Lovely build Steve.  I like the randomised brick colour.  The thing that worries me about laser etch, is the depth of mortar lines and getting them coloured.  Yours look excellent, how do you do it?  One thing that occurred to me was to paint the brickwork and after dry, use a scrawker to remove paint from the mortar lines.  The natural material colour looks like mortar I think.

John

I prime the MDF with grey primer then give all the brick work a few coats of gloss white again from a spray can. I use railmatch bauxite for the base brick colour although Halfords red oxide also works well. The blue is Phoenix engineers.

I then individually pick out bricks using humbrol Matt 60, 82, 100 and gloss 18. Once dry I add the mortar wash which is quickly painted on and wiped away. Some dry brushing mainly in Matt black tones everything down or a blast of dullcote.

The gloss white seals the MDF before the top coats and this allows you to wipe away the mortar colour ( I always use a water based colour for this step ) instead of it absorbing in.

Thanks for the advice Steve.  Good instructions.   I have some LCUT kits but haven't started yet.

John

I cut my kits out a harder material so I can go deeper than LCUT. My bricks can take a reasonable amount of sanding if required without loosing the mortar lines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you got pics of all of the modules Phil (and the prices); I did see a post on Facebook and they look very useful.

Thanks Andy,

Getting some better pictures done but here is the real building that was inspirational for the modules and some of the modules themselves.

post-1485-0-74899700-1494775601_thumb.jpg

post-1485-0-52993300-1494775716_thumb.jpeg

post-1485-0-51821900-1494776204_thumb.jpeg

post-1485-0-44861100-1494776028_thumb.jpg

This is two modules, an A1 and a B2 size.

post-1485-0-89175300-1494776323_thumb.jpeg

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 3

I can probably rescale the warehouse to 4mm if anyone would be interested?

I was going to ask in due course if that would be possible; not needed for a while yet but useful to know that you're open to it.

• Like 2

Hi Phil - checked your website out, not sure what you currently do in the way of single track bridges, please?

Also, which shows do you regularly go to with your products, please?

Thanks.

I've got arched and steel bridges. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll have a look to see what I have. I've got a tonne of resource that is not on the website.

Those warehouse modules look great. I just need to look how many, which styles and how to make them look a little GWR-LMS-ish.

Paint scheme, top of window in each corner add a quoin stone could do it for me.

Whoo hoo seems like a plan for my new project for the "Layout with no name".

Great stuff Phil.

Edited by Barnaby

• RMweb Gold

I've got arched and steel bridges. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll have a look to see what I have. I've got a tonne of resource that is not on the website.

I'm looking for either a single track brick arch bridge or a single track steel girder bridge, both would be road-over-rail, to act as the scenic break into the fiddle yard.

Thanks.

I'm looking for either a single track brick arch bridge or a single track steel girder bridge, both would be road-over-rail, to act as the scenic break into the fiddle yard.

Thanks.

Captain,

What about this? Can have wing walls or without?

post-1485-0-45476200-1495368733_thumb.jpg

• Like 4