Kit Build - LRM LMS 2P 0-4-4T (P4)

I have just had a test run with my new bogie pickup solution (as noted in post #68) and this works a treat.  There is a bit of a collision issue at present between the brake hanger and the coupling rod, so that's the next area to fettle, and then I will crack on with some more detailing.  The last few weeks have been pretty hectic, and the next few are similarly chaotic, but there is the potential of a small window of opportunity this weekend so hopefully I can make and document some progress!

Hi there,

any chance of pics of your bogie plunger arrangement?

regards,

martin

• Like 1

Evening All,

Apologies for the delay - I was aiming to do this on Thursday but a long weekend in Wales sprung up.  I was also hoping to show the bits of the body that dimensionally arent right, but that will have to wait for another post...

post-130-0-91833800-1455571985_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-16680400-1455571993_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-97396900-1455572000_thumb.jpg

I think the photos should be fairly self explanatory - the only problem with this method, coupled with the 3 point bogie - is that it is a bit more rigid than I would hope, and the body does move a bit more with the bogie than I would like.  If both bogie sideframes were free to pivot it would be better, but finidng a way to secondary spring it would be good.  Overall I am please with it though. It is much freer to pivot without the pickup wires tethering it, and it is easier to remove and refit should maintenance, painting, or taking photos be required!

• Like 2

Evening All,

Apologies for the delay - I was aiming to do this on Thursday but a long weekend in Wales sprung up.  I was also hoping to show the bits of the body that dimensionally arent right, but that will have to wait for another post...

attachicon.gif20160215_210924small.jpg

attachicon.gif20160215_210931small.jpg

attachicon.gif20160215_210940small.jpg

I think the photos should be fairly self explanatory - the only problem with this method, coupled with the 3 point bogie - is that it is a bit more rigid than I would hope, and the body does move a bit more with the bogie than I would like.  If both bogie sideframes were free to pivot it would be better, but finidng a way to secondary spring it would be good.  Overall I am please with it though. It is much freer to pivot without the pickup wires tethering it, and it is easier to remove and refit should maintenance, painting, or taking photos be required!

I like the method you have used to transfer the power, I am thing I may look into that on my next 0-4-4T build.

• 7 months later...

There are two photos of 41903 in an excellent album recently published by the Cumbrian Railways Association featuring the photos of the Pearsall brothers [£14.50]. On page 50 is a lovely full page shot of 41903 in 1953 with lion and wheel emblem in clean condition but sadly a left hand side view. On page 54 is a smaller shot from January 1953 showing 41903 with the early British Railways livery, a right hand view, not very clear but I don't see a handrail.

The book is entitled A North Lancashire Railway Album edited by Leslie R Gilpin.

Hope this is of interest.

Edward

Just a short note on 41900 which was sent to Wellington (Salop) in August 1960 and was allegedly tried once on the Much Wenlock branch and immediately put into store at the shed. It was finally withdrawn in March 1962 and sent away for scrapping. Welling ton depots Pannier tanks were much preferred to this "alien" 0-4-4tank. Why an earth it was sent to Wellington is a mystery as the Much Wenlock branch had some gradients and the general view was that these 0-4-4 tanks were pretty feeble. Other members of the class seem to have spent much of their time in the 1950s in store. The lack of success as a prototype does not mean we can't make a model of one though and Pete is doing an excellent job of the LRM kit.

Anybody interested in Wellington (Salop) and the surrounding area (now known as Telford ) should have a read of the book The Railways of Telford published by Crowood Press, written by myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a short note on 41900 which was sent to Wellington (Salop) in August 1960 and was allegedly tried once on the Much Wenlock branch and immediately put into store at the shed. It was finally withdrawn in March 1962 and sent away for scrapping. Welling ton depots Pannier tanks were much preferred to this "alien" 0-4-4tank. Why an earth it was sent to Wellington is a mystery as the Much Wenlock branch had some gradients and the general view was that these 0-4-4 tanks were pretty feeble. Other members of the class seem to have spent much of their time in the 1950s in store. The lack of success as a prototype does not mean we can't make a model of one though and Pete is doing an excellent job of the LRM kit.

Anybody interested in Wellington (Salop) and the surrounding area (now known as Telford ) should have a read of the book The Railways of Telford published by Crowood Press, written by myself.

Another photo in the North Lancashire Railway Album [mentioned in my earlier post] shows 41904 hauling no less than nine coaches up the grade from Morecambe Bare Lane to the WCML, quite a feat from a notoriously feeble class. The exhaust is something to behold!

• 1 year later...

As a bit of a conclusion of the build so far - I like the general way the kit has gone together. A slot in the footplate for cab front & rear would have been nice.

The biggest issue I've had - which I think is me not the kit - is creating flowing curves for the likes of the cab sides. I'm happy when a whole piece curves (such as splasher tops) but need to sort out a technique that works for me with little bits. Too much fettling with pliers afterwards leaves it's mark...

