Colour light signals.

• RMweb Gold

For the BR period you need drawings in the BRS-SM series. The later ones showing colour light signal posts and fittings are around BRS-SM 2050 to BRS-SM 2094 although there will be others elsewhere in the series.The earlier BR version starts from around BRS-SM 51 onwards.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

For the BR period you need drawings in the BRS-SM series. The later ones showing colour light signal posts and fittings are around BRS-SM 2050 to BRS-SM 2094 although there will be others elsewhere in the series.The earlier BR version starts from around BRS-SM 51 onwards.

This sounds interesting.

Where can I gain access to these drawings please?

Thanks

Gordon

I've got some diagrams somewhere. I.'ll have a search.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks.

Gordon

• RMweb Gold

I don't have access to these drawings now but some people on here do. They may be able to help if you know specifically what you want. They are actually owned by Network Rail now I think. They are accessible through some subscription sites but I don't know af a free one at the moment.

The drawings are listed here in Appendix M20  http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_Group_Standards/Control%20Command%20and%20Signalling/Manual/GKRM0900%20Iss%203.pdf You need to scroll down to pages 157 - 165 of the PDF file for colour light signals.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Can any one point me in the direction of a book or books on colour light signalling?

I am looking for some thing with standard dimensions and types etc.

Gordon A

Bristol

The only book i've come across dedicated to colourlight signalling is this..

post-4034-0-66673200-1427394055_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-86443800-1427394113_thumb.jpg

No dimensions i'm afraid, just principles..

• RMweb Gold

Excellent book - but it doesn't provide the dimensional detail mentioned in the OP.

Oddly I'm just in the process of putting up for sale my recently acquired second copy of the LNER booklet shown above by LNERGE - excellent publication and much of what it says still holds good today (but it still doesn't answer the dimensional queries - now where did I put those drawings which would answer some of the question?)

There are lots stacked up at Dereham, ready for refurbishment and reuse. Would the dimensions of these be any good?

Big,

Yes please.

Diameter and thickness of the material used would be most useful, and if possible a few photo's.

My reason for my request is that on the Avon Valley Railway we are looking to make a small number of posts.

We have been donated some heads and lenses, so just need to manufacture the posts.

Many thanks 

Gordon A

There are lots stacked up at Dereham, ready for refurbishment and reuse. Would the dimensions of these be any good?

The ones at Dereham will be to the BRS-SM drawings. 5 1/2 diameter posts, steel plates top and bottom, clamp on ladder brackets and other additional fittings. Some are new, never been used and some recently recovered from the Ely - Norwich line. I think there may be one or two from Whitemoor Junction too. (ME54 is one)

How about posting what make they are, it's a mistake to think a BR colour light signal is just that.

All are made to BR spec's but by the signalling contractor given the contract.

Although you already have the outer diameter of the upper part of the post from the signal head mounting.

It's worth measuring the mounting before deciding on a post diameter.

Oddly I'm just in the process of putting up for sale my recently acquired second copy of the LNER booklet shown above by LNERGE - excellent publication and much of what it says still holds good today (but it still doesn't answer the dimensional queries - now where did I put those drawings which would answer some of the question?)

I bid on one on Ebay some many years back but it went for some astronomical price. I failed to get it by a long way despite a substantial bid. Talking about it to a chap at work the next day he said he thought he had a copy. It arrived by post a few days later as a freeby.

• Like 1

How about posting what make they are, it's a mistake to think a BR colour light signal is just that.

All are made to BR spec's but by the signalling contractor given the contract.

Although you already have the outer diameter of the upper part of the post from the signal head mounting.

It's worth measuring the mounting before deciding on a post diameter.

Incorrect I'm afraid..  :no:      A BR specification is what it says it is irrespective of who the manufacturer/contractor is.

On the heritage railway I am involved with we are developing a scheme which will use signal heads made by GRS, ML and Westinghouse. The GRS heads are some 60 years old whereas the Westinghouse and ML heads are about 30 years old. All three types are capable of being mounted on a BRS-SM-55 straight signal post. 

Incorrect I'm afraid..  :no:      A BR specification is what it says it is irrespective of who the manufacturer/contractor is.

On the heritage railway I am involved with we are developing a scheme which will use signal heads made by GRS, ML and Westinghouse. The GRS heads are some 60 years old whereas the Westinghouse and ML heads are about 30 years old. All three types are capable of being mounted on a BRS-SM-55 straight signal post. 

Everything is standard. Just different standards apply.

Just been watching 'First of the Thirteen' a BTF film about the Dartford re-signalling and oddly enough it mentions the heads were to be mounted on post's of 5 1/2'' dia

Indeed they are different, I would never assume when I did the odd bit of preserved railway S+T in my younger years that two parts of a signal from different manufacturers would actually fit together or even ones from the same one made in different years!

But I think here that the AVR has the heads but no posts and they want to fabricate their own.

So specs required.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to every one who has helped me with my enquiry.

I now have a number of drawings that will keep the team busy working and planning to build a couple of posts and fit the heads etc to them.

Gordon A

Bristol

Thank you to every one who has helped me with my enquiry.

I now have a number of drawings that will keep the team busy working and planning to build a couple of posts and fit the heads etc to them.

Gordon A

Bristol

Do you still need the other drawings you mentioned? I'm flitting about doing some level crossings and it's slipped my mind.