End of the line

d winpenny

• 2 weeks later...

Up to 50 HAAs now

attachicon.gif293F2872-5FE7-42D2-8E27-12D094EF5569.jpeg

David

Not bad considering way back in '78 on the Cumbrian diagrams it was a maximum of a 47 with 29 HAA plus a brake van (yes we could count at 15 years old :D )  - obviously they are for a yard layout?

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

Hi Ian

My aim 'I think' is to try and keep it to the KISS principle for now so 2 main running lines running through the scenery and expand at a later date although that could go out the window when I actually start building but for now I'm sticking to picking up rolling stock as an when funds allow so I recon another 10 HAAs which would make 60 so I could run 3 rakes of 20 or 2 full rakes of 30 and another 3 TEAs which would bring that up to 8. Then I'm looking to pick up a Heljan coal sector 58, then maybe a metals 37 to run with some BDAs to add a bit of variety then I'll install DCC sound and weather everything at least that's the plan for me I prefer collecting the rakes and operating them as opposed to building the layout which would explain my track record of not finishing layouts past bare boards

David

• Like 1

Well it would appear the Hornby railroad buffers aren’t under nourished after all here are some comparisons between the original and the Lanarkshire Models version these are their 20.5” oleo with 13” head which is correct from the information I’ve found

post-10013-0-59652400-1520605568_thumb.jpeg

post-10013-0-43736100-1520605587_thumb.jpeg

So i think I’ll just use them on the outers as they are a tad finer

David

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 1

I have just bought a pack of scrap from a company called Goodwood scenics http://www.goodwoodscenics.co.uk/ Which seamed good value for money for me, the pack was wood rather than Plastic with some additional metal bits, I noticed that they did coal too http://www.goodwoodscenics.co.uk/coal it may work out more economical than the parkside loads ( unless it ends up on the floor / in a vacuum cleaner ).

Simon

Have been watching your MGR project with interest.  From my experience and possibly a slightly empty stable comment here, but I found nothing better than a lump of real coal crushed up and added to a load former to get that MGR look.  

Also the look of the load will vary quiet a bit dependant upon where and how is was loaded.

see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/469/entry-13100-mgr-wagon-haa-making-coal-loads/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to let anyone that maybe interested I am still alive I’ve fitted 20 mgrs with instanters so far there has been a couple more developments on the motive power front and should hopefully have some pictures on Monday so in the meantime here is a picture of my workbench looking a bit like Milford junction

post-10013-0-23104200-1524069961_thumb.jpeg

David

• Like 8

Now as promised here’s my motive power update,

56127 bought weathered now fitted with legoman biffo sound

post-10013-0-88054500-1524514018_thumb.jpeg

56095 bought with factory sound just got back with a nice coat of grime

post-10013-0-20070900-1524514153_thumb.jpeg

Originally 60014 Alexander Fleming now renumbered sectorized and weathered

post-10013-0-35587700-1524514229_thumb.jpeg

And my latest purchase Heljan 58028 this will be getting coal sector logos and weathered next

post-10013-0-10468300-1524514323_thumb.jpeg

David

• Like 9

56095 used to be everywhere, it seamed to follow me like a dog on a lead

Yes, its crazy how you always seem to see one loco everywhere.  For me it were 47603 County of Somerset, after it rescued us on a BR Excursion to Edinburgh which were originally hauled by Thomas Telford, which expired!  Arrived in Edinburgh hours late, and always recall on route there was a Class 26 on its side.

In the privatisation era, it were always 47845 "County of Kent" in Virgin which always used to turn up!

Regards,

C. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With everything being pack away for a while I set up a 6x4 and a set up a loop to test the 58 and run some trains

Heljan class 58 on 18 mgrs the length I’ll probably be running most of the time

post-10013-0-07380500-1526207371_thumb.jpeg

And this is 28 wagons even with the basic Hornby controller the 58 didn’t struggle st all

post-10013-0-44243900-1526207389_thumb.jpeg

Just a little wagon update I’m up to 48 out of the 54 I want which 3 x 18 or 2 x 27

Out of those 28 out of the 48 have instanters and 1 of the 7 tea tanks has an instanter fitted

Loco wise nothing to report

David

• Like 2

Hi Dave

IS that just running off one speaker if so is it a base type or it a standard smaller version...?