I'm doing one of these too. It's a slow build (mine always are) but I was interested in your results for the bend at the top of the cab cut out. It sent me back to the drawing board to try to work out a way of doing it which would give the sort of results Michael Edge has got with his new Fowler 3P.

This is what I came up with:

post-5728-0-16171400-1510946620_thumb.jpg

I used a pair of folding bars, not to much to fold the material but to hold the workpiece. At the far side there is a piece of plasticard with a radius filed along its length. This radius matched the radius required inside the cab to fit into the cab front and back etches and was placed higher in the folding bars so the top of the radius on the plasticard was the top of the required radius of the cab. Then there is the cab sides etch and finally another piece of plastcard to act as 'soft jaws' to protect the cab etch and to provide a secure hold at the top of the cab cutout to stop distortion. All the bits and pieces were held in the folding bars by strips of double sided sellotape to help secure them in place. Then the whole thing was assembled together and the positions adjusted to give me what I wanted. Then a steel rules was used to push the cab roof over so it matched the roof.

These other pictures might help: 

First the cabside was marked out. The line is the bottom of the radius

post-5728-0-32636700-1510947259_thumb.jpg

Then the jig was assembled and put in the vice

post-5728-0-16171400-1510946620_thumb.jpg

The cab side was cleaned up with a fibre glass brush

post-5728-0-30804300-1510947519_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps

Regards

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Nor has mine been!

I initially lost momentum with it when I noticed that the cab opening is wrong, by which point I'd built too much to correct it.  However I then commissioned Justin at Rumney Models to design a rear bogie for it - on the back of MR 1P bogie which worked very well (https://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/steam-locomotive-chassis X29 at the bottom of the page - also suitable for the 2-6-4 tanks) so have built this and am just waiting for some time to bring the rest of it back onto the workbench.

However, I'm kicking off a joint project for the Scalefour society Jubilee layout competition, and this doesn't fit the theme so unlikely to be a priority very soon. However I have made more of an effort to close out projects in the last couple of years, and will get back to it before starting too many more.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

Nor has mine been!

I initially lost momentum with it when I noticed that the cab opening is wrong, by which point I'd built too much to correct it. 

How do you mean its wrong?

12 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

How do you mean its wrong?

Compare the photos of the cab side (posted by David/PenrithBeacon above) with the prototype - the doors are far nearer central in the overall opening than they are on the prototype - the doors are much further back.

I'm not sure what this means/how it affects the rest of the geometry, as I say I noticed it too late in my build to do anything about it.

Drawings are in the LMS Journal Preview edition, so it should be possible to work out where it is wrong. I'll try and make time to have a look and report back.

• Thanks 1

I always had a soft spot for this class, 41900 was allocated to Tewkesbury near the end and we regularly visited that place when I was a lad. However, 41900 never showed her face.

I have wanted a model of this class, but I am certainly not skilled enough to accept the challenge you have. I did find that CDC Models released a 3D print to fit a modified Hornby M7 chassis. Here is the result...

DSCN0098(3).JPG.e93aec99c7e2320669e8b10a86d27c4c.JPG

DSCN0101(2).JPG.ac875d7c715586bdabfd317000bcde09.JPG

The modified Hornby Stanier driving trailer to go with it!

DSCN0104(2).JPG.e6fbb80c4bee64ba76c452c4be3273f8.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not noticed that before, roughly 1mm too far forwards.

Mine is almost body complete so will leave it.

1 hour ago, MJI said:

Not noticed that before, roughly 1mm too far forwards.

Mine is almost body complete so will leave it.

I'm not surprised it isnt far Martin - but as usual with the eye it is more the ratio of front and rear cutouts than the absolute dimensions that screams.

Nice models Pete - though to be picky the Hornby brake should have its duckets removed for the diagram it relates to. They are on little pegs so easy enough to do, but I appreciate then needs a repaint/colour match so the path of least resistance is certainly the route you've taken! Nice looking print of the loco too.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Jub45565 said:

I'm not surprised it isnt far Martin - but as usual with the eye it is more the ratio of front and rear cutouts than the absolute dimensions that screams.

Nice models Pete - though to be picky the Hornby brake should have its duckets removed for the diagram it relates to. They are on little pegs so easy enough to do, but I appreciate then needs a repaint/colour match so the path of least resistance is certainly the route you've taken! Nice looking print of the loco too.

1mm would change the look a lot, but too late now, plus it would damage the sides.

3 minutes ago, MJI said:

1mm would change the look a lot, but too late now, plus it would damage the sides.

Agreed - mine is in the queue to continue as is too! It did cause a pause - and thus other things taking over the workbench instead - while I mulled it over.

• RMweb Premium

Funnny really but I am doing 41900 as well, then the Brake Third coach in the photo I am copying (Comet), after this will complete my PWM then start on 58071.