Platforms?

Looking at drawings and sketches in books of early period railway stations, raised platforms were not the norm. Some have no raised area, some have a slight one, more like a walkway, with a curb. Is there a approximate time when raised platforms started to appear?

Jim F

The answer might be to root out the regulations. Currently there are uniform standards, but certainly in the 19th Century many platforms were much lower. I recall (for example) Birch Vale (GC&Midland) which was opened circa 1870. Portable steps were provided for the less agile, but even as a kid I found getting into a DMU quite a scramble. My estimate would be that the platform would be barely half as high as a modern 'approved' version. Early coaches had two sets of stepboards for a reason.

My thanks for the info.

I may attempt (perhaps over ambitiously) to model 2 station scenes, on opposite walls of my shed. Both fictitious, I think. One based on Lyminge, the SECR Wainwright period, so I think platforms would be the higher type. The other will be a LBSCR appearing scene, and I will look at having lower platforms, perhaps based on height of footboards on the carriages.

Jim F

Archived