Regards

Jamie

Just one standard rectangular speaker I do have a bass reflex speaker but I haven't had chance to swop it yet although I had the chance to test it with a class 20 chip with no speaker so I have high hopes

David

Hi Dave

I would be interested if you did swap it for a base speaker what the sound difference would be, whether it would have a deeper sound to it, but I thought it sounded like it had which is why I asked you the question... interesting,,,

Regards

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I am still alive just been dead busy with work and the like to anything meaningful. I had to put the loop away as we needed the space back but I had 5 minutes this afternoon so I got the stock and some track out to have a mess around with and here is the result where the 58 is is the main lines they will be further back from the edge if I go in this direction as a layout and then where the rakes are positioned are stabling sidings I will probably frame both sides with a low embankment at the front with a slightly higher one at the back with a road bridge at both ends.

post-10013-0-35804800-1527847722_thumb.jpeg

PS please take all the above ramblings with a pinch of salt as space will ultimately be the deciding factor in any plans, enjoy David

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 5

Hi everyone I am still alive just been dead busy with work and the like to anything meaningful. I had to put the loop away as we needed the space back but I had 5 minutes this afternoon so I got the stock and some track out to have a mess around with and here is the result where the 58 is is the main lines they will be further back from the edge if I go in this direction as a layout and then where the rakes are positioned are stabling sidings I will probably frame both sides with a low embankment at the front with a slightly higher one at the back with a road bridge at both ends.

attachicon.gifF879993F-06EB-4F52-81E2-5150686DAD5A.jpeg

PS please take all the above ramblings with a pinch of salt as space will ultimately be the deciding factor in any plans, enjoy David

Do you have enough space at the back for a running shed or a wagon repair shed single line ? just to add a operational interest with an 08 to shunt the wagons around ?

Simon

p.s.

I just got 56 128 today :) so I am after three dozen HAAs myself ( but am probably going to settle for 10 ).

• Like 1

Hi Simon I was thinking of adding in a cripple siding in if I went with this option. Another option I've had floating around is a dog bone style layout with each end hidden as well as some hidden stock storage so the scenic are give the impression of a quite busy 4 track section. Another option is going full circle on the thread and got back to knottingley as an option but like I said time and money will ultimately be the deciding factors.

Very nice I definitely want at least 1 more 56 but first of all I might get a metals 37 and some bdas just to mix up the traffic flows a bit more, I went for 18 haas because it was the right compromise between looking right without looking to cramped in the space available

David

• Like 1

Heljan class 58 on 18 mgrs the length I’ll probably be running most of the time

And this is 28 wagons even with the basic Hornby controller the 58 didn’t struggle st all

David

Hi Dave

Yes... but will the same still be true if you use a basic Hornby 58 as a pose to a basic Hornby Controller... 

or will you have the smell like burning coal from the Hornby Motor  :nono:

Good job you said it was a Heljan 58... :no:

Great work on the HAA's and the Pipe Lagging to use a coal, looking back at one of your Links.... was genius idea...!

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie I wouldn't like to test that theory although I think you'd probably be correct on he burnt out motor theory or at least some extreme wheel spin. I'm using the peco/parkside coal loads I believe it was Jaggzuk that suggested that one. I haven't forgotten about the speaker I've just not had chance to change them yet.

David

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 1

Hi Jamie I wouldn't like to test that theory although I think you'd probably be correct on he burnt out motor theory or at least some extreme wheel spin. I'm using the peco/parkside coal loads I believe it was Jaggzuk that suggested that one. I haven't forgotten about the speaker I've just not had chance to change them yet.

David

Hi David

Thank you for coring my quote....sorry

No rush on the Speaker, I do like this thread so I'll keep popping by to see the progress...

Question for you David, what's the different between the Yellow HAA's and the Red HAA's and ones that went on to be EWS, were the Yellow sub sector...? I'm not up to date on HAA's but always look smart on a long rake, just as I remember them being.

Regards

Jamie