Rapido's Next UK Project - 3D Scan Party at Locomotion 8 April

rapidobill

• RMweb Gold

Oh come on, I've just built one!

And I'm really tempted by this one..

But it'll make mine look rubbish...

But I want one...

But it's really expensive and my C1 Is arriving any minute...

Why is Locomotion so cruel!!!!

No pain......No gain. NRM Locomotion establishes itself as the innovative cradle of British model engineering.

Plaudits to Brian,Simon,Sandra,Jason and Bill and all concerned.

• RMweb Premium

It's nice to see a steam loco from Rapido, especially one as aged - it shows they're interested in potentially anything and everything. However, it's not within my geographical or era limitations, so no dip for me.

Regarding the price, if it's to a very high standard then £200 is probably reasonable. We can't have high specs for pennies, and it's been mentioned by me and others that for the level of detail we want this is the kind of price we're going to have to be prepared to pay. It's that or 'design clever' (or worse).

I wonder if it would be possible to have both tenders available separately too?

Is the model being produced to a set amount or is there going to be an order deadline as with other Rapido models? I'd rather see a pre-prod sample before ordering with this one

Can we have one with a face and called Emily?

I'll fetch me coat.

My first comment when the model was proposed:

"But it's been done! In WOOD! We don't need another one."

I suggested that for £199 we could use REALLY NICE WOOD.  I can't understand why my suggestion wasn't followed.

-Jason

It's nice to see a steam loco from Rapido, especially one as aged - it shows they're interested in potentially anything and everything. However, it's not within my geographical or era limitations, so no dip for me.

Regarding the price, if it's to a very high standard then £200 is probably reasonable. We can't have high specs for pennies, and it's been mentioned by me and others that for the level of detail we want this is the kind of price we're going to have to be prepared to pay. It's that or 'design clever' (or worse).

I would say £200.00 is to be expected for a model that the main companies would not take a chance on. In fact £200 is most reasonable considering the livery and everything else. On the face of it, not many people model the era of the Stirling locomotives and so the potential market is 'collectors'. This is obvious from people ordering the AP-T and a Single! But another facet is marketting and folk are glad to assist Locomotion NRM in their endeavours. Speaking as an onlooker, the model has no value to me personally seeing as I dont need or want one, which is why I value the so-called 'run of the mill' production models from Hornby and Bachmann currently coming in at between £80.00 and £150.00. A Hornby GWR Grange costing me £100.00 is no less intricate or inferior to a commissioned 'Special', but I do at least understand the economics of both markets, which is why you won't find me price-moaning.

• RMweb Gold

I would say £200.00 is to be expected for a model that the main companies would not take a chance on. In fact £200 is most reasonable considering the livery and everything else. On the face of it, not many people model the era of the Stirling locomotives and so the potential market is 'collectors'. This is obvious from people ordering the AP-T and a Single! But another facet is marketting and folk are glad to assist Locomotion NRM in their endeavours. Speaking as an onlooker, the model has no value to me personally seeing as I dont need or want one, which is why I value the so-called 'run of the mill' production models from Hornby and Bachmann currently coming in at between £80.00 and £150.00. A Hornby GWR Grange costing me £100.00 is no less intricate or inferior to a commissioned 'Special', but I do at least understand the economics of both markets, which is why you won't find me price-moaning.

Agree the price is pretty good for such an esoteric prototype.  In fact assuming the ESU decoder for the sound version is a Loksound V4 the sound version is  even better value as the decoders cost between £90 and £120 with sound installed.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent, well done Locomotion and Rapido. Somewhere I read a sentence saying the Sturrock would be the "first" model and the original/current tender "second".  Jason, Bill, or Sandra, do you anticipate a long time gap or roughly simultaneous release ?  Tom

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest, what do people think about the price point? People bemoaned Bachmann for their pricing on the atlantic, yet this is a stage above. I'm not knocking Rapido's pricing structure by the way, merely asking a question...

Personally, like the Atlantic, I would love one. Cannot justify it as its not my main area of interest and to be honest even if it was I think I would struggle to find £200 for a loco, There is also a mental block somewhere there to overcome.

To be honest it's a bit less than I was expecting but it has clearly been priced to come in below the £200 mark  (which is rapidly becoming the new equivalent of what was a £100 'mental barrier' for loco prices only 2-3 years ago.

Anyway great idea, lovely engine, where's my Easter Egg (referring to another thread) :)  (only joking, I already know the answer to that one)

Archived