables and chairs along the walls which means we need to leave walkways etc around the outside.

post-8328-0-94215200-1430329552_thumb.jpg

There are twin power sockets in each corner plus a pair on the stage that are accessible (there are others but be my guest if you want to move 20 stage blocks and 100 chairs...) and I'll be bringing a couple of extension leads but if your board needs power please bring along a reel (10m should be fine for most of us.  To the left of the stage is a small kitchen that has a hot water urn, microwave and fridge, and ladies toilets.  To the right of the stage are the gentlemans facilities.

Plenty of parking right outside the hall with just a step or two - so no real distance to carry anything, and they are big double doors so will be more than large enough to fit any of our boards in.

Now I have the right dimensions I'm going to redraw the plan, as I think I can make a better use of the space we have with the boards currently available (and awaiting two responses so there may be more yet).

But not necessarily tonight... I still have my "RTS" boards taking over half the living room and I keep getting "the look" from SWMBO...

Oh good, plenty of space and seats to sit around while everyone else panics as they devise ways to get G-clamps and bananas to work. A bit worried about trailing leads being a trip hazard, especially on that shiny floor. Will they disapprove of duck taping them down?

I expect that we wouldn't be able to duct tape anything down but just be careful of where we step - I'm looking at ways of restricting walkways around the outer edge as much as possible and having space in the middle.

I would expect that, until the first train runs, everyone is "hands on" helping each other manhandle things into position.  The sooner we get things running, the better - more time to play trains :)

I've purchased another (I have one on Bankside) Lenz LA152 panel http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/Manuals/la152adaptor.pdf but haven't fitted it yet.

Now I can rob the one off Bankside as that's currently not coming so I can have two but do you want.

a. One either side of Badgers Vale.

b. One on Badgers Vale and one on Border Curve.

c. One either side of Border Curve.

d. Dont fit them just bring them and we can use them dangling free.

If b. do you want it on the inner side or outer side of the curved board?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, what I was planning on doing (because they could be needed either side at any location depending on the configuration of the day) with the three I own, was to not fit them to anything but "drawing pin" them to the side of the board(s) where appropriate.

Unless we modify the standard that all boards must have a panel either side (which, let's face it, adding £30 to the cost of every module, particularly if it's only 3ft long) which I think is a bit overkill.

Which reminds me ... we need cables to connect the patch panels...

Unless we modify the standard that all boards must have a panel either side (which, let's face it, adding £30 to the cost of every module, particularly if it's only 3ft long) which I think is a bit overkill.

Let's be a little clearer on this.

Why are they required? In what circumstances do they add to the module?

I simply cannot see how they are justified for a simple straight section of track. Surely the only requirement is already in the spec: A track bus from end to end; a "bannana" type socket for each bus wire at/close to the ends; and, provision of 4 (or 2 paired) jumper leads with "bannana" type plugs.

I can see the "need" on a larger module such as a FY or station or where the operation is more complicated (RTS)? Basically where it is likeley that more than one loco will be operating or an operator will managing traffic.

In a roundabout way Kenton we are sayng the same thing. Agree that a patch panel is useful where things are happening but not for plain boards.

The only concern is having enough control bus leads to go between patch panels although hopefully I will have wireless via JMRI working. I am going to order a couple later just to be safe unless I summon the courage to buy a kit to make my own.

On a modular layout it is traditional to follow your train so you have good visibility and control of it, to that end you had to be able to plug your controller in near to your train, and that is why most modular specs define that modules over 4' long must have a controller plug-in point.

Technology has moved on and it might be worth just going all out for wi-fi control from the start so that all expenditure can be targeted on wWi-Fi handsets and not spent on sockets and cabling that will see little use.

• RMweb Gold

I can supply a couple of wifi handsets to use and anyone with a smartphone or tablet can download the app. To be in the safe side though I'd suggest having both as we had a major failure of the wifi due to a laptop issue at the US Exeter meet and if a nearby venue has powerful wifi it could wipe ours out ;)

What cables and connections are they as a mate who does computer networks can make up various patch cables etc for cost price and I'm happy to get some done in time if you can specify length, connectors and how they need wiring. He's just made up a pile of short ones for a friends DC layout for carrying some accessory power at joints.

I think the bigger issue is we allow any DCC system rather than others that tie participan to a specific manufacturer.

That debate, and wifi or cabled, are probably better held in the main modular discussions rather than here.

I've looked at the cost of bits and it was cheaper to order from Digitrains. 3 x 10m and a 15m coming next week.

In other news, I think RTS has too much still needed for now to be ready so I am going to withdraw that for June and finish a couple of simpler half built boards I already have that fit together to make a 12ft module.

I'm off work a while longer yet, do you want me to see if I can create another 'end'? Can't promise anything but I do have a redundant 18ft long DCC wired fiddle yard in my garage (or 6ft, or 12ft, what ever is easiest) that should be 'Dave' convertable.

Archived