S&DJR N gauge 4F

• RMweb Gold

Five 4f built for S&DJR in 1922 by Armstrong Whitworth. They were numbered 57-61 and were delivered in plain black.

This is a well known photo. The SDJR is close together on the tender sides. Highbridge spaced it out.

So pretty as it is the 4f did not appear in blue. However I am sure a couple of the 3f did....

Rob

post-14122-0-13467600-1427558065_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Five 4f built for S&DJR in 1922 by Armstrong Whitworth. They were numbered 57-61 and were delivered in plain black.

This is a well known photo. The SDJR is close together on the tender sides. Highbridge spaced it out.

So pretty as it is the 4f did not appear in blue. However I am sure a couple of the 3f did....

Rob

If you want to see the whole shot, you can see it at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/26349957/in/album/512561. While lined blue locos seem to have had wheels lined, especially in older photos, the lining wasn't as thickly applied as on this model. Mind you I am not a fan of the blue 7F 88. I know that the official photo showed 80 in lined photographic grey, but that's no excuse. If they wanted to paint something blue, they could have chosen a Jinty or a 3F 0-6-0, which I think both had some examples in blue.

Archived