Rapido's Next UK Project - 3D Scan Party at Locomotion 8 April

rapidobill

Where is the original POP train?

Sadly POP was scrapped in the 80s sometime, I've seen photos of the destruction.  :nono:

It's been suggested more than once that we build another one, it's only lengths of RHS and steel sheet after all, but we'd need new build bogies as well and that's a whole new ball game.

Sadly POP was scrapped in the 80s sometime, I've seen photos of the destruction.  :nono:

It's been suggested more than once that we build another one, it's only lengths of RHS and steel sheet after all, but we'd need new build bogies as well and that's a whole new ball game.

Can only think its the HST Phototype then.

• RMweb Premium

But that then means a rake of matching grey/blue coaches.........., with a minimum of three body variants. Cue wishlisting for Rapido to do Mk3's..............

Cheers,

Mick

Guest spet0114

Bit of a shame if it is.

The reason I say that is not because it's not a worthy prototype to model, but more what might be loosely termed the 'logisitics' of the thing.

If they just model the power car (this is after all the 'National Collection in Miniature' and only the power car is in the collection), then it's a bit of a limited market as there can't be that many folk who'll just want a single power car.

If they go the other way, and do a complete unit (whichever one of the various configurations would they choose?) then it'll certainly be out of my budget and, I suspect, that of many others.

However, with the recent revivial of 41001, it'd be a timely model at least.

Cheers

Adrian

But that then means a rake of matching grey/blue coaches.........., with a minimum of three body variants. Cue wishlisting for Rapido to do Mk3's..............

Cheers,

Mick

Which given their so far work on the APT-E, they're more than capable of doing.

If they just model the power car (this is after all the 'National Collection in Miniature' and only the power car is in the collection), then it's a bit of a limited market as there can't be that many folk who'll just want a single power car.

I agree although I fall into the category of somebody who would only want one power car as that is all I can fit on the layout:

post-7400-0-91886300-1427827254_thumb.jpg

with a minimum of three body variants.

Two surely, but three interiors.

Whilst I personally think a full prototype HST is unlikely, and it'll just be the power car, the prototype MK3's would be a very good gateway product for Rapido as it is a small hop step and a jump to loco hauled MK3a from these which wouldn't strictly be competing head to head with Hornby (though let's face it, Hornby do seem to have screwed up somewhat with their latest batch of MK3s).

• RMweb Premium

Two surely, but three interiors.

Whilst I personally think a full prototype HST is unlikely, and it'll just be the power car, the prototype MK3's would be a very good gateway product for Rapido as it is a small hop step and a jump to loco hauled MK3a from these which wouldn't strictly be competing head to head with Hornby (though let's face it, Hornby do seem to have screwed up somewhat with their latest batch of MK3s).Oops -

Oops - you're correct, (I blame jetlag and altitude sickness for the brain fade) I thought the prototype HST had two variants of catering car, but it was the ER production HST's that did.

Cheers,

Mick

Guest spet0114

Oops - you're correct, (I blame jetlag and altitude sickness for the brain fade) I thought the prototype HST had two variants of catering car, but it was the ER production HST's that did.

Cheers,

Mick

Didn't the prototype HST run with an altered Mk1 coach in the formation at some point, or did I imagine that?

Personally I think that Rapido just want to be able to recreate this scene. ;) :locomotive:

apt89b.jpg

I've wanted to recreate that scene myself for years :)

I've had a pair of prototype hst noses and a pair of Hornby hst powercars ready to convert for a while but i'm holding off with fingers crossed that the next project is the prototype hst power car! I don't care if I have to buy 2 seperate powercars and convert a set of Hornby mk3's (I'd rather not have to but i don't mind)

I took this screengrab from the recent BBC Timeshift programme on British Rail as I was intrigued by the coach, no doubt there are better images out there.

If memory serves me right... I think the Mk1 Buffet was fitted with Mk3 bogies

• RMweb Gold

It ran with various unusual coaches over the years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23987565@N05/8073498761

post-13463-0-93286700-1364377555.jpg

Is the apt powercar actually running here or is it just dead weight? I know that The HST was used to control ( both powered and unpowered) an electric class 91 (? ) which I find staggering that two trains from two different generations and completetly different technolgies could do. In Denmark, we have a massive problems with brand new IC4 trains that can not run at all if you couple two sets of the SAME type together! An amazing cockup, which has complete destroyed all the timetables for trains that spit into sections during the trip.

It surely was Swindon. That was the furthest west E-Train ever got to, and it was a bit of a fiddle to get the shot. There was no love lost between the 'HST guys' and the 'APT guys' even though both trains were stabled at Old Oak Common for the three week period of our high speed runs. At least that held true for the hierarchy, at a 'nut and bolt' level where I was we worked pretty well together, but operationally there were some who didn't want that sort of pic to be taken, but the BR Publicity people insisted.  :no:

That pic was on the cover of Modern Railways at the time, I've still got it somewhere.

I hope you'll notice that E-Train was conforming to the Rule Book in that we had facilities to carry a red oil lamp whereas the 252 Power car doesn't. One rule for you, one rule for me.....

The small vertical bar at the bottom right hand side of the E-Train's yellow nose panel is the oil lamp bracket. I foresee a market for someone making PE versions of it to make your E-Train models even more accurate.....

Slight off topic, did either the APT-E or HST prototype ever run alongside the Blue Pullmans? I know the BPs were withdrawn in 1973 but I don't know when the HST prototype and the APT arrived on Western metals for testing.

Archived